Author Topic: mortar getting into pizza - suggestions to remedy?  (Read 397 times)

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
mortar getting into pizza - suggestions to remedy?
« on: December 20, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »
Hi all,  quick question as a non WFO guy.

I dined at a new local WFO place last night.  The pizza was very good (I've had better, but I'm glad that finally a local joint is doing neapolitan style) - so I'd like to support them with a positive review - I can see that some reviews of this place have been a bit negative, mostly due of the evident lack of exposure of many locals to anything but typical chain pizza.   I'd like to balance that with a good review... I'll get to that in a bit.

My wife and I ordered a pizza each (of which I ate 1.5 pizzas  ;)) - and towards the end of my margarita I had a speck of mortar or brick in a mouthful.  It was luckily not big, but had that unmistakable grind to it.  When my wife was full, I made my way through the remainder of her slices and hit another grain of mortar/brick.  Again a tiny speck, but definitely there.  Given this happened in both pies, my guess is that this happens frequently.  I've seen a review where someone else mentioned it too.

So what to do...   a few questions:
  • how bad is this - I'm inclined to think that this is very bad form for a restaurant, or is it "just what happens with a WFO"?   if that's the case I'd like to know
  • WFO owners and builders - is this normal behaviour for a new oven build, and will it just resolve itself with time? or...
  • is there any possible remedy you can think of that I could suggest to the restaurant (offline - I would't do this in a public forum)

What I'm inclined to do is to privately contact the restaurant to make a point of the mortar issue, and ideally make some constructive suggestions for how to resolve it, prior to making any kind of public review.  As much as I'd love to give them five stars just to support local Neapolitan pizza (which does need support!) - I can't really do that if the mortar issue goes unresolved.

Any thoughts on the matter most welcome. 

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:28:00 PM by dylandylan »

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: mortar getting into pizza - suggestions to remedy?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:00:24 PM »
I have never found a speck of mortar or brick in mine or even heard of anyone who has.  My guess would be a cast oven that is disintegrating or possibly the floor tiles need to be replaced.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: mortar getting into pizza - suggestions to remedy?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
If it's a brick oven, my guess is that it is a bit of mortar/sand-form that was clinging to the top of the dome. I had lots of bits up there in my oven when I got it. A quick rub with your copper brush, and it will all come right off.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.