Author Topic: Simple Sauce- SM tomato only, nothing else.  (Read 486 times)

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Simple Sauce- SM tomato only, nothing else.
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »
My best sauce ever...

Recently there was a thread about the San Marzano fields in Italy having been subject to poisonous toxic waste (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29239.0). If you are concerned about that but want really good sauce, I think that growing your own San Marzanos is the best thing you can do and yields a sauce that can't be beat.

I think that San Marzano tomoatoes are the best sauce tomatoes ever, because they contain very little water and very few seeds, plus they have a unique taste. Also, fresh tomatoes are the best, so I think that if you have a few square meters of ground you owe to yourself to grow your own. In season (its summer in NZ right now), we have fresh uncooked sauce on the pizze. During the rest of the year we used our bottled sauce.

I think the pulp from the SM tomatoes is out of this world: It resembles rich, thick gooey tomato cream straight as it comes out of the passata mill (have a look at the third picture).

The resultant sauce has nothing else added. No salt, no basil, no nothing. What it tastes like though, is the essence of tomato.

Here's some pics. They were taken with a mobile phone so not the best quality, but here goes:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:18:31 PM by kiwipete »

Offline Fire-n-smoke

Re: Simple Sauce- SM tomato only, nothing else.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Growing your own is always a great idea, but this year I don't think we'll be growing much!  There is so much snow I think by the time it is done melting it will be winter again!   :-D
Tom

pizzapan