Author Topic: Ohio meets NJ pizza summit  (Read 3128 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Ohio meets NJ pizza summit
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
It was a good gathering today.  About 35 people came throughout the afternoon.  Ryan came with 2 Chinese students and bigmoose came with his wife.  Both brought their own doughs, spices, toppings.  It was a bit hectic around the ovens- 3 cooks meeting for the first time but all went good.  I think we made about 20 pizzas, a bunch of pizza knots, and I made some french bread and Italian semolia baguettes.  Hopefully everyone had a good time.  I had a lot of help cleaning up the kitchen to!   The Chinese students gave me a beautiful ink brush.  I will hang it on our wall.  I brought my camera but never got to taking pictures and basically forgot about it.  I know the Chinese students took a lot and bigmoose's wife took a lot too.  Wea  had an infant all the way up to a 90 year old and all ages in between.   I think everyone liked the variety of pizzas because when I turned out the lights to leave with my wife Judy there was not a pizza slice to be found :)  Walter
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:45:40 PM by waltertore »

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
What a great time we had!  Special thanks to Walter for allowing us to invade his kitchen and try our hand at his ovens.  He even had two brand new wooden peels waiting for pies!  Man, did I learn a  lot today from Walter and Ryan! 

Lets see if I can post some pix that my wife took.

1) It was snowy when we headed south to the Workshop.
2) Walter showing me the right way to open the dough
3) Walter thinning the dough
4) "Do it at the rim, not towards the center!"  he taught!
5) Perhaps half or a third of the crowd queing up at the pizza table
6) Walter grating Romano (I think) on his great NY pie
7) The beginning!
8) Walter's second pie, I believe

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »
More pix!

9) Aimless Ryan to the left, Walter in the middle, and me on the right
10) Me dressing my second one up... too much in hind sight
11) First pie I ever made in a commercial oven
12) I think this was Walter's thick crust
13) Ryan working the oven.  The Blodgetts were unbelievably even, they were GREAT!
14) Ryan doing the honors slicing
15) WOW Ryan's deep dish masterpiece! (correction by Ryan to: Stuffed masterpiece!)
16) Time for cinnamon knots at Walter's hand
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:05:47 AM by bigMoose »

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »
... and only 3 more  ;D

17) My final pie mushroom, scalions and jalapeno (sorry my wifey took so many of me...)
18) The cinnamon knots being buttered by Walter
19) Walter, Ryan and one of our international visitors.  ... I think we made a mess in Walter's spotless kitchen...  :-[

Thanks again Walter, had a great time!  Wifey says she did too.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »
bigmoose:  Thanks for posting those pictures and thanks to your wife for taking them!  You did a great job.  The day flew by.  Life is good.  You are welcome anytime.  Walter

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
Looks like you guys/gals had a great time. I wish I was closer. Those are the biggest knots I've ever seen! :-) Buttered them up and then tossed in cinnamon sugar?
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2013, 08:43:43 PM »
Looks like you guys/gals had a great time. I wish I was closer. Those are the biggest knots I've ever seen! :-) Buttered them up and then tossed in cinnamon sugar?

Chaze:  Yes, melted unsalted butter and cinnamon sugar. We make em big.  Walter

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2013, 08:44:50 PM »
Look good! Same dough as your pizzas?
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
Look good! Same dough as your pizzas?

Chaze:  Yes-it is tired dough.  I miss NJ often and fantasize about moving back but after todays ice everywhere we will definetely being going back to CA or the west somewhere where there isn't ice when we retire.  I can't imagine getting old here with that issue.  Slipping and falling is not much fun now and sounds downright terrifying as a senior.  I remember as a kid we fell and laughted.  Now we fall and freak out hoping nothing is broken.  It stinks because I am really finding a nitche here that would seamlesly transition to a pizzeria of my own but that ice today jolted us.  I love northern CA. It has called me 2 times to live there and we hope 3 times is the charm.  Walter
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:12:04 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2013, 09:50:05 PM »
Man I'm so tired. The whole day was a blur to me.

Sorry if I treated your classroom like it was mine, Walter. Having arrived just a little late, and with so many guests already there when I arrived, I had to play catch-up from the second I walked in.

Dave, it was great meeting you and your wife. It's awesome that you were willing to drive so far for this. I want to make a correction to one of your picture descriptions, though. That pic of the pizza with the cheese oozing out was a stuffed pizza, rather than a deep dish pizza. (I actually did bring a bunch of deep dish dough, but I didn't use any of it. I ended up giving it all to one of Walter's guests.)

Thank you so much for doing this, Walter. "Leon" and "Jason" had a great time. So did I. It was great meeting your wife, too.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
Chaze:  Yes-it is tired dough.  I miss NJ often and fantasize about moving back but after todays ice everywhere we will definetely being going back to CA or the west somewhere where there isn't ice when we retire.  I can't imagine getting old here with that issue.  Slipping and falling is not much fun now and sounds downright terrifying as a senior.  I remember as a kid we fell and laughted.  Now we fall and freak out hoping nothing is broken.  It stinks because I am really finding a nitche here that would seamlesly transition to a pizzeria of my own but that ice today jolted us.  I love northern CA. It has called me 2 times to live there and we hope 3 times is the charm.  Walter

Yeah, it was a little scary for me walking from the parking lot to the school entrance. Not only were my feet slipping, but my cane was slipping, too. That ain't good. Thankfully the thin ice was gone when we left the building.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2013, 02:55:14 AM »
It's great to see members meeting in "real life" and even better when you get to make pizzas together while enjoying each other's company.  All the pizzas looked delicious and I'm sure all of your guests were impressed.

I have relatives in northwest Ohio and hope I can meet you guys one day over a slice when I am in the area visiting.  Bigmoose, thanks for posting the pictures.  Ryan, thanks for posting the recipes you brought to the event, and Walter, thanks for hosting it and sharing all you do in your bakery.  I think it's fabulous.

Tim

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2013, 07:28:29 AM »
I agree with Tim that it is great to see members meeting in real life.

All of the pizzas look amazing.  :drool:  Thanks bigMoose for taking all of the photos.   8)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2013, 07:34:14 AM »
Community building - virtual to real life. Hats off to all involved!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2013, 08:14:38 AM »
It was great to meet people in the flesh.  At one point Ryan said- why not put the football game on the big screen tv that is in our room (it came with the space).   I thought for second and said that it was becoming a rare thing for a few dozen people to be sitting around talking to each other so kept the tv off.   Crazy world we are in and getting more and more rare for people in the flesh to gather and just talk/eat.  This is what I love about doing parties.   Unexpectidly I was a bit unerved by the day.   This was the first time I shared my kitchen space with other cooks.  Ryan and bigmoose were wonderful.  It was me.  I realized how accustomed to  having the space my way.  Paige is the only one that makes pizzas with me and she is like a third arm on me.  In theory I expected a bit of kaos but it took the actual experience and it jolted much more than I thought it would.  I hope I wasn't rude.  One thing I completely zoned out on was that Ryan and bigmoose would be bringing more than just dough balls.  Anyway, life is a big learning event and I learned a lot.  It was nice to see/taste different style pizzas. I only eat my own except when I go back home to NJ.  Walter
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:17:05 AM by waltertore »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
Walter,

if you or no one else has an objection, I'd like to move this thread to another location where it is likely to be seen by more people than on the Calendar board, which is usually to let others know about an event rather than discussing the actual event itself. Since you all covered different types of pizzas, I was thinking the General Pizza Making board as the new home for the thread but I am open to other suggestions.

Peter

Offline derricktung

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »
Great pictures, stories, and looked like an excellent get together!  Like I said, wish I could've made it!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2013, 11:45:42 AM »
Everything looks faaaantastic! Ryan's deep dish is awesome....thanks for all the pics.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
Thanks Bob. (It was stuffed, though.)

Dave, in response to your private message:

The pepperoni I used was Ezzo GiAntonio 38 mm. I wish I had realized you were a big fan of it before we left because I brought 4 lbs of it to give to people. I guess I didn't spread the word very well, though. As far as I know, the only way to get it is by buying a case of it from a distributor, as I did. Maybe I could send you some. Or, if by any chance you'll be back around Columbus anytime soon, maybe we could meet somewhere. I have plenty in the freezer, which is where the pepperoni I used had been since summer, which means I'll likely still have plenty more for at least several more months, and it will surely still be good.

Here's a great thread about making a manual sheeter: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11459.0.html. I'd like to have one of these myself, with the widest rollers possible. If you have the mechanical aptitude to make one of these for yourself, make two and I'll buy one. It looks like it should be easy and cheap for someone who has the aptitude (and a few tools), but that person is not me.

And here's how I made the laminated cracker pizzas: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12446.msg281349.html#msg281349.

Walter, I'm curious about why you wondered if my stuffed pizza's crust had shortening in it. Was there a characteristic of the crust that screamed "shortening" to you?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 01:10:42 PM »
Walter,

if you or no one else has an objection, I'd like to move this thread to another location where it is likely to be seen by more people than on the Calendar board, which is usually to let others know about an event rather than discussing the actual event itself. Since you all covered different types of pizzas, I was thinking the General Pizza Making board as the new home for the thread but I am open to other suggestions.

Peter

Peter, I also think this thread belongs somewhere else. I think the General Pizza Making board is appropriate, as long as Walter agrees.