Author Topic: Ohio meets NJ pizza summit  (Read 2635 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Ohio meets NJ pizza summit
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »
Peter:  That is fine with me.  Thanks!

Ryan:  I worked for a couple years at Apple Annies Bakery in Austin, TX.   Their specialty was apple pies.  I made thousands and became acutely aware of shortening and it has stuck with me through my life.   I would say it had a pie like texture more than a pizza crust texture.  That is to my taste buds.  I don't use oil or shortening in my pizza or artisan bread doughs.   I can taste/feel it.  I do love it in a pie crust or cinnamon roll though ;D  Walter

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »
Ryan, not to worry... I have two kids living in C'bus so I get down there relatively often.  I'll let you know when we are headed down again, and I didn't know I liked Ezzo GiAntonio till I tasted yours!  Funny I was looking into sheeters today, or how to make a sheeter.  I wish I had examined Walter's more closely.  I don't even recall the brand...  If I do fabricate  something I will make 2.   ;D

Walter, a slice of your NY pie made a great lunch today.  Your Sunday event just keeps on giving.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »
Ryan, not to worry... I have two kids living in C'bus so I get down there relatively often.  I'll let you know when we are headed down again, and I didn't know I liked Ezzo GiAntonio till I tasted yours!  Funny I was looking into sheeters today, or how to make a sheeter.  I wish I had examined Walter's more closely.  I don't even recall the brand...  If I do fabricate  something I will make 2.   ;D

Walter, a slice of your NY pie made a great lunch today.  Your Sunday event just keeps on giving.

Dave:  Glad you liked it.  Could you tell which 1/2 had your cheese?  My sheeter is an doyon from Italy.  It is pretty expensive.  We only use it to make our dog biscuits and sugar cookies with it.  I see them on craigslist fairly often for a couple to several hundred dollars.   I can't give any input on them for pizza.  Here is a link to ours.  Walter   

http://www.ckitchen.com/equipment/doyon/doyon-dl12sp-dough-sheeter.html?gclid=CJeAurXCtbsCFdE-MgodfFYA2Q

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
Gent's thanks for the links, looking into them.

Walter, couldn't compare because I had to limit myself to just one piece after yesterday... else I will become giganticusMoose insead of just bigMoose!  :-[  But I will see if I can compare day by day.  Wife and I are headed to Restaurant Depot tomorrow, trying to line up local pals to split some cheese loaves today.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
I can't give any input on [Walter's sheeter] for pizza.

I can. Although it was awesome to finally be able to use a sheeter to roll a laminated skin, and even though Walter's sheeter is fantastic, the sheeter's narrowness makes it kind of prohibitive for pizza (if you ever want to make a pizza larger than about 11").

Interestingly, I couldn't tell a difference between the two laminated pizzas I made in Walter's oven. The only difference between how I prepped and baked the two pizzas was that I rolled one of them by hand Saturday evening at home, then immediately refrigerated, and I rolled the other one with Walter's sheeter Sunday afternoon, a couple hours before I baked the pizzas. (After sheeting the second skin, I mistakenly put both of the skins in Walter's freezer, rather than in a refrigerator. Thankfully that didn't end up hurting the skins.)

Verdict: If I had the option to buy either a good homemade 16" manual sheeter for $300-$400 or a sheeter like Walter's for the going rate (which I'd assume is well over $500), I'd take the homemade manual sheeter.

If you look over Jet_deck's manual sheeter thread, you can probably learn pretty much everything you need to know. I think I've figured out most of it, but there are still a couple things I don't understand. However, I think that's only because Gene did not reveal all the details or show a few detailed pictures that would have helped me. I think if I had all the relevant information (or a chance to look at Gene's second sheeter in person), I'd probably understand everything. But I probably still wouldn't be able to make one without help from someone who understands and possesses the right tools.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
Dave, I just had a piece of one of your pizzas, followed by the last piece of my laminated pizza, both of which have sat in a pizza box at room temperature since I got home yesterday. They were both room-temperature when I ate them.

Unlike how my pizza was when it came out of the oven (crispy/almost crunchy), this leftover piece had become softer and somewhat bready. Conversely, yours had quite a bit of crunch, and I would say it is very representative of a lot of pizzas you can get in Columbus. Unfortunately I didn't have any of your pizza when it was fresh, so I don't know what it was like yesterday.

I'm heating the oven right now, and I'm gonna throw in some of your pizza. I'm not sure if what I still have is from the same pizza as the piece I just ate. Did you make more than one type of crust yesterday?

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 04:52:53 PM »
Yes I made two that were my crispy crust.  The first one had julienne cut peppers (Poblamo, hungarian hot, and cubanelle pre nuked for 3 minues and drained on paper towels at home) with pepperoni and a bit of length sliced scallions on top.  In retrospect that pie had too much quantity of peppers and perhaps 20% to 30% too much of my sauce (spread) which was basically red novembers with a TBS of olive oil and 30% more garlic powder.  I used Cento All in One Tomatoes.

The second crispy pie had mushrooms which I pre nuked for 4 minutes and drained on paper towels at home, pepperoni, a bit of julienne cut jalapeno peppers and a bit of length sliced scallions on top.  I lightened up on the sauce by 25% or so in quantity and more dabbled than spread.  I liked this one better.

Both crusts were parbaked for 3 minutes in Walter's hot oven.  Then brushed with a thin coat of olive oil.  I put the cheese down next on both and the sauce dabbled on top of the cheese.  This was followed by the toppings peppers/mushrooms, pepperoni and scallions.  Topped with about 20% of the original amount of cheese on the very top.

Thanks for the feedback, every bit helps refine.

Oh I also made a lighter, poofier 3 hour crust that was only used for my Grandmother's "Sicilian" (her name not the accepted use of Sicilian) that was the Olive Oil/Salt/Pepper/Rosemary/Basil herb "poofy" round.  I added a very light touch of hot curry that was not in her original recipe.  It was more like a thin focaccia.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:55:39 PM by bigMoose »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
OK, so it looks like I have a little of each of the first two pizzas you mentioned but have only eaten the second one (mushrooms and jalapenos). Dude, that pizza is good! I threw one piece on my somewhat heated stone for a couple minutes, and I really like it. Might go heat up a couple more (Edit: I'm about to heat up some more.)

The funny thing is that I've been very vocally anti-parbake more than a few times here on the boards. Now that you've mentioned having parbaked, I think I do remember you parbaking a skin (and saying something about how it blew up like a balloon or something), but I would not have figured the pieces I just ate were parbaked.

I remain anti-parbake (for efficiency reasons), but I also maintain that your parbaked crust is very good. I think the pizza does need more sauce, though, although I'm sure the sauce was more noticeable when the pizza was fresh.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
some more pixtures taken by Leon one of the Chinese students Ryan came with.  Walter
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:51:45 PM by waltertore »

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2013, 05:06:18 PM »
sorry I don't know how to rotate them. 

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2013, 05:18:25 PM »
Heh, I bet those same pictures are waiting for me in my email inbox (which I check every once in a while). Also, in the first group picture in Reply #68, that's Leon holding the peel. In the next picture, Jason is holding the peel.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
Also, when I asked Leon if "Leon" is an Americanized pronunciation of his actual name, he said no. Rather, he chose to identify himself as Leon while he's here because of the movie "Leon" (which was called "The Professional" in the United States). I'm not sure if Jason took his name from a movie character.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »
Hopefully, this will help.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
Wish I could have been there for all the fun. Thanks Ryan for posting all the dough recipes and everyone else for all the photos. I used to live in Youngstown, OH. I wish that I was visiting home during this pizza gathering. I would have tried to attend the event. Thanks again to everyone for all the info posted here.

TomN
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:57:54 PM by TomN »

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2013, 07:10:14 PM »
Thanks for fixing those Peter!  There was a great variety of people there.  Some of the people pictured lead intersting lives.  There is a retired Denison Univ professor/interpretor at the WWII Nuremberg trials/regular traveler to NYC & Italy for the food, a world reknowned concert viola player (dressed in black because she had a concert to perform), a former organic grocery store owner/local chef, a graduate of the culinary institute of america, and my wife who just turned 60 and was born and raised a Berkley hippie/free thinker.  Granville has quite a cool lot of people for only having 3,000 residents.  Everyone there was from Granville.  It is an upscale place and they got to see our operation in the flesh.  I got a bunch of orders from them already. A NYC group is visiting Granville and they somehow heard of us. they called me today and wanted to pick up some pies.  I told them we are sold out the rest of the week but I could squeeze them in a few pies thursday.  They said no problem and will be in then to visit and eat.  I also decided to raise my prices.  We are now $8 for a cheese pie if you eat in/$9 to go in a box and $9 to eat in for a pepperoni/$10 to go in a box.   Our pies are 18" and I feel it is time to start raising prices.  I have spread the pies around for cheap and free but costs keep going up. I still want to keep them at or below the normal small shop prices here so we will keep getting work.  We are making plenty of $ due to not  having to pay wages, insurance, rent, utilities.   Walter 

here is a picture of Frank Bellino.  Frank passed away a few months ago.  His daughter is the concert viola player.  He was world reknowned on the instrument.  He was from Italy/NJ and we use to make pizzas and breads together.  The picture is of him at our bakery.  I felt his spirit at our event.  I am going to put his picture on our wall.  he was a very special human being. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:49:06 PM by waltertore »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2013, 12:59:37 AM »
I've had so much fun reading thru this thread!! Just awesome putting names and faces together. Looks like a grand time was had by all!!!

jon
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:02:51 AM by Jackitup »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2013, 11:14:23 AM »
Here's something that didn't occur to me as interesting until about this time yesterday (two days after it happened): The last picture in Reply #43 (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29016.msg292646.html#msg292646) was taken toward the end of our pizzamaking bash, when I was assembling my two small Tommy's style pizzas. In the picture, I've just grabbed a handful of cheese to put on one of the pizzas. Also, as you can see, I am talking to Leon as he watches me assemble the pizzas.

At about that very moment, Leon asked me what I was grabbing from the big bowl. I answered "Cheese," then paused for a bit and elaborated, "Mozzarella." (Or I may have first said "Mozzarella," then paused and said "Mozzarella cheese.") Either way, I now realize my short answers may not have been very meaningful answers to him.

I had so much sensory overload going on at the time that it just didn't even occur to me, I suppose because of our cultural differences and our respective cultures' vastly different staple foods, that Leon was unfamiliar with the sight of cheese, or even the concept of cheese. Even though there had already been a short discussion earlier in this thread about dairy products not being a part of Chinese diets, it did not occur to me at the time. In fact, I'm still not sure if my answers made any sense to Leon.

Anyway, I thought that was interesting, and I'm probably gonna ask Leon if my answers made any sense to him.

pizzapan