Author Topic: snow day  (Read 538 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
snow day
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »
We had one Friday and another today.  We have a cookie order for 3,000 healthy school wellness chocolat chips today.  I emailed our school cafeteria (they buy about 6,000 a month from us) and offered to come in and bake off the remaining 500 or so we didn't finish yesterday.  The head of our district cafeteria kitchen emailed me right back not to worry.  They will take what we have tomorrow.  Schools are great to work with for my program.  We are on the same work calendar, they are extremely flexible, they pay right away, and they are willing to hire my students when openings arise.  We have contracts with Newark City Schools, Granville Exempted Village Schools, and Denison University.  I couldn't ask for better top 3 clients :)  I am enjoying my morning off and saying thanks for having such a wonderful job. I get to run a real bakery/pizzeria and am exempt from 99% of the stress that is in a regular shop.   I have a lot of hoops to jump to keep my program solvent but that is ok I am realizing.  We made dough Wed and with school closed Friday I came in yesterday to a lot of dough in the fridge.  We had a big stromboli order friday for the school ROTC program and had to cancel it.  We made pizza with the dough yesterday.  It was 5 days old and came out and tasted great.  There are still about 10 doughballs left. I can't wait to try them tomorow.  That will put them at 7 days.  There is a pizza competition at the Pizza convention in Columbus.  I am tempted to enter it with some old dough and make a simple cheese pie.....   The only downside today is I will not have my 2 slices for lunch!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: snow day
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »
I don't know about this whole snow thing you guys have going on up there. Unless it's floating in our ice tea or coke or chilling our beer, we generally prefer our water in liquid form down here.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
I don't know about this whole snow thing you guys have going on up there. Unless it's floating in our ice tea or coke or chilling our beer, we generally prefer our water in liquid form down here.  ;D

Craig: I lived in Houston for 6 months and Austin for 11  years.  I remember when a slight dusting of snow fell in Austin 1 year it shut the whole town down.  Here it takes a few inches but I know in places like Buffalo it takes a few feet to shut school down.  One thing I don't miss about TX is the 6 month summer that is so hot for so long that I was shocked when first moving there.  It was much like winter here.  Most people stay inside in AC and here with heat.  Give me the SF Bay area climate anyday!  Walter

Offline Polo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
Winter without snow is like chili without beans.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:21:50 AM »

Yes. You got it! Both are exactly as they should be.  :-D I couldn't have said it better.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 12:24:36 AM »
Without snow...there'd be no Santa.... ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Polo

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »
Yes. You got it! Both are exactly as they should be.  :-D I couldn't have said it better.

I kind of figured that would work for you too  ;)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
Without snow...there'd be no Santa.... ;D

My boys put our reindeer food on Christmas eve, and it's always gone in the morning...

We actually did have about a foot of snow on Christmas eve about 7 or 8 years ago. I guess it was kind of like lake effect snow. The closer you got to the beach, the more snow you got. On the beach, there was two feet in places. By the time you got as far north as downtown, there was almost none. Interestingly, the temperature never dropped below freezing here. Santa seems to make it just fine either way.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »

^^^
Mary Ann