Author Topic: Peels: wood or steel? Other issues?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
Peels: wood or steel? Other issues?
« on: September 12, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
Does this group have a consensus on the best peel for a beginner making 12" pies in a home oven?  I was influenced toward stainless as less likely to stick.  But I have always liked wood products by their look and feel.  Guidance please?  I may also do some bread baking, so perhaps I should get two different peels?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Peels: wood or steel? Other issues?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 04:18:58 PM »
It's personal preference. There isn't a big advantage to either. For your home oven you don't need a very long handle. I prefer a squareish head to round.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
Jinhua , welcome to the forum. I do not believe that there is a consensus. I have both wood and perforated metal. I prefer the perforated metal because it is easy to get the bench flower to fall thru the holes as you transport your pie to the oven.
Try both if you can and do your own evaluation.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 05:51:11 PM »
I agree it is a personal preference.
My experience has been for beginner to dress the pizza on a wooden peel using corn flour. I found the wood to be less likely to stick due to the natural fibers. Corn flour is less likely to make a big patch under your dough as well.

Then as your skill grow, you can dress the pizza on your counter top and use the perforated metal peel to pick it up.

You can always use the wood peel for bread if you end-up only using the metal peel for pizza.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
Jinhua,

For my home oven, I use a wooden peel with a squareish head as Craig mentioned above to launch the pie onto my pizza stone.  But I use a large steel spatula about 12" wide to lift and turn the pizza half way through the bake because its easier to lift off of the stone than the wooden peel, IMO.  Good luck!

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
Thanks all!

Online barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
Absolute best for a beginner, by a big margin, is a superpeel.  I have never had a sticking problem with a superpeel.  I have had a number of bad launches with regular peels ( pizza stuck to the peel,  part of the pizza stuck to the peel, pizza didn't stick and instead took off and went past the pizza stone , etc ).  With the superpeel, you can take your time dressing the pizza and it won't stick .  I use 82% hydration wheat flour pies, and no flour on the super peel and still no sticking.   I may sound like a shill, but actually just very impressed with his product.  It also lets you place the pie pretty precisely, though probably not much of a concern if you are making a 12 inch pie.

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 06:45:39 PM »
Super peel looks brilliant. Tnx. Barry.

Offline mp233069

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
Hi there,

Launch with wood and retrieve with metal. I have a couple of wood peels, one is home made from some wood I had laying around, the other is a sassafras wood peel. My metal peel is a cheap aluminum with wood handle. Make sure the handles are long enough so you don't get burned.

Mario

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »
Super peel looks brilliant. Tnx. Barry.

It's really 'brilliant' when it catches fire in your WFO...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 11:21:13 PM »
It's really 'brilliant' when it catches fire in your WFO...

:-D :-D

Offline ged92781

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 03:19:58 AM »
I'd have to agree it's a matter of preference, but I've personally found the wood peel with a rounded head to be easier for putting pizzas into the oven since it's not flexible like the metal ones are. I also like to leave the crust hanging off the front end a half-inch. It makes it easier to get the pizza to catch on my baking steel and set it accurately.