Author Topic: Pasadena bound!!  (Read 623 times)

Offline Smokey Dough

• I Love Pizza!
Pasadena bound!!
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:19:24 AM »
My two boys will be marching in the Tournament of Roses 125th Rose Parade with the Rosemount High School Marching Band on New Year's Day and my wife and I will be in the Pasadena are for a week.

Any recommendations for a good pizza?

Tom

Online flyboy4ual

Re: Pasadena bound!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:42:37 AM »

Offline Smokey Dough

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:46:45 AM »
Thank you flyboy4oul!  The boys will be shuttled around separately all week and my wife and I will be free to enjoy great pizza.  Settebello looks like a must stop.

I lived in Northern Italy for four years and could not get enough of pizza!

Tom

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
As I life-long resident of Pasadena up until a few months ago (we moved 30 minutes North) I would rate The Luggage Room (at the train station in Pasadena) as my overall favorite in Southern California.  Olive wood in the WFO, naturally leavened dough, farm-fresh toppings; it's tough to beat.   My favorite pizza there is the "Gladiator" with added green olives and I prefer mine with some char.  Their restaurant next door, La Grande Orange is likewise excellent and I've never had a bad meal there.  Both places are a great hang.  Cool, but not so trendy that you feel out of place.

I would suggest skipping Bella's Gourmet Pizza, Tarantino's as well as Avanti Cafe (which is NOT the best pizza in Pasadena by any measure). 

Brothers Pies N Fries off Colorado Blvd in Old Town makes a NJ-ish pizza.  The pizza is baked to perfection with a very expensive Cuppone oven, but they only make same-day emergency dough.  Ugh.

Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock, the town immediately West, might be of interest.  They make a Chicago thin crust, but I'm sad to say that their quality and consistency has fallen off.  When they make a good pizza, I would put that near the top of my list of "electric chair request" meals.  They're closed on Sunday and Monday.  I would suggest going there before 5:40 on a Tuesday or Wednesday (open at 4) otherwise you may experience a very long wait for a table.   The rest of the food on their menu isn't memorable with the exception of their Pasta Al Forno.

Masa of Echo Park, about 15 minutes south of Pasadena, makes an excellent Chicago deep dish.  It's not my cup of tea, but they do it very well.

Pizzeria Mozza (about 20 minutes south of Pasadena) is a bit pricey, but what sets them apart is the fact that they cure their own meats in-house.   If you go there I recommend getting the caprese salad with their garlic bread.  It's one of the most memorable things I've ever eaten.  It's THAT good.   Their regular restaurant next door, Osteria Mozza, is incredible (the mozzarella bar will blow your mind) and it's pricey as well.  But if you're celebrating a special occasion it's worthwhile.

Finally, I have to mention Vito's Pizza on La Cieniga (near Beverly Hills, 30-40 minutes away from Pasadena).  It is a NJ/NY slice joint that is the equal of any deck oven pizza place back east.  Even Scott123 has ogled and admired the photos of their pizza.  Vito uses an heirloom yeast (don't call it a sourdough in his presence) that's been in his family for over 100 years.  The dough doesn't have an obvious sourdough tang, but it does have a lovely, subtle aroma and taste.  It's the simplest pizza of all the one's I've listed, but it's memorable nonetheless.

A couple of other places that deserve a quick mention are Tomato Pie Pizza Joint (in Silver Lake; NY pizza, about 20 minutes south of Pasadena) and Slicetruck Pizzeria in West LA (best American style pizza I've ever had).

If you have questions about any other places, chances are I've tried it.  Don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Smokey Dough

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »
Thanks jsaras! 

I really appreciate the detailed information.  I will be spending the next couple of days mapping them out in relation to the hotel we are staying at and will get to as many as I possible. 

Tom

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »
Also, note that Luggage Room and Slicetruck open at 4 p.m during the week and at noon on the weekends.  Luggage Room does change their schedule during the holidays to open earlier during the day, so you may want to call ahead so see when they're open on the day you think you'll be there.

FWIW, I ordered a 20-inch pizza from Brothers Pies N' Fries yesterday for a Christmas party potluck.  The pizza vanished almost immediately. It was a perfect bake, but otherwise not a remarkable pie.  I wouldn't put it on your place to visit list.  I only mentioned it because someone may steer you there, but it pales in comparison to Tomato Pie Pizza Joint and certainly Vito's.

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
I'm curious to hear what places you were able to visit while out here in So Cal.

Regards,
Jonas

Offline Smokey Dough

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
Jonas,
Being part of a tour group and carted around on a charter bus all week, we did not have the opportunity to get out on our own as much as we would have liked.  Although most of our evenings were free from about 8pm on, the hotel was just a little too far from the places you had mentioned.

One evening we had about 2 hours to spend in Old Pasadena and the group we were with chose to go to Slaterís 50/50 Burgers by Design, what an experience.  My oldest son (16 y/o) managed to eat one of their one-pounders!

On New Yearís Eve my wife and I decided to abandon the bus, rent a car, and met with friends of ours that live in San Pedro for dinner.  We ate at California Pizza Kitchen in Long Beach.  This was our first time eating their pizza, and to tell the truth, I really wasnít that impressed. 

I have seen many things and have been too many places around the world, but nothing tops seeing my two boys march down Colorado Blvd with 206 of their friends in the Rosemount High School Marching Band on New Yearís morning.  What a way to start the New Year!

I appreciate the information you gave me, just wish I had a little more free time to get out.

Thanks,  Tom

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »
You're not offending anyone with your opinion of California Pizza Kitchen.   It's basically an American-style dough with a LOT of oil and sugar; meh.  Better luck next time!

J

pizzapan