Author Topic: Cold weather 12 degrees and outdoor wood fired pizzas  (Read 652 times)

Offline theppgcowboy

Cold weather 12 degrees and outdoor wood fired pizzas
« on: December 13, 2013, 03:02:15 PM »
What I have learned. If you have no way to keep ingredients warm like onions, basil and spinach and oils, they freeze real fast, the cheese freezes slower.  The doughs freeze even slower if you keep a heat blanket under the trays there was ice on the inside of the trays. 
I set up at a outside of a brewery and it is a real chore to keep things flowing. I have a heat strip to keep the granite warm, and a few cruets to keep the oil and garlic oil flowing, but it is a chore. I told them there may be a lull in pizza making, they are generous enough to suggest an area for pizza making just inside the door for me and park the pizza wagon just outside.  We will see how it goes.
I started to make pitas with the older doughs and man are they good, and they a fun to watch puff.
People with indoor controlled climates are lucky.

Offline f.montoya

Re: Cold weather 12 degrees and outdoor wood fired pizzas
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 07:12:05 AM »
I also bake in the Winter, even when it's snowing. What I do is setup a 2.5m x 2.5m canopy right in front of my WFO. Then, on the three sides not directly in front of the oven, I tightly attach tarps as walls, with an opening at the opposite side as a doorway to go in and out. The canopy is right up close to the oven so the oven doubles as a heater to keep things rather comfortable inside. I haven't had any problems with anything freezing, although I have to keep my dough tray in a large thermal Costco bag, while other trays stay indoors until needed. You can see my Winter setup in one of my youtube videos...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwf8kwOvcS8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwf8kwOvcS8</a>