Author Topic: Ohio meets NJ pizza summit  (Read 2855 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Ohio meets NJ pizza summit
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:55:32 PM »
Hi Everyone:  This Sunday Aimless Ryan will be coming out to The Smiling With Bakery(pizzeria) to make his array of pizzas.  I will be making my pies as well as some artisan breads.  Ryan was contacted by a student from China who is excited about pizza.  We have decided to turn it into a pizza party and all on the forum are invited.  It will be starting at noon.  If you would like to bring some of your dough balls/ingredients to try in a stack of vintage blodgett 1000 ovens feel free to do so.  One will be running around 550 and the other 450  I don;'t claim to be any sort of pizza teacher but will be happy to share what I know.  If you are interest send me a pm or email and I will forward directions.  Hope to see some folks come out.   Walter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Ohio meets NJ pizza summit
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
If everything goes as planned, I will be bringing 3 Chinese students who are temporarily in Columbus for a three-week course at OSU. (One of them recently contacted me via couchsurfing.org, in response to my Couchsurfing profile, which says I'd like to make pizza for guests.) This is happening mostly because I asked Walter if he'd be able to do something this particular Sunday, in an effort to help me create an experience that the Chinese students will always remember. I also have invited a friend and her husband.

I intend to bring enough dough and sauce for one 18" NY style pizza, one 12" or 14" deep dish pizza, two 10" Tommy's style pizzas (laminated cracker crust), and one 10" stuffed pizza, as well as some sausage from Carfagna's and Ezzo GiAntonio pepperoni. I don't know if there will be enough demand for me to make all these pizzas, but that's what I'll be bringing.

Also, I've had Walter's pizza, and it's awesome.

To anyone who may be interested in showing up, please say something in a reply on this thread (because I'm curious to know ahead of time, partly in case I need to change the quantity of what I'll be bringing).

Thanks for helping me make this happen, Walter!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »
Ryan:  I will have lots of dough.  I am excited.   See you Sunday.  Walter

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »
Shame I'm tied up this Sunday with family affairs that need to be taken care of. 

Looking forward to pics from the Ohio meet up!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »
Shame I'm tied up this Sunday with family affairs that need to be taken care of. 

Looking forward to pics from the Ohio meet up!

Derrick;  Sorry you can't make it. A couple people that are attending the pizza expo in columbus are planning on checking out our place so if that works or anytime you want to come by we will welcome you.  Walter

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »
I really hope that this is not taken the wrong way, but I was under the belief that most people of Chinese origin are lactose intolerant, and the internet seems to confirm this.

Perry

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 05:53:50 PM »
I hope not. Might be a long drive back to Columbus if so.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:01:28 PM »
So far I have confirmed 4 people.  One is a local restaurant/organic farm owner/social reform entrepuner who came here from So. CA.   Another is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America.  A tenative is the former womens basketball coach at Harvard. Pepes was her childhood neighborhood pizzeria.  She is a big fan of our pies.  A few NY transplants are also on the invite list.  It looks like I may gather about a dozen food fanatics who have traveled the world eating the best stuff.  I think I have found all there are to be found in our rural county :)  Paige, my best pizza maker student, is working at Denison Universtiy in the cafteteria until 3.  She may stop in and make some pies as well.  Walter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
Man, this is gonna be awesome! And for a minute I thought I was being pushy by asking you if this Sunday would work.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »
Walter has kindly put me in touch with a man in Columbus that is selling a stack oven set just like the one's Walter has at the school. If I can make the deal happen I would love to drop in at the  party.....if ya'll will have me!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »
Walter has kindly put me in touch with a man in Columbus that is selling a stack oven set just like the one's Walter has at the school. If I can make the deal happen I would love to drop in at the  party.....if ya'll will have me!  8)

Bob:  Those ovens need to be checked out before you travel all that way.  I am about 40-50 miles from Columbus. I could possibly look them over for you.   They are most likely not hooked up to gas so there is no telling what shape the thermostat, pilot light valve assembly (red button you hold to light pilot), the pilot light itself, the thermocoupler, and burnerr, are in.  That stuff is all easily replaced.  The stuff you can't fix is if the oven itself is in rotted.  Get very detailed pictures and yes you are welcome to come and stay in my recording studio.  It has a bed and full bath.  Walter

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 08:49:03 AM »
Walter, just talked with my wife, and if we can find substitutes for Sunday morning commitments, we would like to come.  You are a couple hour drive south I think.  We will know by tonight, if that is OK?  I am an ol' guy, trying to learn!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Walter, just talked with my wife, and if we can find substitutes for Sunday morning commitments, we would like to come.  You are a couple hour drive south I think.  We will know by tonight, if that is OK?  I am an ol' guy, trying to learn!

great!  We are now at least a dozen people.  Walter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 01:21:27 PM »
Bob:  Those ovens need to be checked out before you travel all that way.  I am about 40-50 miles from Columbus. I could possibly look them over for you.   They are most likely not hooked up to gas so there is no telling what shape the thermostat, pilot light valve assembly (red button you hold to light pilot), the pilot light itself, the thermocoupler, and burnerr, are in.  That stuff is all easily replaced.  The stuff you can't fix is if the oven itself is in rotted.  Get very detailed pictures and yes you are welcome to come and stay in my recording studio.  It has a bed and full bath.  Walter
What can I say....you are so very kind Walter. Thank you!
Will be in touch....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
What can I say....you are so very kind Walter. Thank you!
Will be in touch....

Bob:  My pleasure.  People have continually given to me and I am glad when I can be part of the side of things.  Walter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
Ryan:  Counting your group I figure we are at about 20 so far give or take 1/2 dozen.  I still have quite a few people that haven't responded yet.  I will have some 2,3,and 4 day old doughs.  Walter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
It looks like my group will be me + 2-4 others. I think one of the Chinese students bailed, but it sounds like the other two are very enthusiastic. My friend Julie seemed interested when I mentioned it to her, and still does, but it wouldn't surprise me if she bails, too, considering it's a pretty long drive (and who knows what to expect from the weather). I made sure to mention to her that you invited the coach because Julie was first team All Ohio in high school. She hasn't said anything about whether her husband might go.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »
Julie just confirmed. She and her husband are going.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
Walter,
Really great post you wrote: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29015.msg291887.html#msg291887.  I'm sure many readers enjoyed it.  If I were located near your summit, I'd be there.
Dave

Offline derricktung

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »
I really hope that this is not taken the wrong way, but I was under the belief that most people of Chinese origin are lactose intolerant, and the internet seems to confirm this.

Perry

Mmm.. I find that whenever someone says "I hope this isn't taken the wrong way", it usually means that you're about to make a remark that's inappropriate.  In this case, it's not really offensive, but very random, considering the thread/discussion.

To my knowledge, I'm not lactose intolerant... yet.  There's some evidence that people can get lactose intolerant as they age, but I haven't run into that yet.  I do know that if I overload on ice cream (we're talking a lot of ice cream here, like a few pints in one sitting), my system doesn't handle it well.  But I'm guessing that true for a lot of people.  Cheese on a pizza has never been a problem, even when I eat multiple pizzas in one sitting.

Lots of folks with Chinese descent are lactose intolerant, but that's likely in part due to how they're brought up culturally if they're not born in the US.  Milk and milk products were not commonly found or used in China until more recently. 

And back to the thread:  Walter, post pics!  I'll use them to convince my wife to take a day off on some future weekend to come visit...

pizzapan