Author Topic: Cooking on a BBQ  (Read 750 times)

Offline gnatto

• I Love Pizza!
Cooking on a BBQ
« on: December 20, 2013, 05:39:41 AM »
Tomorrow night I'm going to be cooking some pizzas for some friends, but I'm going to have to use a Weber BBQ to do it. I've got it down to an art in my home oven, but this will be my first time attempting in on a BBQ.

The kind of BBQ will be Weber® Family Q™ Q320 (http://www.webernz.co.nz/ProductPage.php?pc=k586024)

I'm hoping some people will have some tips and tricks about cooking in this method.

Weber recommends, when cooking pizzas, to line a sheet of tin foil on the grill and then a rack above that and then place the pizza stone on top of that, and preheat it for 20 minutes.

At this point I'm planning on following that procedure except I'll probably preheat for something more like 45 minutes.

I will be using glutenboys recipe after 6 days in the fridge.

Has anyone cooked much on a BBQ or even this specific model? Any tips would be appreciated since I won't have time to experiment.

Thanks.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Cooking on a BBQ
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:46:04 AM »
What I have to say is specifically for gas grills, as I have baked many dozens (or hundreds) of NY style pizzas in gas grills. Although it appears to me that your grill is a charcoal grill, my information might still be helpful. (I don't know, though, because I've never baked in a charcoal grill.)
  • If the stone gets too hot and burns the bottom of your crust before the top of the pizza is done (which happens every time in unmodified gas grills), line the bottom of your stone with aluminum foil. Weber's recommendations, as mentioned in your post, may accomplish the same goal, but I'm not sure.
  • Try not to open the lid while baking, to keep from losing all your top heat, because you'll probably never get as much top heat as you'd like.
  • Try to figure out how long it takes to bake a pizza without opening the lid, and set a timer every time you bake a pizza once you figure out the typical bake time. For me this is about 4 minutes, but it may be a little less than 4 minutes if the grill is hotter than usual.
The last two things I mentioned take some trial and error to figure out. So maybe start by setting a timer for 3 minutes, then give the pizza a look after the alarm sounds. If that doesn't do it, then try 4 minutes the next time. If that's not enough time, try 5 minutes.

My tips are for pizzas that you peel onto the stone. If you use a screen or a pan, that changes everything.

Also, with the last couple pizzas I baked in the grill, I've come to prefer a 5-minute bake at a slightly lower temperature. I can't tell you the exact temperature because I don't have an IR thermometer and because the lid thermometer reading is clearly not representative of the stone temperature or the temperature around the stone.

Hope that helps.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 11:42:37 AM »
I would only put the foil in the space directly under the stone. I think you want hot air to be able to come up from the sides. Cooking in a BBQ can be a heat balance nightmare. It takes tons of experimenting to get things just right. Here is how I did it: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9614.0

Your biggest problem is likely to be insufficient top heat. I think if you cover the entire grill with foil, you will amplify the problem. The foil under the stone with an air gap like they suggest will probably help a lot.

Ryan is 100% right about the lid. If you peek, peek through a tiny crack and do it fast.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
I'll second everything Craig said. But rather than just setting the stone on foil, I like to line the bottom and sides of the stone with foil and press the foil tightly so it takes the shape of the stone. I never have to rotate my grilled pizzas, and I'm pretty sure it's mostly because I put foil all around the sides of the stone like this. Before I started doing this, I had to rotate quite a bit. Not having to rotate pizza in a grill is huge because it means you don't have to open the lid and let out all your top heat.

Also, try to peel the pizza onto the stone as fast as possible, because you will lose a lot of precious top heat when you launch the pizza, regardless of how efficiently you do it. Losing top heat right from the start sucks, but it's just something you have to deal with when baking in a grill.

Online jkb

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:55 AM »
You have no access to an oven at all?  Top heat is a real problem.  I grill both sides of the skin right on the grill grate until they begin to char.  Then I top it and put it under the broiler in the oven to finish.

pizzapan