Author Topic: Something different - Potato crust pizza  (Read 2976 times)

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Something different - Potato crust pizza
« on: March 20, 2006, 02:49:31 PM »
Here is a pizza style my girlfriend (now wife) and I made in the mid 90's.  We liked the recipe because if differed from our usual pizza and it used up loads of plum tomatoes from our garden.

I am transposing this directly from Classic Italian Cooking for the Vegetarian Gourmet, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0442281919/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Please ignore typos

Potato Pizza with Oregano

The simple mashed potato crust of this pizza replaces the standard but time-consuming yeast dough.  Use eastern baking potatoes or Idaho potatoes, and avoid new and red potatoes because they do not mash well.

Dough:
2 pounds mealy baking potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Topping:
1/3 cup olive oil
8 ounces mozzarella, grated
3 pounds ripe tomatoes, preferably plum, peeled and sliced 1/3-inch thick
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
1 cup grated parmesan
12 black olives, thinly sliced into rounds
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained

Wash the potatoes and boil them in salted water until tender, about 40 minutes; drain.  To dry the potatoes, return them to the pot over medium heat for 5 minutes, shaking the pan frequently.  Allow the potatoes to cool slightly, then peel.  Mash them with 2 tablespoons olive oil, the salt, and pepper, using a potato masher, ricer, or sieve.

Preheat the oven to 425 F. Brush 16Ē pizza pan with olive oil (reserving 1/4 cup).  Spread the mashed potatoes in an even layer making a slight ridge around the edge.  Sprinkle an even layer of mozzarella over the potatoes and top with sliced tomatoes.  Season with salt, pepper, and oregano.  Sprinkle with the parmesan and top with olives and capers.  Drizzle lightly with the 1/4 cup of olive oil and bake for 30 minutes, until crust begins to brown at the edges.  Serve hot, slicing as you would a pizza.

I donít remember putting on the olive oil at the end and we never peeled or seeded the tomatoes.  It was enough to pick and slice 3 pounds of tomatoes.

This comes out kind of like a casserole, but is definitely reminiscent of a pizza.

I used to make classic dough pizza with sliced tomatoes (450 F bake), but there was always a liquid issue.  Has anyone else every had success with fresh tomatoes on a pizza (any style)?

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Something different - Potato crust pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »
I assume you can't pick this one up in your hand!  Sounds like a casserole without the dish, but it sounds good!

Bill

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:40:38 PM »
It is strange, because it is like a very thin casserole and sometimes the crust can be really crispy, almost like a potato pancake.  I may try this again this summer on my Big Green Egg with garden fresh plum tomatoes.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:19:08 PM »
Sounds yummy!

pizzapan