Author Topic: Mobile WFO in winter question  (Read 842 times)

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Mobile WFO in winter question
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »
I'm wondering what all the mobile WFO people do if they get a request to do a gig in the winter. I live in Ohio where winter can be somewhat of a challenge, and have been asked to do a gig late january. I told them that barring my oven being unable to move, I'm in. But then if we get two feet of snow the night before and I can't move my oven, they're left without food for the event.

Thoughts?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Re: Mobile WFO in winter question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »
Being an northern OH guy, I am used to the erratic winters.  Likely get a 4x4 to move your trailer, then you won't be the cause of a contract dispute. 

Wondering if you have tried your outdoor oven during this weeks cold snap to the low teens, and what you might have noticed in baking with low outdoor temperatures.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:34:29 PM »
I've definitely cooked in the cold of winter. Changes the heat-up time for sure, but is functional. I've got a 4WD subaru that should get me out and around in most weather, but it may be wise to get something a little more capable if I intend to actively pursue winter pizza gigs. Something to keep in mind. Thanks!

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »
I don't have a depth of experience but a few days ago I did a dough with 70% hydration and it worked pretty good.   I usually go 65 in summer.   

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
by far the hardest part of the equation is keeping the dough warm ! under over , in car .... but nothing worse than stretcing a dough that been hangin around even 15 minutes in 20 dergrees. Its blood money ! Everytime I do one I say " i will never do this again " and sure enough off I go again !  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »
 i did a few jobs over the last three weeks. we secure their garage, ask them to heat it, if that is not possibly i bring my own. i also let the customer know we need to use their house for dough. when i transport the dough i keep the containers in a cambro that has a heat plate in the bottom. winter jobs are not a lot of fun to set up. but, the customer seems to love the idea of a roaring fire, hot pizza,and cold weather. all three jobs were very happy with their event.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »
Nice! Thanks guys.

Offline JoeG

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »
We try to stretch, build and top inside then run out to fire. We also made a snorkel pipe for the oven so we can tent and sudo heat it. It aont perfect but it works.
I love making WF pizza! http://www.rivercitywoodfire.com

pizzapan