Author Topic: King flour pizza experiment  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Slamdunkpro

King flour pizza experiment
« on: March 18, 2006, 05:31:15 PM »
I finally got hold of some King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour thought Baker’s catalog. At the same time out of curiosity I ordered some of their whole white wheat flour.

I made two NY style pies the other day one with each type of flour. I did add two teaspoons of wheat gluten to the whole-wheat pizza.  While the “white” whole wheat is lighter than the regular whole wheat it is noticeably darker than regular white flour.
Results:

Sir Lancelot flour pie:
This pie is everything I hoped for in a NY style pie.  The SL flour is far superior to bread flour with added wheat gluten in both workability and taste

King Arthur White Whole Wheat pie:
This pie was very interesting. While not a traditional NY style dough it was very workable.  It did not exhibit the bitterness or sharpness of a dough made with traditional whole wheat flour but had almost a sourdough taste and crumb.

Conclusion: If you really like pizza it’s worth either ordering a 3lb bags of King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour or finding and splitting a 50lb bag. If you are ordering, add on a bag of the white whole wheat flour and play with it.

The pies are shown below with the Sir Lancelot pie being on top

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
Re: King flour pizza experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:36:15 PM »
Slamdunkpro,

I've been getting KA white whole wheat at Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's.  Did you use 2 tsp VWG per cup of flour?  I've been using 3 tsp/cup and getting good lift and chewiness.  What kneading procedure did you use with the whole wheat?  Thanks for sharing your experience.

charbo

Offline Slamdunkpro

Re: King flour pizza experiment
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 03:16:35 PM »
3 tsp per cup

Machine knead - 15 min

pizzapan