Author Topic: Ohio meets NJ pizza summit  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Ohio meets NJ pizza summit
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
Derrick,

Some time ago, I researched the matter of lactose in mozzarella cheese, and I did find many articles that talked about lactose intolerance among many ethnic groups, including Asians. It was part of my usual reverse engineering work where I studied the Sugars in mozzarella cheese as recited in Nutrition Facts. Much to my surprise, I discovered that the amount of lactose in mozzarella cheese is quite low, especially in relation to other dairy products. In fact, if you look at the Nutrition Facts for the shredded form of the Grande whole milk mozzarella cheese, as given at http://www.grandecheese.com/products/Pages/Product_Spec.aspx?ProductMasterID=15, you will see that the Sugars, which includes lactose, is given as 0 for one ounce of that cheese. I am sure that that number goes up when you increase the amount of cheese, but if you look at the Nutrition Facts for a more or less generic whole milk mozzarella cheese as given at the NutritionData.Self.com website at http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/25/2, you will see that one cup of that cheese in shredded form has 1.2 grams of Sugars. And if you click on the More Details tab under Carbohydrates, you will see that the lactose included in that amount of cheese is 78.4 mg.

What I found from my research is that the lactose content of mozzarella cheese is fairly low because the lactose, or most of it, is removed when making the cheese. See, for example, the article at http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/mozzarella-lactose-6826.html. As the article cautions, one shouldn't go overboard on dairy products with lactose but a reasonable amount of mozzarella cheese, and especially the drier forms, shouldn't pose a problem for most people who are lactose intolerant.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »
I'm sure Ryans guests know whether or not they can eat pizza. 
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
Man, this is gonna be awesome! And for a minute I thought I was being pushy by asking you if this Sunday would work.

All systems go on this end. 

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
Walter,
Really great post you wrote: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29015.msg291887.html#msg291887.  I'm sure many readers enjoyed it.  If I were located near your summit, I'd be there.
Dave

Thanks Dave.  I am old school, too old for this new wham bam techno approach to life and pizza with a kazillion toppings, basterdized to all ends........   I grew up in the mom and pop shops of NJ, worked in them, and learned via my mother and her family from Italy.  My mothers maiden name is Gallata.  They call me Mr. G. here at school (gloshinski my polish father was).  I figure I will call my shop Mr. G's Jersey Pizzeria in honor of her and her family who were master bakers and dabbled in pizza.   You are welcome out here anytime.   Walter
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:14:54 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »
I just finished making all my 48-hour dough for Sunday (three different styles, plus I made one batch yesterday and one batch the previous day). I'm sure I made a lot more than I'll actually need, but it's better to have too much than to not have enough. For some reason I feel like I screwed up something with every batch. I feel like they're all gonna overferment or something. Hope not.

NY style
100% All Trumps flour (bleached & bromated)
63% Water
0.45% ADY
1.75% Salt
1.5% Oil

Deep dish
100% Pillsbury AP flour
54% Water
0.4% ADY
21% Corn oil

Note: I usually mix deep dish dough by hand or with the flat beater on my mixer. For some reason, though, today I grabbed the wire whip and used it without even thinking about what I'd done. The dough will probably be fine, but I still might make another batch with the flat beater because the flat beater works great for deep dish.

Tommy's style (laminated cracker crust)
100% Pillsbury AP flour
43% Water
1.25% ADY
1.5% Salt
5% Shortening
1% Sugar

Last night's stuffed dough
100% Mondako flour
48% Water
1% ADY
0.9% Salt
6% Shortening

Previous night's stuffed dough
100% Power flour
48% Water
0.9% ADY
0.9% Salt
6% Shortening
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:37:32 PM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Thank you Peter.
I'll bring this to the attention of my niece.
I've been making her pies with different sheep's milk cheeses to accommodate her dietary restrictions.
Not of Chinese origin, but also lactose intolerant.

Perry

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
Ryan:  I should have stopped eating last week- that is quite an array of styles!   I will just have my one dough.  I did an experiment with a sourdough starter and hopefully will have some 2 day cold ferment rounds as well as some Italian Semolina loaves that I also cold feremted.  I have been experimenting with multiple day cold ferments for breads.   It adds a great flavor much as it does to pizza dough.  I think I will forget the bagels........  We need another 2 dozen people to show up :)  Walter
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:27:30 PM by waltertore »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »

wish I was 5 or 6 hours closer

Thank you Peter.
I'll bring this to the attention of my niece.
I've been making her pies with different sheep's milk cheeses to accommodate her dietary restrictions.
Not of Chinese origin, but also lactose intolerant.

Perry

Perry - it's not just the mozzarella, look at Cabot's website, they have a page on it.  They have been marking their cheese as lactose free for quite a while

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
wish I was 5 or 6 hours closer

I wish I lived closer too.  Sounds like a great time!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 09:52:54 PM »
Deb/Norma:  We will toast a slice to you.  We are at about 18 people right now.  I still haven't heard back from everyone yet.  I had some older dough I was going to use but we ended up selling like 50 pies and 15 strombolis the past 2 days.  That is a lot for us so my old dough is gone.  Walter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 10:07:10 PM »
Deb/Norma:  We will toast a slice to you.  We are at about 18 people right now.  I still haven't heard back from everyone yet.  I had some older dough I was going to use but we ended up selling like 50 pies and 15 strombolis the past 2 days.  That is a lot for us so my old dough is gone.  Walter

Walter,

Thanks for saying you would toast a slice to us!  That is a lot of people coming to your pizza summit.  Take loads of photos.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jkb

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
I wish I lived closer too.  Sounds like a great time!

Norma

+1

We want lots of pictures!

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 09:11:38 AM »
I have two cold ferments going since Friday with this recipe for a thin docked crust:

100% Bouncer
45% Spring Water
3% Olive Oil
1% Sugar
0.45% SAF IDY
1% Salt

And Sunday Morning I will make this dough for the "Silician Pizza" that I learned from my Italian Grandmother when I was 7 years old.  Her version however was a sauceless, cheeseless, herb pizza with olive oil topping, salt, pepper, rosmary, and a touch of basil.  I have added a very, very light touch of hot curry.  Guess it is more like a thin Focaccia.

100% Bouncer
56% Warm Spring Water
6.5% Olive Oil
2% Sugar
0.8% SAF IDY
1.2% Salt

Offline derricktung

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »
Derrick,

Some time ago, I researched the matter of lactose in mozzarella cheese, and I did find many articles that talked about lactose intolerance among many ethnic groups, including Asians. It was part of my usual reverse engineering work where I studied the Sugars in mozzarella cheese as recited in Nutrition Facts. Much to my surprise, I discovered that the amount of lactose in mozzarella cheese is quite low, especially in relation to other dairy products. In fact, if you look at the Nutrition Facts for the shredded form of the Grande whole milk mozzarella cheese, as given at http://www.grandecheese.com/products/Pages/Product_Spec.aspx?ProductMasterID=15, you will see that the Sugars, which includes lactose, is given as 0 for one ounce of that cheese. I am sure that that number goes up when you increase the amount of cheese, but if you look at the Nutrition Facts for a more or less generic whole milk mozzarella cheese as given at the NutritionData.Self.com website at http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/25/2, you will see that one cup of that cheese in shredded form has 1.2 grams of Sugars. And if you click on the More Details tab under Carbohydrates, you will see that the lactose included in that amount of cheese is 78.4 mg.

What I found from my research is that the lactose content of mozzarella cheese is fairly low because the lactose, or most of it, is removed when making the cheese. See, for example, the article at http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/mozzarella-lactose-6826.html. As the article cautions, one shouldn't go overboard on dairy products with lactose but a reasonable amount of mozzarella cheese, and especially the drier forms, shouldn't pose a problem for most people who are lactose intolerant.

Peter

Peter,

Your depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me.  Thanks for the info! 

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 12:37:54 PM »
great bigmoose!

I am up to about 30 people so far.  It will be a wide array of folks from a retired college professor who was a part of the Nurenberg trials in WWII, 3 pro chefs/small mom//pop shop owners, reknowned concert violist, a bookstore owner, an artist(painter), and a bunch of others who all love food.  This is your day to shine Ryan.  I feel it will be wonderful pies coming from you!  Walter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
Sweet. It would be nice if the weather was a little more cooperative, but I have the feeling there's gonna be a bunch of snow messing everything up tomorrow morning. (I'll almost certainly still wear sandals, though.) None of my dough currently appears as if it might be overfermented tomorrow. I'll be bringing 3 lbs of Ezzo GiAntonio pepperoni to use, to share with you, and to share with others who may want some. This pepperoni has been in the freezer for a few months, so hopefully it won't taste like it's been in a freezer for a few months. I'm gonna pick up some sausage at Carfagna's on the way, too. Even though I've never been much of a sausage fan, I've taken kindly to Carfagna's mild sausage on Chicago style pizzas.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »
I am so thankful and humbled that so many people are coming to this event.  I feel the love and am the luckiest man alive to have such a life of good friends, a wonderful wife, and a job that makes a difference in disabled peoples lives.   I feel the pizza/dough spirits in me and I will let them work through me.  This is something I don't talk about often because people think me a bit off.  I tap into the great spirits that are no longer on this earth.  The music spirits come through as do the dough spirits.  One can't go wrong when you let this happen. The challenge is not to let ones self disconnect this channel.  Paige, ny pizza making student, taps effortlessly into this channel.  She asked me the other day- how did I learn to do this stuff?  I simply answered that the spirits of great bakers/pizza makers flow through her.  She smiled and that was that.  My students tap into deeper levels than the average person ever will.  I learn much from them.    I hope the people coming tomorrow tap into this as well.   Walter
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:29:37 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »
Walter, since I'll have two people to help me carry my stuff, I probably won't need the cart you mentioned in your private message. I'll probably just have a dough box, a cooler, and a bag to carry things that don't belong in either the dough box or the cooler.

I'm gonna try to leave here at about 10:30, then make a quick stop at Carfagna's on the way to Easton, where my guests are staying. If everything goes smoothly, I should be leaving Easton at 11:30 or so.

All my stuff is prepped, so it should be pretty easy for me to get moving on schedule. It'll be interesting trying to get the dough management right once I remove my dough from the fridge tomorrow morning.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
I am so thankful and humbled that so many people are coming to this event.  I feel the love and am the luckiest man alive to have such a life of good friends, a wonderful wife, and a job that makes a difference in disabled peoples lives.   I feel the pizza/dough spirits in me and I will let them work through me.  This is something I don't talk about often because people think me a bit off.  I tap into the great spirits that are no longer on this earth.  The music spirits come through as do the dough spirits.  One can't go wrong when you let this happen. The challenge is not to let ones self disconnect this channel.  Paige, ny pizza making student, taps effortlessly into this channel.  She asked me the other day- how did I learn to do this stuff?  I simply answered that the spirits of great bakers/pizza makers flow through her.  She smiled and that was that.  My students tap into deeper levels than the average person ever will.  I learn much from them.    I hope the people coming tomorrow tap into this as well.   Walter
That's awesome Walter.....I've always known that you were "in tune" to greater powers.  8)
Now....are ya'll also planning to "tap" into a keg of some good cold stuff at the Shindig tomorrow?!!   ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »
Ryan:  I will keep an eye out for you.   Don't stress on the start time.  I told people it was casual.  I know Ann has a concert to play in columbus on her viola and will have to leave early.  I will cover all bases.  My dough will be ready.  Walter

Bob:    That would get me a lot of publicity :-D  In my younger days I would have said bring it in brown bags, soda cans..........   I had my days of drinking and whatnot but had to quit it all or go down like so many of my musical friends did.   Also tapping into the spirits goes way south when high.  We will be on the natural high and if somebody is really hurting they can skim the alcohol produced by my starter  :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:38:25 PM by waltertore »