Author Topic: ATTENTION NJ Members - I have a case of F&A WM LM loaves of Motz  (Read 2272 times)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: ATTENTION NJ Members - I have a case of F&A WM LM loaves of Motz
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 09:37:30 AM »
The Napoli sounds similar to Restaurant Depot's private label, Supremo Italiano.  The SI is solid, definitely better than retail Sorrento or Polly-O, but I think Saputo is a step up. I believe Mary Ann ranked the SI about the same as Grande, but I might go a bit higher- like a 6.5.

I was on the phone with Calabro's sales rep for about 2 hours and we covered a lot of ground. I know we talked about purchasing the cheese in person, but the details are a bit fuzzy. If memory serves me correctly, she was willing to sell me a loaf if I made the trip, but, because I told her I was sourcing Calabro for both personal use and for clients, I'm not sure she considered me a 'retail' customer.  I definitely recall that she mentioned that they don't make 'pizza cheese' all the time and that I should call in advance to make sure they have some on hand.

I would call her.  Here are her details:

Fiorella Cutrufello
Calabro Mid-Atlantic Office
(856) 642-6277
fiorella@calabrocheese.com

She is probably the kindest and most knowledgeable sales rep I've ever dealt with.  I invited her to swing by here, and, hopefully, at some point, she will.

If the logistics don't work out with Calabro, you could always touch base with Nick (Gabaghool).

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=12557

since I believe he typically has it on hand and could sell you a loaf. Joey Garlic's could also be less of a trek for you than Calabro.

Regarding retail vs. wholesale Calabro, I think Fiorella might have mentioned something along the lines of the shape of the cheese impacting the way it aged, but I don't believe it was all that consequential, so, for all intents and purposes, yes, the retail and wholesale pizza cheese should be the same.

Thanks Scott   :D      I didn't even think of checking with Nick even though a friend & I have been talking about trying to get to Joey Garlic's this week. 

Sorry Mary Ann for getting off topic

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
Here's a visual of how the F&A cheese melted on my NY bakes from Friday night.
Mary Ann

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
Mary Ann,

Your pies look very good!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »
Thank you Norma!
Mary Ann

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
Looks good Mary Ann. Is that Vermont smoked pepperoni?
Chaz

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »
It sure is  ;D  My new favorite pepperoni...
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 12:15:29 PM »
Mary Ann, I don't know. Is it in the future? If memory serves me correctly, I've seen electronically inscribed dates on some of the loaves I've seen.  I'd look at the loaf.

For those interested, I just spoke with the customer service representative from F&A regarding the date on the box and the inscribed date on the loaf. This date is when the cheese is made.  For the case I just bought, the date is 11/19/13.  The man indicated that even though the recommended refrigerated shelf life is between 30 and 45 days, the longer it stays in the fridge unopened, the more it ages, yielding a better flavor.

He also told me that it is ok to freeze it, but it must be thawed in the refrigerator versus room temperature.  I know there are mixed feelings from forum members on freezing cheese.  I have it stored in my spare refrigerator at 36F.

So, if any NJ members are still interested in trying this cheese my offer is still on the table $2.95 per pound.  Each loaf is approximately 6 pounds.
Mary Ann

Offline scott123

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Disregard my previous comment. I'm in. As busy as I am, I can't pass this up.  I've been trying to get my hands on this cheese for way too long.  I highly doubt that I'll ever find a place that sells single loaves in this area.

Mary, on a separate topic, how are you slicing the Vermont pepperoni? By hand?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:33:28 PM by scott123 »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
I used a meat slicer, Scott.
Mary Ann

Offline scott123

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »
You own your own meat slicer?!

Have I mentioned lately how much I value you as a friend?  ;D

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »
 :-D. Likewise.  My husband and I got it as a Christmas gift many years ago and we were like, "what?!" What the hell are we gonna do with a meat slicer?

Well, it has turned out to be invaluable when I want to make eggplant parm.  Last week, I used it on the pepperoni and a boneless ham.  It makes quick work of that stuff.

Aside from the different flavor profile of the smoked pepperoni, overall I thought it tasted better than the presliced stuff I've been using for my pies.  Is there a pattern here? Duh!
Mary Ann

Offline scott123

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
Pre-sliced pepperoni? How gauche  :-D

I'm okay with deli sliced Hormel pepperoni (the wide stuff) or the margarita, as long as I use it close to the day that I buy it.  If I push it beyond a day, it goes gray and loses a lot of flavor.

I actually have two sticks of the vermont pepperoni that I've had around for a few months because the thought of slicing perfectly even slices has been too daunting.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
It's tough to get even slices freehand. I think Mary Ann is onto something with that meat slicer. In fact, I think my in laws have one. Hmmmmmmmmm. I'm gonna have to look into this.  :-)
Chaz

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
Meat slicer envy here, can you tell me which one you have? I'm assuming it is for home use rather then a commercial unit. (I may be wrong)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 04:01:57 PM »
Meat slicer envy here, can you tell me which one you have? I'm assuming it is for home use rather then a commercial unit. (I may be wrong)

I have a Krups for home use.  Got it about 15 years ago.  Doubt they make it anymore but it is model no. F3727551.
Mary Ann

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
Thanks Mary Ann, I've had my eye on a small home slicer from Cabela's, I'll have to do a little research, there are SO many things I could do with a meat slicer!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »
Thanks Mary Ann, I've had my eye on a small home slicer from Cabela's, I'll have to do a little research, there are SO many things I could do with a meat slicer!

Yup, like slice cheese and pepperoni  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
Is it similar to this   http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Food-Processing-Sale%7C/pc/105625080/c/106994880/Cabelas-Heavy-Duty-75-in-Slicer/1387518.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D106994880%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104798880&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104798880%3Bcat106994880

That looks just like the slicer I have, which I haven't used in at least a year because it's so much of a hassle to slice pepperoni with these things. Are you telling me y'all are slicing pepperoni by hand? I've never used a stick of pepperoni that I would consider even close to worthy of the trouble of slicing by hand.

Just buy a case of good pepperoni. It costs less than half as much per pound, and you don't have to slice it. Even if you end up throwing out half of the case (which you shouldn't have to do because it freezes well), you're still getting a better deal and better pepperoni than when you buy most (or all?) pepperoni sticks.