Author Topic: No bromate!  (Read 2001 times)

Offline SurlyBastage

• I Love Pizza!
Re: No bromate!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »
Glad I can help.

I will take the man hug, and any local cheese/pepperoni resources you are hiding in your pockets.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
any local cheese/pepperoni resources you are hiding in your pockets.
Sure...just tried Sam's club Frigo lmps cheese yesterday and it is better than any local grocery store cheese and I have tried them all over many years. It is lmps though...perfect for my Chi-town thins.
I have a Penn Mac order up on que but it is so hard to press the "order now" button when they tack on additional 35% for shipping....60 dollars of food becomes a hundred bucks and that really pisses Bob off. Do you have a deep freezer...I have a big one and a couple offers/connections with out of state members who can get "the goods". Think it over and get back to me...gonna put Penn on hold for a couple days; there's got to be a better way.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »
Thanks again Norma....I wish I knew how you are able to come up with all these links you always give to everyone;and so fast too!
Yes, I want to get this thing rolling...I have fired the BS up twice now so far though, to cook steaks. Man, that thing is a BEAST ain't it Norma? I would have liked to see your face the first time you dialed it up into afterburner.... :o  I'll bet you thought it was going to take off over the yard!  :chef:

btw, I can send ya a couple lbs. of KASL any time...just say the word.  :)

Bob,

The way I usually come up with the links is I remember somewhat about what was posted in the years I was a member on the forum.  I usually do an advanced search using a members name that might have done something or used something that I thought was good. 

Good you want to get your BS rocking and rolling.  8) I agree the BS is a beast.  I loved the jet engine roar of the burner the first time I fired it up and still do.   >:D

You can try any flour that members think you should for a NY style pizza.  I just wanted to add something about KASL though.  I recall when Steve and I went to Pizza Brain and saw Paulie Gee there.  We all did agreed that Pizza Brain's NY style of pizza was something special.  You might be surprised but there was a dumpster running over with KASL empty bags.  I don't know what Pizza Brain uses now but would think they did use KASL then.

Thanks for the offer of KASL. 

Norma   
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »
   You might be surprised but there was a dumpster running over with KASL empty bags.  I don't know what Pizza Brain uses now but would think they did use KASL then.

Those Pizza Brain guys are such jokesters I wouldn't be surprised if they got those empty bags from some other pizzeria and "planted" them around their own dumpster...Hahaa!  >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mschvarcz

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 01:02:10 AM »
Scott,

There is a Bakery name Alteriís Bakery in Watertown, NY that has been making wonderful Italian bread for years.

The Flour they use is the following.

General Mills Full Strength Flour, Bleached/ Bromated/ Enriched/ Malted 50 lb [53381000]

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
1.Color - Clean, creamy white, free of excessive bran specks.
2. The product shall be free of rancid, bitter, musty or other undesirable flavors or odors.
3. The product shall be as free of all types of foreign material as can be achieved through GMPs.
4. Falling Number - 220 - 260 sec.

INGREDIENT LEGEND
BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, POTASSIUM BROMATE, THIAMIN
MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID.

CHEMICAL COMPOSITION (14.0% Moisture basis)
Moisture 14.0%
Maximum Protein 12.6% +/- 0.2%
Ash 0.55% +/- 0.05%

Which of the following flours would produce better flavor and texture for pizza crust for true NY Pizza?

A. Full Strength Flour, Bleached/ Bromated/ Enriched/ Malted.

B. All-purpose Unbleached which Peter Reinhart Recommends in his book(AP).

I would just like to understand the distinctions between the two.

Thank you,
Micky

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 02:55:16 AM »
@mschvarcz

on another subject, does Alteri's make a huge cinnamon coffee roll covered in glaze? There's a bakery in Watertown, NY that used to deliver the above to a little convenience store that I pass by in my travels. They stopped carrying the rolls last year, I know they came from a bakery in Watertown, was wondering if it might possibly be Alteri's. I would go out of my way to grab a bag full of those delicious goodies! :drool:

Offline mschvarcz

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
@dmcavanagh

I have not had the cinnamon coffee rolls, but you could email them at kellie@alteribakery.com.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
@mschvarcz

thanks for the heads up!

Offline SurlyBastage

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 09:13:14 AM »
Do you have a deep freezer...I have a big one and a couple offers/connections with out of state members who can get "the goods". Think it over and get back to me

Thanks, but I do not have a deep freezer. 

pizzapan