Author Topic: My pizza stone temp  (Read 889 times)

Offline Kale dog

• love the smell of a pizza baking.
My pizza stone temp
« on: December 14, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »
Hello i was wondering if i should follow the temperature for my pizza stone which is 450 degree's
i emailed the company and i got

the recommended top temp is 450 degrees

Georgia  -  Consumer Service
Nordic Ware

should i exceed that temp?
10 minutes to cook is too long to wait >:(
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:43:21 PM by Kale dog »
*Sigh*

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: My pizza stone temp
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 02:58:42 PM »
450 is the lowest temperature I ever use for pizza (but only for deep dish). If the makers of your stone recommend a top temperature of 450, I'm guessing pretty confidently that you have a cheap stone, which will break as soon as you use it to do what it's supposed to do. You might as well push it to its limits before you have to replace it, because you're gonna have to replace it. But when you replace it, replace it with something better.

I'm not the right person to ask about what constitutes a better stone. Here's about all I know: If you get a stone from a cook store (like the ones at outlet malls), it's gonna break. Old Stone Oven and American Metalcraft offer good stones, but I'm not sure if they offer anything bigger than 15.75", which is what I have. These stones don't break, plus they hold more thermal mass than the cheaper stones.

You shouldn't have to limit your baking temperature to 450 just to protect your stone. I've put my stones in my grill many times, at temperatures that are surely well over 700 degrees. Before I knew better, I also did this with at least a few cheap stones. Those stones are in many pieces now, and they are also long gone.

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »
Yeah, if you plan on baking most of the pizzas here that are baked directly on a stone, as prescribed, you may as well start mentally planning on getting a proper stone.

You will eventually need one. The Old Stone Oven make as suggested, at a minimum. You will probably want one that is a little thicker though, at least.
Dwight

Offline Kale dog

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
i think i'll return my stone and buy unglazed quarry tiles from home depot they're 1/2 inch thick and only $2.82 for 6x6 inch tile
*Sigh*

Offline Kale dog

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
Travertine tile would be nicer since it's one  big piece so i wont have to deal with gaps  ;)
*Sigh*

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »
If you don't get a proper baking stone(or cordierite shelf) go with the unglazed quarry tiles.
Dwight

Offline Kale dog

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »
Lucky me i bought 8 yes 8 11.5 x 11.5 Satillo tiles for 9 bucks! 9 BUCKS!
I washed them when i got home and...
well i decided to fit them in the oven and behold i need to cut an inch off >:(
*Sigh*