Author Topic: Sourdough or Poolish - what do I have?  (Read 349 times)

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
Sourdough or Poolish - what do I have?
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »
I have tended to what I believe is a 'home grown' sourdough stranger. It doubles (when provided temps over 70. Frankly, after switching to a hard winter wheat flour, it will double at 60. It hash sour taste; it has a creamy taste & texture.  I always thought I had a local sourdough. However, after watching the sfspanky contributions And associated videos... I think I'm way off: thoughts?
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Sourdough or Poolish - what do I have?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:23:11 AM »
Donjo911,

Technically, a poolish uses equal weights of flour and water and commercial yeast. However, you can also use equal weights of flour and water with wild yeast and end up with a starter that has the same consistency (same hydration value) as a poolish made with commercial yeast. Some people refer to the natural yeast version as a natural preferment or a natural poolish to distinguish that version from a poolish made with commercial yeast. However, the fact that the hydration values of a natural poolish and a commercial one are the same does not mean that they are interchangeable in recipes or used in the same way in recipes. Moreover, sourdough starters often do not use equal weights of flour and water and, as such, are not a poolish by any definition.

Peter

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
Re: Sourdough or Poolish - what do I have?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »
Peter,

Thank you for your reply.  You've made what I have clear.  I looks like special attention will need to be given to the vagaries of these term as I read and attempt each new dough recipes.  Thanks again!

Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

pizzapan