Author Topic: Pizza party! Guests make their own pizza?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Adam T

Pizza party! Guests make their own pizza?
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »
I think it would be a fun way to have a party to let guests make their own pizza. Let them open their own dough ball and top the pizza. The pizzaiolo can then bake the pizza in the oven (LBE, 2-Stone, Blackstone, WFO, etc.).

I think the guests would enjoy trying this out. Could you trust them to open up a skin "good enough"?

Has anyone tried this approach?

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza party! Guests make their own pizza?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »
Gotta keep an eye on them, as guests will generally want to place way too many toppings on a pizza.
They can also be a little slow, so you must watch for pizzas sticking on the peel.

Serpentelli can attest to these occurances and more.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »
I did it a few months ago and everyone had a blast. I did 12-14" NY style with a .1 thickness factor which is more forgiving than say, Neapolitan. We also told guests to bring their own toppings which takes a lot of the burden off you.

Mmmph is exactly right though, most of the guests put too many toppings on. I didn't have any issues since most guests opened the ball as best as they could and they asked me to finished it off (all left it too thick).

Best of all, I tasted toppings I would have never tried myself (for example: pineapple, caramelized onions and crumbled sausage). I'm not ashamed to admit it was excellent. We will do it again when the time is right. Go for it.

Josh

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:37:03 PM »
I have done this with NY style as well.  We had one family come over with their two children.  Their ten year old was the one interested in making pizza from scratch.  I made the dough ahead of time and bought their favorite pizza toppings to be sure everyone was happy.  I allowed her to open the dough with some guidance and top the pizza.  Then I launched it so that we would have pizzas and not calzones  :-D. I made a few pizzas also.  It's a good way to get together with friends!

I will definitely do this again - it's so much fun!  Good luck  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline communist

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
I have done this several times.  If you are an intense cook and take pride in your finished product, it can be painful looking at less than desired results.  I think it is fun for the participants, but quality suffers.  Mark

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
I actually do this all the time.  Great for kids and family gatherings.  I'll get all the dough made a few days ahead of time so it has a chance for a good nap in the fridge.  On the day of, I'll prep all the toppings and set them out for everyone on my kitchen island.  (aka the pizza creation station) 

I've done it both ways with the skins.  The first time I did it, I par baked about 5 skins at a time and everyone would just come and top it however they wanted and I would man the oven.  I've also done the individual pizza thing too and let each person stretch their own skin too.  It works both ways.  Kids tend to enjoy stretching out the dough more than the adults, I've noticed.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
I have never had a party specifically for the guests to make the pizzas, but all my kids and friends kids are too old to enjoy it.  I always offer to let guests make a pizza, but they seldom want to.  I have let them cook them, but it usually ends up as a cinder, so usually they just make a turn or 2 while I fetch something from the kitchen.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »
I've done it with a few folks at parties before, mostly with fairly avg to bad results.  Guests have their own ideas of how to open dough, and it's hard to get them to stray from your instructions.  (Pounding with fists, rolling with rolling pin, throwing it in the air, reballing and then rolling it out without giving enough time to relax, etc.)

Ultimately, guests have fun though.  I would say reserve a few doughs for you to demonstrate and cook with, and provide the rest to them to play around with as they see fit.  It's fun for them, and there's a sense of pride of creation (particularly for kids, or those adults who don't normally cook).  Just be willing to allow for imperfect pizzas in the name of fun.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 04:52:01 PM »
I forgot to mention, one thing I did to accommodate hungry guests is make the first pizza for everyone to share. I make 18" NY so that kept everyone happy while they waited to make their own pizza.
Josh

Offline caymus

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »
I think it would be a fun way to have a party to let guests make their own pizza. Let them open their own dough ball and top the pizza. The pizzaiolo can then bake the pizza in the oven (LBE, 2-Stone, Blackstone, WFO, etc.).

I think the guests would enjoy trying this out. Could you trust them to open up a skin "good enough"?

Has anyone tried this approach?

Will alcohol be involved? It may effect the quality of the product

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »
I have also did twice. It was the talk for a long time with people asking to do for them or I do again.

I pre made 4 oz. dough balls.
i pre set up the DM 18 dough press. I per cut parchment paper.
People press there 4oz dough balls direct on parchment paper. this made the skins easy to handle. they were topped as they wanted and bakes in my pizza oven direct on the paper at 500. work well. I am not in the business and a friend of one of my guests has begged to do at a party for him in late January. we will try it with about 70 people

Sonny

Offline Adam T

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
I think we need to see some pics in this thread of guest created pizzas, good and bad.

Parchment paper, hmmmm.... I had been thinking a few peels and only a few could make pizzas at once. I wonder how peeling off parchment paper while moving to a peal to load in the oven would work out.

I actually do this all the time.  Great for kids and family gatherings.  I'll get all the dough made a few days ahead of time so it has a chance for a good nap in the fridge.  On the day of, I'll prep all the toppings and set them out for everyone on my kitchen island.  (aka the pizza creation station) 

Love the "pizza creation station"

Will alcohol be involved? It may effect the quality of the product

Heh, better start them off slow then.

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »
After pressed or hand formed on parchment paper.
leave on the parchment paper. load the skin on the paper.
use the peel to send to the oven on the paper.
bake on the paper. works great and easy to handle

Sonny
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:25:08 PM by sonny.eymann »

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
I have QY 2  19" stones in my counter oven.
the 4 oz dough balls formed about 6" pizzas.
I had a least 10 in the oven at once. on paper the are easy to deliver and retrieve from the oven.
There were 22 people at the last one I did with a total of about 30 dough balls consumed

Sonny

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »
I think we need to see some pics in this thread of guest created pizzas, good and bad.

Here you go.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
Adam,

Different times when Steve (Ev) invites me and other people to his home to bake in one of his WFO's he always let anyone bring their own dough balls and toppings or lets anyone try to make pizzas using his dough balls.  In the second photo at Reply 18 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25679.msg259343.html#msg259343  it can be seen one teen that was making her own pizza.  This is also another thread where Steve let anyone make pizzas.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19533.msg191156.html#msg191156  If that thread is scanned through for photos it can also be seen there are children making pizzas.  At Reply 16  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21348.msg215397.html#msg215397 and the next posts it can be seen some of the different doughs and different pizzas people at Steve's baked in his WFO.  In the end of all of those people making dough and pizzas had a great time and enjoying different pizzas was good.  I think I also had other threads of different people baking in Steve's WFO but I can't find them right now.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »
Here is what it looks like when they cook them at high heat:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 10:19:30 PM »
Well that's not very profitable Tom..... ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Adam T

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »

Don't they call that barely done in New Haven?

I'll be sure to make extra dough when I let guests make their own.

pizzapan