Author Topic: First Street (Smart and Final) and Sam's Choice (Wal Mart) tomatoes - under $2  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Sure  ;D  The California Tomato Dept.  :-D

I'm expecting my pink slip any day now, since this company managed to form and grow without my knowledge  :-D :-D
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Hi

Just wanted to update on another option for these tomatoes. Amazon is carrying the organic Heavy concentrated crushed tomatoes. Should be great for the heavier sauces.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Value-Concentrated-Organic-Tomatoes/dp/B00HYJRH9M/?tag=pizzamaking-20
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
In the continuing saga of CSI Tomato, I found the same tomatoes at Ralphs under a different label. The price was $1.27.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler

Thanks for the update.

Over-all I'm finding the canned tomatoes that are in lined cans as tasting much better. Which of course makes obvious sense.  :)

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
Now that Classico tomatoes are a thing of the past I'm on the hunt for good tomatoes for under $2 per can.

First Street tomatoes are a "fresh pack" California tomato.  They taste excellent. In fact, it was the first time I've made a sauce that impressed me.  Citric acid is listed as an ingredient, although it does not say whether it's naturally derived or not.  No calcium chloride.

The Sam's Club tomatoes are Wal Mart's upscale tomato with added dry organic basil.  The texture is more rustic than their "Great Value" tomatoes.o another?

Finally, I stocked up on the generic Wal Mart Great Value Tomatoes.  The last can I opened tasted incredible; among the best I've ever tasted.  However it didn't necessarily translate into my favorite sauce after I added my various spices and baking it on the pie.

Are you still using Walmart GV or have you moved on to another brand?  tks
Carl

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
The above mentioned tomatoes are identical and that's what I use for the majority of my pizzas.  When I make several pizzas for friends and neighbors I'll break open the large can of Stanislaus Tomato Magic or 7-11.  The Stanislaus products are a little better, but it's not dramatically so.  My wife, my primary critic, can't tell them apart when they're on the pizza.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
The above mentioned tomatoes are identical and that's what I use for the majority of my pizzas.  When I make several pizzas for friends and neighbors I'll break open the large can of Stanislaus Tomato Magic or 7-11.  The Stanislaus products are a little better, but it's not dramatically so.  My wife, my primary critic, can't tell them apart when they're on the pizza.

tks. I just made a batch of your sauce recipe (extraction method) for tonight's pizza making. Anxious to try it out. Went to the Sam's site and it appears that they no longer carry their brand
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:50:52 PM by carl333 »
Carl

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
While I was in a local Kroger store yesterday, I saw that they had cans of a Kroger brand peeled crushed tomatoes. I checked the code on the bottom of the can and it read 5TPCG  OL. I thought that I would be able to find a large photo of the label on Google Images but the best I could find is the one shown below. The code suggests that the contents are fresh-pack tomatoes, along the lines of the former Classico crushed tomatoes that were quite close to the Escalon 6-in-1s. The price of the Kroger product is $1.29 for a 28-ounce can, or five cents more than the Wal-Mart Great Value crushed tomatoes.

Peter

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
While I was in a local Kroger store yesterday, I saw that they had cans of a Kroger brand peeled crushed tomatoes. I checked the code on the bottom of the can and it read 5TPCG  OL. I thought that I would be able to find a large photo of the label on Google Images but the best I could find is the one shown below. The code suggest that the contents are fresh-pack tomatoes, along the lines of the former Classico crushed tomatoes that were quite close to the Escalon 6-in-1s. The price of the Kroger product is $1.29 for a 28-ounce can, or five cents more than the Wal-Mart Great Value crushed tomatoes.

Peter

I've been using the Kroger brand crushed tomatoes exclusively for the past year or so on my NY style pizza. They are frequently on sale at my Kroger for $1.09, very good tomatoes IMO

pizzapan