Author Topic: Marsal MB for NY pizza  (Read 484 times)

Offline Gianni5

Marsal MB for NY pizza
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:01:14 AM »
A few months ago I purchased a marsal wf60 stacked with the mb60 under it. I've posted a few times about my napoletana ish pizzas in the wave oven so now I thought I'd share some quick thoughts on the mb60.
    I really can't imagine an oven better suited for New York Pizza.  I've worked mainly with blodgett and bakers pride ovens and the marsal for me is the best. I saw a post recently about the asbestos bricks in older blodgetts and I actually still have 2 blodgett 1048 ovens that my father fitted with the asbestos stones from the first ovens he owned from 1971.  I agree that's a great oven but for me the marsal still takes it just because of the even top and bottom heat.
   Marsal's claim of not needing to spin the pizza are definitely overblown and we've had a few issues with the pilot light not staying lit but those are the only small issues I've had.
   We run the oven between 575 and 600 and crank out 6 to 7 minute pizzas all day.  With the oven at 650 for some reason the cook time is crazy fast. I'll post a pic of a pizza I just made that took just over 4 minutes.
   I'd highly recommend the MB60.

Offline scott123

Re: Marsal MB for NY pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:52:33 AM »
A Marsal MB makes a phenomenal pizza in 4 minutes? Really? Who knew?  I'm shocked! :-D

Seriously, though, John, I'm really happy to see you pushing the boundaries of the MB and producing such a stunning looking pie. The feedback is also incredibly helpful, since, even though I recommend the MBs quite a lot, and some members have opted for them, we don't get a huge amount of feedback of how they perform in the real world.

If you do another 4 minute bake, could you get an upskirt shot?  I trust you when you say that it's a balanced bake, but I'd like to see exactly how the browning on the undercrust looks at that bake time. Believe it or not, with all the discussion this forum has had on the MBs I think you are the first person to post a photo of a 4 minute bake with one.

What flour are you using? Are you still blending?

And, lastly, I might be a little biased, but that pizza looks incredibly profitable to me.  Are you tempted at all to sell that rather than your 6-7 minute pies?

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:08:17 AM »
I'll do an upskirt shot tomorrow. If the oven has been cranked up for a long time without  cooking a pizza you will have to screen the first couple pizzas but after that your good.

I'm only blending flour for the new NP style pizza. The NY is 100% General Mills superlative flour.

The only problem with going with the faster bake time for our NY pizzas is that it produces a different (albeit better) pie and our customers know our pizza and can be resistant to change.  We also tend to top our pizzas a little on the heavy side and our regular crust is a little thicker than the one in that picture.  We also have 3 locations and want to keep things consistent. We're going to do one more store within the next year or two and this is the style pizza I want to do. 

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »
gianni
thats a phenom looking pie.....tell me, do you CONSCIOUSLY form the rim of your pizza??

pizzapan