Author Topic: The Different Cheese Brands: Mozzerella compared  (Read 3758 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
The Different Cheese Brands: Mozzerella compared
« on: March 16, 2006, 06:53:17 PM »
I was looking through all the cheese postings and couldn't find any over-arching posts related to all the mozz brands.  I've seen quite a few postings on Polly-o and Grande, and then some less familiar, but exotic sounding brands have a posting or two each.

For those of you who have tasted a wide pallete of mozzerella brands, could you please offer a contrast and compare posting for me and others who are not so "cultured" with cheeses?

I've had Polly-o, as I think every grocery store in America carries it.  I've also had the two mozzerellas stocked at Cash and Carry...sorry that I can't remember their brands off-hand: well, I remember one of the brands...the BelGioioso is a much wetter, almost mud substance.  The other was a generic brand, a 9lb brick which must be low-moisture.  The 9lb brick seems to have a flat/stale taste compared to Polly-o's creaminess.  Likewise, all the other grocery-store brand Mozzerellas I can remember have been for the most part flat/stale...I'm sure there were exceptions, but even if I could remember where I got them at, it was under a grocery store's own label.  I also preferred the Polly-o to the BelGioioso...again, I found the Polly-o to be creamier.

Anyhow, I've come into a local source for bulk cheese.  They carry BEL GIOIOSO, CAPPIELLO, CREAM BAY, DIGIORNO'S (assuming its the same company, I thought they only made frozen pizza), an assortment of GRANDE CHEESE mozzs (BOCCONCINI FRSH MOZZ., CILIEGINE FRESH MOZZ....don't know the differences here), ITALIAN FRESCA, ITALIANO, MOZZARELLA FRESCA, OLYMPIC, POMELLA (a Buffalo mozzerella which I've heard is good), PRIMA CUCINA, QUALITA PREMIA, RUMIANO, SORRENTO, STELLA, and TIVOLI.

So, what would you recommend and why?  If the "perfect" cheese is not on this list, please let me know what it is anyways.  I know this probably comes down to ones own taste, so try to be objective as possible in your analysis.  For instance, was one creamier than another?  Was one especially salty (I've heard Grande is very salty)?  etc, etc...

Thanks for your posts.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 07:13:17 PM by ihavezippers »

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Re: The Different Cheese Brands: Mozzerella compared
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 07:28:15 PM »
I have tried several cheeses. 

Grande from Wisconsin is considered by many to be the most buttery, flavorful, and also greasiest pizza cheese.  It's the one to use for "authentic"  NY style pizza.

Stella, also from somewhere in the midwest (I think), is a close second, IMHO.  I believe it is widely used in the midwest, esp. Chicago. Stella is relatively inexpensive. 

Polly-O whole milk tasted salty, is flavorful, but if it's not low moisture it's going to be runny and wet.

I also bought a 5# bag of pre-shredded "Kirkland" low-moisture, part skim.  It handles and tastes surprisingly well, but not nearly as good as Stella (low moisture, whole milk) and Grande (ditto).

My preference is for low-moisture, whole milk cheese.   IMHO, you can't go wrong with Grande or Stella.

Also be aware that cheese fluctuates from batch to batch.  One block of Grande may be superb; another, sour.

I've heard pizza places will age their mozz in the fridge for weeks or even months to develop it's flavor. 

Gotta split - having relatives over tomorrow for PIZZA.  Need to make 5 dough balls.

Cheers,

- Fio

Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 11:56:14 PM »
I've had Polly-o, as I think every grocery store in America carries it.

Actually, as Pete-zza points out here and here, Polly-O is a very small company whose distribution is limited primarily to the Eastern seaboard. Of the two national and four regional grocery chains here in the Research Triangle (NC), only two carry Polly-O (and even then, not all their stores carry it), and only two of the five Super Wal-Marts carry it.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:04:40 AM »
I really think grande is over rated except for its amazing melting characteristics and the fact that it is very consistent.  Also, it tastes a little bit like munster (who was it that said that here on the forum, a genius!).  I have never found it to be as salty as many other brands of mozzarella????

Does anybody else around here think Grande is a little bland and boring tasting ? 

Now Dragone or Jolina as it is known to pizzerias has some really great flavor.  Too bad it melts like SxxT

Poly O, pretty good middle of the road cheese I think.  Melts alright, tastes pretty good.

Stella  good flavor, but some batches turn to plastic when melted. 

Sorrento, now that's pretty good cheese when the batch doesn't break down in the oven.  Great flavor, great melt.  Poor consistency.

Great lakes/Empire, good melting consistency, good solid cheese, just a little American cheese tasting for me.

Axelrod,  now I haven't had it around my parts in years, but that was some serious cheese.  They still sell this stuf in the NY/Jersey area.

Saputo Gold, good melt like grande, no flavor (similar to grande) sorry.  I know I am pissing people off here with the anti grande talk.

Buffalo mozzarella, now we are talking.   Flavor, melt, everything.  Case closed.  Now the only problem is you have to know a dealer to get the really fresh stuff otherwise you will think it sucks.

The only time I am happy with processed mozzarella (everything I mentioned except buffalo) is if I blend it to get what I want.  Flavor, melt, resistance to burning.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 12:24:24 AM by scott r »

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 02:41:28 AM »
Actually, as Pete-zza points out here and here, Polly-O is a very small company whose distribution is limited primarily to the Eastern seaboard. Of the two national and four regional grocery chains here in the Research Triangle (NC), only two carry Polly-O (and even then, not all their stores carry it), and only two of the five Super Wal-Marts carry it.

Just in my experience, I have found Polly-O common where I have lived.  In California and Washington, I have found it in chain grocery stores commonly; this past Christmas, I saw it in the few grocery stores I went into in Georgia.  Sorry, didn't mean to misrepresent.