Author Topic: eJomby's Pizza Thread  (Read 1710 times)

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
Re: eJomby's Pizza Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »
I can't really up my game right now.  We made an emergency dough based on Lehman's Ny Style.  Started at noon, left it out until 6pm.  Very basic stuff.  The only change this time around was whole milk mozzarella, which seemed to make the pizza soggier than ever before (but the cheese did taste better).  The pizza was thin and floppy with a good crunch to the crust:

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
Big difference between the color on the canned San Marzanos and the local fresh Roma slices.  Flavor too.  The Romas have nothing that you don't add to them.

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
So I've skipped a week.  Last week I had no time, so we ordered Papa Johns.  I'm embarrassed to say that it tasted really good! :)

This week, time was cut short.  But I still drummed up some dough in the morning.  I was scientific with it until I realize I left out the oil, and then I just poured a little in. (maybe too much.) Dough was made at 10am.  Bulk fermented on the counter.  Then cut and balled at 3pm.  Cooked at 5:30pm.  The first had a blend of mozzarella and generic store Mexican cheese blend.  The second was whole milk mozzarella, roma tomatoes with pesto dollops. Sauce was imitation San Marzano from Tom Thumb.

I left the first one under broil too long and burnt it.  But it tasted better than the second one, which unfortunately lacked a lot of flavor.

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
Looks good, did you put the pesto on pre or post bake?  Also, I love the look of your stretch on that last photo; it has a very TXCraig-esque transition from endcrust to the middle of the pie.  What skin-opening method do you use?

So I've skipped a week.  Last week I had no time, so we ordered Papa Johns.  I'm embarrassed to say that it tasted really good! :)

I've found that as I've become more nerdy about pizza, I've also begun to appreciate just about any type of pizza. The only pizza I don't like is pizza that is trying to be something it isn't.  Chain pizza isn't pretending to be NY style or Neapolitan, and done right, it can be damn tasty.

Dan

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
Looks good, did you put the pesto on pre or post bake?  Also, I love the look of your stretch on that last photo; it has a very TXCraig-esque transition from endcrust to the middle of the pie.  What skin-opening method do you use?

I've found that as I've become more nerdy about pizza, I've also begun to appreciate just about any type of pizza. The only pizza I don't like is pizza that is trying to be something it isn't.  Chain pizza isn't pretending to be NY style or Neapolitan, and done right, it can be damn tasty.

Dan
You guys are just joking around, right?  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
You guys are just joking around, right?  :chef:

No, as long as its not cut in squares, I'll enjoy just about anything  ;)

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
The pesto went on post bake-- I took a picture immediately after I put it on.  It smoothed out a little more after. 

I LOVE opening pizza dough.  It's my favorite part. :)  What I usually do is, after the individual doughs have been balled or reballed and then rested, I pull them out and lightly dust the top and the counter.  I press down the center while leaving the rim intact.  I then flip it over, do the same.  Then I do the slap and rotate, where you pick it up and transfer from one hand to the other a couple of times.  Usually I throw in one toss, just to have fun.  Generally, it comes out pretty round this way.

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
So.  We took a break for a while. Dentist and Doctors, etc.  We did pizza night again this last Friday, but it didn't turn out so good.  I really like the NY style of very thin crust, so I've worked on that.  But this was once again an emergency dough made at 3pm. And then cooked at 6pm.  I put them on the broiler, both, for 2 minutes.  The Broiler is my enemy.  2 minutes each there.  I think probably 30 seconds too long.  But ultimately, I think, a burnt pizza is better than no pizza.

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
If you look at that last picture, you'll see that first pizza in the corner.  The crust came out white in the 1st picture, but then I added a garlic butter to it.  And that browned it quite well.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »
You're supposed to watch the pizza cook when it is under broiler power.....30-60seconds is all you need. And rotate pizza too if needed.

Bob

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »
Light's busted on the oven.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 07:58:33 PM »
The Broiler is my enemy. 
No...that broken oven light is.  ;D

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 12:25:08 PM »
Maybe I should use a flashlight. ;)

Well, I was more careful this last Thursday with the broiler, although I did get some black.  Only let it go for a minute.  Still working with a NY style dough with a TBSP of honey thrown in.  Emergency, made same day.  First is a cheese, the second is a hamburger/black olive.  Tasted pretty good, but I've really got to go back to a 2 day ferment-- that was my best tasting dough.

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
Still not experimenting with anything radically new.  Trying to nail down broiler time.  The first one went 1 minute on the broiler after 10 minutes in a 550 oven.  The second one went 45 seconds on the broiler.  I think that's the sweet spot.

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 10:13:29 PM »
I probably shouldn't post this because it's not my dough.  Things were too crazy, but we still did pizza anyway.  I picked up some raw dough at Tom Thumb on the way home.  The results were fairly disastrous.  A huge bready mass.  Didn't taste great either.  Oh well.

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
Thursday.  Again, I had no time to make dough.  I suppose if this becomes the dominant trend, I'll have to stop posting.  Instead, it was Tom Thumb's pizza dough.  But we did try something novel-- stromboli!  I've made it before, but I thought it was a good time to do it again.   I usually make it with ham, Genoa salami, pepperoni, pepperoncinis, and provolone-- but we improvised with prosciutto,  capicola, salami, pepperoni and mozzarella.  We dipped it in a simple marinara:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:14:30 PM by ejomby »

Offline waynesize

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »
Looks good to me! I have been contemplating Stromboli or Calzones, just to change things up a bit. Thanks for the pics!

Wayne

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
Yeah, I think it was a smart move, considering you ended up with some sorta awkward pizzas that weren't really what you wanted the other time you used that dough. The stromboli looks great, and now you know the Tom Thumb's dough might be a little more useful than you originally thought. I'd call it a win.

Offline ejomby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 05:12:19 PM »
You're right-- that dough is great for stromboli.  It might work well for a Chicago style stuffed pizza too.  I might try that one next I get Tom Thumbs.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 10:46:26 PM »
You're right-- that dough is great for stromboli. It might work well for a Chicago style stuffed pizza too. I might try that one next I get Tom Thumbs.
Wrong.   :o

Bob