Author Topic: eJomby's Pizza Thread  (Read 2100 times)

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
Re: eJomby's Pizza Thread
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »
Here is Saturday's Pizza.  It's been a while since we made some.  I made the dough in the morning, enough for 4 pizzas.  I left 2 out, and 2 I am going to cold ferment until Monday.  We didn't have any tomato sauce in the house, and I was too lazy to go to the store, so we just used what was on hand.  The dough turned out pretty good.  The first pizza, though, I opened up a little too big, so I had to crumple it to fit it on the stone.  Its toppings were BBQ chicken, red onion, and swiss. Tasted good.  The second was ham, mushroom, roma tomatoes, and mozzarella.  Also good.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:17:33 PM by ejomby »

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »
So I'm like that student that you have high hopes for, and think they'll get better, but for some strange reason, they get worse and worse.  Here's the latest offerings.  2 day cold ferment.  So the crust tasted fine-- though none of that sour dough feel I had once upon a dream.  First one stuck to the peel, so it got elongated.  The second I left in too long so it got too crunchy.  You do what you can when you're single and trying to feed 2 hungry kids.

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
Hey, sorry for the long delay.  Do you apply anything to the crust to get that shiny look?  It is especially pronounced on that last pepperoni pie.  Keep working at it and posting results. Sometimes I find myself settling for mediocrity when I should be improving, which is probably due to the fact that pretty much all pizza tastes good.

Offline Gags

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
Like Wahoo says, keep practicing! 
Sometimes you have setbacks, other times, huge leaps forward!

- I was also curious about the sheen on the crust in the last pic - just grease from the pepperoni or is it brushed with oil?

- Are you rotating the pies during the baking cycle?  I notice each pie has one area that is pretty charred compared to the rest of the crust.
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
Yes, the shininess is from a butter garlic sauce that I brush on.  The shine disappears about a minute later. 

I have not rotated.  Maybe I'll try that next time.

Here's a backlog of the last 3 weeks of pizzas.  Some aesthetic disasters, but they all tasted good.  So I think I'm doing much better on that front, achieving consistent flavor results.  The best of the batch here was one that I topped with some onions and asparagus that I had roasted ahead of time.