Author Topic: Cost of Making Pizza  (Read 335 times)

Offline Locker Room

• I Love Pizza!
Cost of Making Pizza
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:42:32 PM »
Hello everyone! I am here to learn more about the Pizza World. I just opened a sports bar and we own a belt driven pizza oven. I have been buying ready to put the ingredients rolled out dough for about $1.25. Cheese has been running at 2.50 per pound and it takes about 10 ounces for 16" pizza. So cost would be around $2.80, plus the sauce so about $3.25.  I have read other post that it cost about $2.00 to make a cheese pizza. Is it costing me too much to make a Pizza?   

Offline tombiasi

Re: Cost of Making Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:13:01 PM »
Welcome,
I'm sure you realize there's more to the cost of a pizza than just the ingredients.

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »
I was the one that mentioned $2 for the ingredients for 1 cheese pizza.  While $2 is still technically possible, I think it might be a bit dated, and clock in closer to $2.10 or maybe even $2.20. Still, it's less than what you're paying.

I have been buying ready to put the ingredients rolled out dough for about $1.25

There's your problem. Dough for a 16" NY style pizza should only cost about 30 cents, if made by hand. Wholesale cheese, by the case, should be as low as $2/lb.  What brand cheese are you using? It could be time to source another brand from a different distributor. 10 oz. of $2/lb cheese is $1.25.  That leaves .45 for sauce.  I haven't priced tomato magic or 6in1s lately, but, the bulk size should bring you in around .45. Even if you can't find mozzarella for $2 and it's closer to $2.25, that's still $2.15 for a pizza.

Homemade dough is more labor, but the end result is far superior and you'd be spending 1/4rd the price in raw materials.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:02:54 PM by scott123 »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
Scott
Youre pretty much right there for the cost of a cheese pizza, and thats using top ingredients.

pizzapan