Author Topic: main page PH pan recipe?  (Read 12118 times)

Offline kcbbq83

• I Love Pizza!
main page PH pan recipe?
« on: March 19, 2006, 05:31:46 PM »
I made up the Pizza Hut Pan recipe from the main page today and had some questions.

Water Temp?

Is the powdered milk in the recipe regular powdered milk or the special bakers powdered milk I've read about in some threads in the forums?

Do you ever punch the premade crust down, or do you just build your pie on top of the raised up crust?

I made two batches of this dough today, the only differences being that the second batch had warmer water than the first. The second batch was far more extensible, the first required serious effort to grow to pan size and fought back quite a bit at that.
Did temp make that much of a difference?

Offline chiguy

Re: main page PH pan recipe?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 11:24:32 PM »
 Hi kcbbq,
 I understand the guy who posted the recipe may have been a Pizza Hut employee. I do not believe currently Pizza Hut uses ADY. It will not hurt the recipe, but ADY does need to be rehydrated in water that is at least 100F. You can rehydrate the yeast in a small portion of the water as others here suggest. I do not see any point to that when using small recipes.
 If this were Pizza Hut they would be using a higher grade dry milk mostly as a browning agent. There is a definetion of DRY MILK in the glossary section here.

I would like to make note that the recipe does not specify how long the dough is allowed too ferment before going to the cooler. If the skin placed in pan is 3/4 inch and needs to be 1 1/2inch before going to the cooler, i assume that could be out for 2,2 1/2,3 hours??? There are alot of factors that will determine how fast it will double in the pan. But one thing is for sure, enough yeast is being used and high enough tempertures as long as you hydrate the yeast properly.
 I am a bit perplexed on why the dough needs 4 more hours in the cooler and up to 24hours. It would seem to me that the majority of the fermentation has taken place. I think the refridgerator is probably being used as a holder for the day.
 The fact that you had problems of springy dough that did not rise enough would have me
 to think that you had yeast activity problems from the start, possibly water temperatures.
 As for wheather to punch the dough down before baking, this is fairly common practice in most pizzerias. I have never worked at pizza hut so i cannot say anything for them.
 It would be nice if the original poster for this recipe could iron out some of the details in this recipe because they are a bit sketchy.
 Maybe someone who has experience with this recipe can also comment on their results.
  Goodluck,  Chiguy

Offline kcbbq83

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 08:32:33 AM »
Chiguy, thanks for the response.

I used IDY because its what I had and omitted the powdered milk. The pans I used are old bakers secret type dark cake pans 11x15, basically they're high sided cookie sheets (~1 1/2) I bought at a neighbors garage sale who used to make wedding cakes.
At 11 x 15 (165 sq") I thought I should get comparable results to a 14" round (153.9 sq") the recipe calls for.

I made up the pies, and despite the differences between the two batches off the hook, they both baked up identical.

I patted the dough down except the rim and topped with sauce, cheese and pepperoni, baked them up on tiles preheated to 500*)  The crust was tooooo thick, and texture wise close but not quite what I was hoping for. It was a bit more like a heavy bread, than a thick pizza crust. I didn't use as much oil in the pan as the recipe called for but got a nice golden brown finish on the outside of the crust with touch of crispiness on the outside.

I should have checked the temp of the water and dough as it came off the hook, and weighed the dough balls but didn't. Not that it mattered much, after the room temp rise time (~ 1 1/2 hrs in my oven with the light on) both crusts looked identical. The only difference between the two was in the workability of the dough.

Next time I try this I'll weigh the dough and cut about 25% of it out of before I work it up to go in the pan and I'll try a bit more oil, although the outside of the crust was the on thing I was semi pleased with, it lacked the distinct oily surface and almost fried crunch I'm used to getting out of the delivery box.

Anyone else that has made this recipe that can help fill in the blanks, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 10:14:57 PM »
I asked some time ago about baking on the stone as the recipe suggests.

Are those who use this recipe, actually baking the pizza in the pan on the stone? I stopped doing this because it seemed to interfer with the bottom crust baking completely.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 10:31:45 PM »
I tend to proof both ADY and IDY. I'm proofing the IDY simply out of habit and have no justification for it.

Colder dough is less extensable and can even be more likely to tear.

I think there are more people using canadave's deep-dish recipe.

I believe alot of people are still having to re-press the lip before baking.

I have tried using less oil.  One thing that worked to help keep the dough from slidding down was to use something called baker's grease.

Equal amounts (not by weight) of flour, oil and Crisco...completely blended, then brushed on the pan with a pastry brush.

Baker's Grease:

1 T. oil
1 T. Crisco
1 T. flour (whatever flour you use in your dough recipe is fine)
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline kcbbq83

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 12:33:05 AM »
Lydia, thank's for verifying my suspicions about the colder dough being the difference in workability.

I did bake the pizza on 1/2" thick quarry tiles, and short of my not using enough oil in the pan, the finish on the outside of the crust was very nice. Golden brown and crunchy at the surface, although with a bit more oil I think the cruchy layer would have been a bit thicker. I don't think this would happen without the stone to put direct heat to the pan.

The oven spring was excellent, too good in fact on the field of the pie. The whole of the crust rose to near the full 1 1/2" ht of the pan with the rim being just a bit taller. I originally thought there was just too much dough (by weight) to start with. After having eaten the leftovers, there was perhaps too much yeast (you could taste it) or too much sugar feeding it.

Even this flop was better eating than what I made before I found this site :D

I'll give dave's recipe a try next time.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 02:10:07 PM »
It's not a flop, it's a stepping stone. I still haven't got this one to work for me, so don't sweat it. I come back to this recipe every now-and-again, but I went on to other recipes.

I have in my notes that the water temp should be 90-110F (I would aim for 100F ) and the oil for the pans should be 1 oz. for a small; 2 oz. for a medium; and 3 oz. for a large. Unfortuantely I dont know what size pans these are. I believe I found this information from within this board...somewhere. ???

I had the same experience and was happier with the end result when I used just a bit less dough.
1.8 oz. for my 14 inch pan and 1.2 oz. in the 9 inch but I think it could go lower.

I "believe" the yeast taste has somewhat do to the rise in the cooler. The 24 hrs. will change the texture and gives depth to the flavor. The cold ferment is usually a "good thing" but you could certainly try it without the refrigeration and should have decent results.

I use a fine instant non-fat milk powder in all my recipes. It gives the desired color and helps to relax the dough, so I haven't bothered with anything else.

Another thought on the extensability. If you worked the dough- just a bit more than the other- it will also retract more. This is were the powdered milk helps to relax the dough so that it is easier to work with.

When I have pressed down the dough after it rose in the pan. The crust was too dense and had a doughy texture in the center even though it was cooked through. The outer rim baked great even when the lip was re-formed.  ???

This site is has done wonders for my pizzas too.  :pizza:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 03:47:40 PM »
Lydia,

From time to time, people will ask Tom Lehmann if he has a dough formulation for a Pizza Hut pan pizza. Some time ago, I found the formulation shown here: http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/bbs/archive11.cgi?read=6637, and reproduced as follows (in case the above link doesn't work):

Does anyone have the
> reciepy of Pizza Hut's Pan-Pizza's
> dough?
> Thank you very much in
> advance!
Rustam;
This should get you pointed in the right direction.
Flour (bread flour) 100%
Salt 1.8%
Sugar 2%
Oil 5%
yeast (compressed) 1.5%
Water 58% (+/-)
Mix the dough until smooth.
Divide and form into balls.
Wipe with oil.
Croiss stack in the cooler for 2 hours, then down stack and use on the following day.
Remove dough from cooler and allow to warm at room temp for 1-2 hours.
Generously oil deep dish pans.
Sheet dough to fit pan size and place in pans.
Proof dough in proofer for 60 to 70 minutes at 95 to 100F/75% relative humidity.
Sauce, dress and bake.
Tom Lehmann/TDD

At another time, I saw a similar formulation in which the hydration was 60% and the amount of yeast was 2% (fresh yeast). What is missing in the instructions is a typical dough weight and corresponding pan size. However, if anyone wants to try the formulation and can provide a pan size (diameter) and depth, and a rough idea of crust thickness (e.g., thin, medium or thick), I think I can come up with amounts of ingredients to try. I would be inclined to substitute instant dry yeast (IDY) for cake yeast, using one-third by weight of the fresh yeast. My recollection is that the PH pans have markings for the depth of dough to use and that the dough rises during the proofing to the final desired level. The dough could be proofed in a microwave that has been warmed up and humidified by a large cup of water that has been brought to a boil and put into the microwave with the dough to be proofed.

If someone decides to try the Lehmann version, it might be a good idea to start a new thread to report on the results.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 11:44:03 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 04:34:02 PM »
Thanks Peter.

You actually helped me with what I was posting under Randys Kitchen Aid thin crust regarding proofing and hydration methods.

Dont know when I can get around to working on this one. I'm still trying to figure out what I failed to document on my Brewhouse (beer drinkers) deep-dish, since I can't reproduce it. :'(

Offline pizza-anytime

• I Love Pizza!
my pan pizza pics.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 10:35:04 AM »
Pan pizza is my all time favorite, just love the bready thick crust. i tried the recipe of pizza hut pan pizza from this website a couple of months back and call it beginners luck, it was great the first time i tried. The results are pretty consistent, i get a delicious pan pizza each time. :P..here r the pics.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
Very nice! :pizza:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline jbpizza

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 06:15:18 PM »
I just made the Pizza hut recipe this weekend. It tasted great. The only thing was that it was very, very thick. I would say it's still better than the ones I use to make in flavor. Nice and chewy and crunchy on the outside. I also had a problem with it being very hard to work with when spreading. I might use Lora brody's Heavenly dough additive next time.  ;D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 06:30:26 PM »
jbpizza,

You might want to take a look at the alternative PH dough formulation I came up with at this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909 (Reply 3). As you will note, I scaled the PH dough recipe down to the dough ball size that apparently is used at PH. If you decide to try the alternative recipe, please let us know if it is an improvement. You will, of course, have to follow the original instructions.

Peter

pizzapan