Author Topic: advice on what dough mixer to purchase hobart h600t 60qt?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline paulyman

advice on what dough mixer to purchase hobart h600t 60qt?
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »
hello I am starting a new shop.   I have worked in the pizza industry for 3 years and have always seen Hobart mixers.   on my last job we used the Hobart 600t 60 qt dough mixer.     I am looking to purchase a used one from a reputable food equipment sale.    Are there some things I should look for when buying one of these.   whats the difference between a 3 phase and 1 phase.  Which phase is better? are the old hobarts just as good if not better than the new ones as long as they have been taken care of?    Is Hobart the standard?   Are there any models I should be care full buying?     Any advice would be great.   thanks

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: advice on what dough mixer to purchase hobart h600t 60qt?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »
First I would figure out  how much dough you will be needing to mix and base you size on that.  The 60qt hobarts are great.  The old ones I prefer because they don't have the safety cage around them and are bare bone electronics.  The safety cage switch will not let the mixer turn on if it is not closed.  Also you can add ingredients to the old ones while they are running a lot easier without the cage.  I would avoid all the spin offs that are made in China.  Some like thunderbird, claim to make the stuff in Germany and have it assembled in China.  The price will be a lot cheaper but the quality will be cheap too.  Hobart is a workhorse.  On used models watch out for welded shafts.  People usually overload/and do stupid things with them in commercial applications and a snapped shaft that is welded is not uncommon on a poorly maintained/overworked mixer.  Common sense plays into it.  Make sure the gears run/shift smooth/quiet, it is filled with grease, the timer works, the bowl is a hobart bowl and not rusted, the attachments are solid, everything moves nicely and finally put it under a good load and seel how it performs.  So much used by dealer stuff is pure garbage.  Ideally you can find a small shop that is family run selling a mixer and they care for their equipment.  When you have a lot of employees and high turnover of employees equipment gets trashed.  You can also hire a reputable repair person to give the mixer a look over. I would do that.  It will be worth the price.   I don't enough about the phase stuff to comment on that.  Walter
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:35:29 PM by waltertore »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
Are you opening in an exsiting resturant location ? there may be 3 phase there ? If not 3 Phase is quite expensive to get to the building depending on location of power at the property can cost a  quite Bit of $$. I think it Must be seperate line all the way from the pole or source. Not sure the 60qt obart comes in a single phase ? Be sure to get pricing to install the 3 phase I would love to know the cost
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:03:38 PM »
I bought a building that had a 30QT spiral mixer in it, I was weary at first, but I will never use a planetary mixer again for making dough, I like it that much.

Take a look at VCM's, you can use them for everything, unlike a spiral mixer which is only suitable for dough.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline tim darshan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:19:27 PM »
Hi, I would strongly recommend researching small spiral mixers. They are much more gentle with the dough, developing  the gluten more efficiently. Hobarts are good all-purpose mixing tools, but, although ubiquitous, are far less than ideal for any kind of bread making.

Offline paulyman

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
Thank you so much for your input everyone!