Author Topic: Denver Mini Crawl  (Read 1014 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Denver Mini Crawl
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
Had the opportunity to spend a few days in Denver and made it to Marcos Coal Fired, Locale Boulder and the new Quick Serve Locale in Denver
Starting with Marcos.
They have 2 Beautiful Acunto ovens 1 runs coal for cooking appys and entrees and the  the other wood for some very impressive  Neapolitan Pizza !
Set up By Roberto Caporuscio Keste/Starita there are pictures of them all together in the back room.
Pizza was great had a Margherita and a Pistachio Pesto and Sausage 70 second bake
a wonderful lunch !
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Denver Mini Crawl
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
on to Locale Boulder Location.  Place was packed !  great set up flows nice and simple menu keeps things moving  I would like a little more heat/ flame  but the taste here was excellent  The Mais  a signature pie with roasted corn, ham, and Creme fraiche was delightful, The second was a margherita where the oven guy took off and the stretcher cooked it. well tried to cook it . to me under done. The original oven man handled 5-6 at a pop no problem I watched how he placed them in each time and the ensuing pizza dance.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
The Slightly undercooked Margherita  ??? but hey I am picky  ;)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »
and on to Locale quick serve only opened recently. Great visit here as well as it was slow and I approached the manager with my normal million questions. He was great we chatted it up he took me into the dough room which is also open and visible to the public. Got the recipe, dough weights,  fermentation times,,, never know until you ask  ;D This gas Neapolitan looking oven is amazing once around and done 90 seconds ! the entire inside ring rotates around the center flame and finishes with a pass by flames on the outside ring as well very very slick ! gas but slick. He let me behind counter there also to get a few shots and check it out . If you continue to load the floor every go round , sensors adjust to keep bottom heat constant ! Pizza was very good no where near the boulder location but the fact they use Room temp. fermentation. 100% Caputo and get this -  A natural starter they feed 3 X a day ! no yeast !  very traditional and very good . pies start at $5.75 but quickly climb to the $10-12. this was a  great stop as I am fascinated by this concept for $$ profit not my dream artisan shop but very cool !
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:39:40 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »
the oven ( ring of fire ) and dough room (no fridge here !)
pete tip me over please ! 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:46:00 PM by JConk007 »

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 03:34:02 AM »
John,

Excellent reviews.  BUT -- you did a pizza crawl in Denver without even bothering to let me in on it!?   >:(  Next time, send me the invite!  :D

Those Marcos pizzas looked great and I agree, the Locale ones looked a bit under-done.  Nice work on getting the all the pizza info.  Some of those guys appreciate customers who share their passion for pizza and will speak quite freely about it.  Cool that you got the "behind-the-counter" tour. 

--Tim

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
 great pictures john!! interesting that the locale fast serve store was backed by chipolte's. looks like wood fired is the next big thing in high quality fast service.

Offline Peasant

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 01:47:34 AM »
Nice little crawl!  I have a few days in Denver in a few months and should be hitting up the same places.  Were there any other places on your radar that you didn't hit?

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 07:45:07 AM »
Nice review and some great pictures JConk, I have a good friend who's brother lives in Denver, will have to pass this along. I really don't know if my area (Albany,NY) has any crawl worthy destinations, might be more of a "death march"! :(
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

pizzapan