Author Topic: Freezing Sauce from #10 cans  (Read 798 times)

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Freezing Sauce from #10 cans
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:57:04 AM »
Costco has the Nina San Marzanos at $3.99 for a #10 size can (6 lbs 10 oz).  I have made marinara sauce and would like to try them for some pizza sauce (tomatoes, salt, garlic powder and EVOO)

Unfortunately, I just can't use that much pizza sauce before it spoils.

Can I just make a large batch and then freeze it in smaller portions?  Or... Will the freezing change the texture/wateriness of the final product once it's thawed?

To miminimize freezer burn, I can place it FoodSaver vacuum canisters before freezing.

Just looking for tried and true advice.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Freezing Sauce from #10 cans
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
Personally, I think sauce tastes terrible after it has been refrigerated or frozen.  :-X  I'd rather spend $3.99 on tomatoes every time I make pizza than ruin all the work I put into the crust. Not to mention that I spend way more than that on cheese and toppings. I'm not going to degrade them either just to save a buck on sauce.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
That's what I figured. 

Another option would be to heat it up, place it in the vacuum container and stick it in the fridge. Sort of a pseudo-canning.   But that would change the flavor profile slightly.

But since we are making 2-3 pizzas a week, I get by with a regular can of Centso or Muir Woods for $2.99.  But this larger can is equal to about 5 of those for $3.99

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
But this larger can is equal to about 5 of those for $3.99

For me, it's equal to one retail can for $3.99 because I don't need 5. It may look less expensive, but it's really more expensive. You can't always compare cost by the oz when you use by the can. Your unit cost would come down on just about everything if you bought in foodservice packages. Problem is, you don't use foodservice quantities. Heck, imagine how cheap they would be if you bought a whole truckload straight from the packer ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »
I run a mobile wood fired pizza business and freeze canned sauce all the time. I open the can, mix it with the ingredients to make my sauce, then freeze what I don't need. It is used for my business and personal ventures. Not only do I have no complaints, but  have never once had anyone complain about the flavor from customers or friends. Not sure if the brand has any effect, but I use 7/11 ground tomatoes from stanislaus.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »
I also freeze any pizza sauce leftover from market.  My customers and I can't tell the difference in the frozen sauce.  I use Stanislaus Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce w/fresh basil and other added ingredients.  I am also not sure if the brand matters.  Each week when the pizza sauce is defrosted I taste it to make sure it still tastes good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:41:21 PM »
I've been freezing without issue for many years(7-11).....but I think Karl is talking about whole San Marzanos and that might be a whole different deal than tomato "sauce".
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »
Well, I could actually process the whole tomatoes and make a big batch of the final sauce.  Freeze it and thaw as necessary.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
Every time I've ever put tomatoes in the freezer, they've become very watery after thawing. Also, every time I've ever had Nina tomatoes, they were extremely watery from the moment I opened the can.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »
I run a mobile wood fired pizza business and freeze canned sauce all the time. I open the can, mix it with the ingredients to make my sauce, then freeze what I don't need. It is used for my business and personal ventures. Not only do I have no complaints, but  have never once had anyone complain about the flavor from customers or friends.

I'm pretty sure I could make pizza from frozen sauce and nobody would complain, but I would know the difference, and that is more than enough reason for me not to do it.

Give it a try. If it doesn't bother you, why not.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
Qarl,

After reading you first post it seems you want to freeze Nina San Marznos.  I never had much luck freezing any San Marzanos that came in a can, Red Pack tomatoes, or some other tomato sauces.

Sorry I mentioned about freezing the other sauce I posted about.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!