Author Topic: Sweet Dough recipe for cinnamon rolls, got one to share??  (Read 1080 times)

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Sweet Dough recipe for cinnamon rolls, got one to share??
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »
I had some blown out pizza dough that I wanted to use up, so I rolled it out to make some cinnamon rolls for bread pudding,  they were made specifically for "Bread Pudding" cuz I knew they might be a bit tough and bland.
We sold the heck out of that stuff in a matter of hours on a slower than usual night.

So now I'm thinking I should offer large cinnamon rolls for a dessert item, and use up any leftover rolls  for our bread pudding.
The high-protein dough worked great for bread pudding, but I do not see it being optimum for fresh hot cinnamon rolls.

Does anyone have a nice tender flavorful sweet dough recipe in bakers percents that they would kindly share with me?

Mr Lehmann, your contribution would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Sweet Dough recipe for cinnamon rolls, got one to share??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 11:53:41 PM »
100% flour, i'd say bread flour
55% water
5% butter
6%** sugar (4% brown 2% honey if possible)
1% salt (assuming salted butter)
2% yeast

make the dough as normal, but add the melted butter in the recipe right before your dough pulls together.   pretty much spot on to the last sweet dough recipe i used, only i've done 2:1 with the sugar/honey in the past when making cinnabon clones.  and lemon juice in the glaze when you get to there. allrecipes has an amazing cinnabon clone recipe for the glaze. 
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline TXCraig1

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »
Thank you all for your contributions

With that dough formulation, is the yeast percentage for fresh Cake, ADY, or IDY?
I'm using IDY since getting fresh yeast in this area is iffy at best

Now I have a reason to pull that big heavy dough sheeter out of storage that I've been hanging onto.

My plan is to make some monstrous cinnamon rolls for a dessert item here, and if they do not sell that day, they will get turned into bread pudding.
There was a bakery in Milwaukee that used to bake cinnamon rolls in muffin tins, and call them "Morning Buns" maybe I'll give that a shot to see how the come out, and do a regular pan too and see which I like better

Bread Flour:
I'm thinking I want a lower protein content for a more tender roll, The batch that I made with my blown out pizza dough were just barely okay as a roll, but not the spectacular product that I would want to sell as a cinnamon roll. It made a great bread pudding though

I've been doing some dessert pizzas here too, so I think I might need to try the sweet dough for those to see if I can bake them at the same temps I have been using without too much browning.

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
I used the sweet dough formulation that was shared, I used APF, and I added a few eggs.

and I split the water percentage with an equal amount of whole milk.

The cinnamon rolls turned out spectacular, and they made a great pan of bread pudding the next day too.

Thank you for sharing

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
GotRocks,

Since you originally directed your request to Tom Lehmann, I thought that you might find this PMQ Think Tank post of interest:

http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13883&p=85098&hilit=#p85098

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
If you're testing different recipes for selling in your shop, I would definitely give this one a try:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10194.msg89323.html#msg89323

It is from Peter Reinhart's old Brother Juniper's Bread Book. Can't seem to locate my copy. I hope I didn't lend it to someone who forgot to return it.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »
look  around the internet or your local library for books/recipes from Ciril Hitz, the guys a master baker, has recipes for any type of pastry you can imagine.

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
Thank you for all the replies.

What I originally thought was going to be an outlet for blown out dough, has become a very popular product

Due to demand,  I was forced to get frozen "Cinnamon roll Logs" from Rich's.
I looked at food & labor cost, prep space requirements, and many other factors before making this decision, and I am farther ahead getting a frozen, proof & bake product to do this with.

If I would've had any clue that bread pudding would have been this popular, I would have been making it years ago!
I have people buying full pans of it to take with them.
The day that I bake the cinnamon rolls, we've been selling more and more those, and I use day-old for pudding if I have any. Lately I am having trouble keeping up on both sides of the product.