Author Topic: ATTENTION NJ Members - I have a case of F&A WM LM loaves of Motz  (Read 2743 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
ATTENTION NJ Members - I have a case of F&A WM LM loaves of Motz
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
I wanted to try this cheese and just refused to pay the amount that PennMac wanted for one loaf and a bazillion dollars for shipping. I just went to my local cash and carry and bought a case of 8 6lb. loaves of whole milk low moisture mozzarella. I have them stored in my spare fridge at the coldest setting possible. If anyone in the NJ area would like to buy some, please pm me. 
Mary Ann

Offline Ryan2014

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: ATTENTION NJ Members - I have a case of F&A WM LM loaves of Motz
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:26:50 AM »
I had a case of F&A once. my doctor told me to just let it air out and it would clear up on its own

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:29:45 AM »
How much did it cost? (I see that PennMac sells it for $7 a pound.)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
How much did it cost? (I see that PennMac sells it for $7 a pound.)

Ryan,

2.95 per pound.
Mary Ann

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
What brand is F&A?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »
What brand is F&A?

In 1958 two brothers, Frank and Angelo Terranova, started F&A Cheese Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
What brand is F&A?

Nate,

I've heard that this cheese is great on pizza.  Here's a little history on the company http://fadairy.com/history.html
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »
Getting ready to grate it for pizza night  ;D. Call me crazy for buying a whole case.  Who cares?!  It's for the love of pizza!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:25:42 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 08:44:43 PM »
I never heard of this kind of mozzarella. Where are you in NJ?
Chaz

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »
I never heard of this kind of mozzarella. Where are you in NJ?

Morris County  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 08:59:39 PM »
Ok....I'm in Ocean county.
Chaz

scott123

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
Hmm... maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think I'm seeing a slight yellow tinge- that's good. The misshapen packing is kind of a bummer, though. What did they do, drive over it with a truck?  :)

Chaz, here are my ratings for cheese. The Saputo/Frigo rating is based mostly on yours, Maryann's and Marlon's feedback and my own experience with a mistakenly purchased part skim Saputo, but the other two I've tasted myself.

Calabro - 9
Saputo/Frigo - 8.5
Grande - 5

Based on what I've heard from a friend in the industry, F&A could easily be in the Frigo or better category.

Maryann, I'd love to purchase a loaf, but I have too much going on right now to make pizza. What's the expiration date?

FWIW, Saputo is growing on me.  It's not really as buttery or yellow as Calabro, but it grates fairly cleanly and has a very opaque, creamy velvety surface that I think is characteristic of a great motz- as opposed to a translucent (swiss-ish) or shiny (muenster-ish) lower quality mozzarella.

I was also taking another look at these yesterday:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25297.msg276898.html#msg276898

These two pies have some of the best looking cheese I've ever seen on a pizza, and they happen to be Saputo.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 07:23:38 AM »
Hmm... maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think I'm seeing a slight yellow tinge- that's good. The misshapen packing is kind of a bummer, though. What did they do, drive over it with a truck?  :)

Chaz, here are my ratings for cheese. The Saputo/Frigo rating is based mostly on yours, Maryann's and Marlon's feedback and my own experience with a mistakenly purchased part skim Saputo, but the other two I've tasted myself.

Calabro - 9
Saputo/Frigo - 8.5
Grande - 5

Based on what I've heard from a friend in the industry, F&A could easily be in the Frigo or better category.

Maryann, I'd love to purchase a loaf, but I have too much going on right now to make pizza. What's the expiration date?

FWIW, Saputo is growing on me.  It's not really as buttery or yellow as Calabro, but it grates fairly cleanly and has a very opaque, creamy velvety surface that I think is characteristic of a great motz- as opposed to a translucent (swiss-ish) or shiny (muenster-ish) lower quality mozzarella.

I was also taking another look at these yesterday:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25297.msg276898.html#msg276898

These two pies have some of the best looking cheese I've ever seen on a pizza, and they happen to be Saputo.

Scott,

Is the date on the box the package date or the expiration date?
Mary Ann

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 08:05:11 AM »
Scott -

have you seen in your research whether Calabro sells retail or cash & carry at their location?  I need to spend some time to find the 5 lb blocks, someone around here must carry them.  Also, do you know if the retail calabro is the same as the 5lb blocks?   I'm working through 6 lb of Napoli foods house brand which is definite step up from retail sorrento or polly-O.   

thanks

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 08:51:35 AM »
Scott, I never tried Grande, but I'm surprised how low you rank it. I'm happy with the combination of Saputo & Sclafani for my pies :-)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:55:09 AM by Chaze215 »
Chaz

scott123

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
Scott,

Is the date on the box the package date or the expiration date?

Mary Ann, I don't know. Is it in the future? If memory serves me correctly, I've seen electronically inscribed dates on some of the loaves I've seen.  I'd look at the loaf.

scott123

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
have you seen in your research whether Calabro sells retail or cash & carry at their location?  I need to spend some time to find the 5 lb blocks, someone around here must carry them.  Also, do you know if the retail calabro is the same as the 5lb blocks?   I'm working through 6 lb of Napoli foods house brand which is definite step up from retail sorrento or polly-O.

The Napoli sounds similar to Restaurant Depot's private label, Supremo Italiano.  The SI is solid, definitely better than retail Sorrento or Polly-O, but I think Saputo is a step up. I believe Mary Ann ranked the SI about the same as Grande, but I might go a bit higher- like a 6.5.

I was on the phone with Calabro's sales rep for about 2 hours and we covered a lot of ground. I know we talked about purchasing the cheese in person, but the details are a bit fuzzy. If memory serves me correctly, she was willing to sell me a loaf if I made the trip, but, because I told her I was sourcing Calabro for both personal use and for clients, I'm not sure she considered me a 'retail' customer.  I definitely recall that she mentioned that they don't make 'pizza cheese' all the time and that I should call in advance to make sure they have some on hand.

I would call her.  Here are her details:

Fiorella Cutrufello
Calabro Mid-Atlantic Office
(856) 642-6277
fiorella@calabrocheese.com

She is probably the kindest and most knowledgeable sales rep I've ever dealt with.  I invited her to swing by here, and, hopefully, at some point, she will.

If the logistics don't work out with Calabro, you could always touch base with Nick (Gabaghool).

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=12557

since I believe he typically has it on hand and could sell you a loaf. Joey Garlic's could also be less of a trek for you than Calabro.

Regarding retail vs. wholesale Calabro, I think Fiorella might have mentioned something along the lines of the shape of the cheese impacting the way it aged, but I don't believe it was all that consequential, so, for all intents and purposes, yes, the retail and wholesale pizza cheese should be the same.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:14:13 AM by scott123 »

scott123

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »
Scott, I never tried Grande, but I'm surprised how low you rank it. I'm happy with the combination of Saputo & Sclafani for my pies :-)

Chaz, Grande didn't capture the market share by being flavorless, so, at some point, it was great cheese, but not now.  It melts absolutely flawlessly, but the flavor just isn't there.  It's also a bit salty, which, for me, is a black mark. I would go with Grande over anything retail, and I'd probably choose it over both Polly-O and Sorrento wholesale (which I believe are the same as retail), but I think Saputo is clearly superior.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:35 AM »
Mary Ann, I don't know. Is it in the future? If memory serves me correctly, I've seen electronically inscribed dates on some of the loaves I've seen.  I'd look at the loaf.

Scott,

What's on the loaf is the same thing as the box.  If it is the production date, I think I'm ok.  But if it is the sell by date then I'm gonna be pissed.
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »
FWIW, I agree with your rating but cannot comment on the Calabro yet.  The F&A has a nice clean grate but I thought that the Frigo had more of a buttery smell when grating.  It did taste good cooked and uncooked , though.  Unfortunately, I had to make my pies early yesterday afternoon and reheat for dinner due to after school activities, so I didn't get to properly judge the melt/stretch factor of F&A.  I will call F&A on Monday to get an answer as to the date/vat # on the box and post response here for anyone interested.  Clearly an impulse buy, but it's ok  ::)
Mary Ann

pizzapan