Author Topic: Escalon!  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Escalon!
« on: March 21, 2006, 05:28:31 PM »
There are some changes in the works at Escalon, that would affect most of our Escalon users in a negative way. And unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to share. So, in the mean-time I'm working my butt off to do what I can.

I'm also trying to get word out, to please mention "pizzamaking.com" when communicating/ordering from Escalon. They recognize our members differently than if you say that you are an average consummer. It will also be helpful to ward-off the negative changes I mentioned.

Thanks for everyone's help!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Escalon!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 08:17:43 PM »
Tonight I sent a note of appreciation to Escalon, using the Contact tab at the escalon.net website. In my note I also noted the reduction in the number of products offered at the site. As suggested by Lydia, I mentioned my membership in pizzamaking.com. Within minutes of my message, I received the following response (in italics) from Dan Milazzo, a senior brand manager at Escalon:

Thank you for taking the time to write - the kind words are appreciated.  As you note, we have whittled away at our overall retail pack offerings, but we will definitely continue offering our 6 IN 1 Ground Tomatoes and Bella Rossa Tuscan Tomato & Herb Pasta Sauce.  Long-term, we actually plan to expand our retail lineup...We are in the process of evaluating which products to introduce and when.  Probably not this coming harvest/pack season, but possibly 2007.

Again, no worries on the 6 IN 1 and Tuscan.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 09:27:50 PM »
 :o

Wooo HOooo!

YEEEEESSSS!

That's very good news  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Thanks Peter!!!!

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline petesopizza

• In search of the perfect dough.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:55:44 PM »
Has anyone used their (escalon) sauce recipes? If so how was the result?  :pizza:

*Sorry this probably should have been posted in the sauce section
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:10:39 PM by petesopizza »
Someday I will make money from this obsession.

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 11:26:55 AM »
I'm in the process of switching from Stanislaus over to Escalon Christina Organic products for my pizza and their other tomato products for the general kitchen at Nizza. I recently did a side by side with Tomato Magic and was blown away by the Christina on my pizza.

I love the natural tomato sweetness and bright tomato flavor of the product. I love the fact that they have no citric acid--this makes a big difference in their flavor and texture. I've been auditioning organic tomato products for quite some time and they are usually pretty insipid, but the Christina brand is awesome.

Evelyne

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 10:53:21 AM »
I have posted several times regarding the 6-in-1 brand and my experience with Escalon. When 6-in-1 was no longer available locally I contacted Stanislaus and have since ordered a case of Full Red #10 cans.

I received an e-mail from Escalon today stating that there are two full cases of 6-in-1 28oz cans waiting for me at my local grocery store.

Thats a whole bunch of sauce for the average home baker. It will be interesting to compare the two brands as they are both well respected within this forum.
If I spent this much time researching my investments I would be retired by now.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 08:03:06 PM »
anthony, I am not sure it will be a fair comparison.  The stanislaus product you would want to shoot out with 6 in 1's is the tomato magic.

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 09:10:33 PM »
The Stanislaus products have not arrived but I can't wait. I did receive the 6-in-1 so I am certainly ready for the shootout when the Full Red gets here!

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 11:33:19 PM »
The Stanislaus came today! I have to say this is a great product. The sauce has an incredibly fresh taste and is very thick. I made a couple of pies this evening to test the 6-in-1 against the full red. I just added a little oregano and basil to each. It's like comparing apples and fire trucks... they are such different products all together. Comparing the two is kinda like saying which of your kids you like best, you like them equally but for different reasons.

I bought a pound of the Penzeys pizza seasoning and am looking forward to seeing how each of the sauces taste when blended. Should be a fattening weekend.

Sorry for the staged looking photo. I actually just set the cans up on the counter to be out of the way. When my wife saw the labesl face out she just  sighed and shook her head.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 08:15:05 AM »
When my wife saw the labesl face out she just  sighed and shook her head.

LOL!  Your's too?  My wife keeps threatening to take all my canned tomato products to the local food bank...
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 09:09:05 AM »
How thick is the Stanislaus sauce, is it pastey or just thick? There's a pizzeria in Gatlinburg that uses Stanislaus 7/11 tomatoes and their pizza was top-notch. I particularly remember their sauce being outstanding.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 10:26:16 AM »
LOL!  Your's too?  My wife keeps threatening to take all my canned tomato products to the local food bank...

I'm sure it's endemic.  My wife shakes her head when I bring home more pizza related stuff, either food or hardware.  Fortunately the entire family loves the pizza, so I can get away with it easier than I can with car parts. <blush>

Jack

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 12:10:51 PM »
The Stanislaus is thick. It's basically a tomato paste with a slight hint of basil. I have used the 7/11 tomatoes and so far they have been my favorite with the 6-in-1 coming in a close second.

I will take another picture of sauce out of the can so you can get an idea of the consistency. My wife will love seeing me head to the kitchen with a camera again.

I have to say it's a bit comforting to know that I'm not the only one who gets this involved in the art of pizza making.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 03:04:02 PM »
I've been tempted to take a picture of my pantry. It looks like a staged advertisement for Escalon products.

I too am anal about the logo's facing forward.... I get the eye rolling from Steve and my son  ::)

my excuse is; I don't want to mistake one product for the other.  ;)

It took a while, but I eventually earned full support from Steve. Once he saw for himself that this wasn't a "fling" but a "true passion" for me. (I really thought than an explanation that I've been doing this since I was 12 would have been sufficient.) He has fully come to understand that buying 45- 50 lbs of various flours, and cases of various tomatoes isn't over-kill. I use the products in many different ways, so that the pizza products aren't killing the food budget. Also, I make certain that what I'm buying in bulk is cost efficient.

He appreciates it right down the the very last delectable bite.

Also the camera thing. In our house the camera is stored in the kitchen along with a variety of cooking journals (Pizza being one of the largest.) They've become accustom to the photo shoots before the anyone can eat. If they're really hungry, they help out with the set up etc.

I seriously wonder how much perfectionism is required to make excellent pizza?

I know....50% passion 50% perfectionism   ;D

Happy National Pizza Month Everyone!!!!

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 03:26:39 PM »
Kidder,

What size are the full red cans - they look smaller

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 03:49:24 PM »
Kidder,

What size are the full red cans - they look smaller

I think you wanted to ask this question to anthony2173.

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 04:47:56 PM »
They are number 10 cans... 6 pounds 11 ounces each.

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 05:59:46 PM »
I think you wanted to ask this question to anthony2173.

You are correct - thanks :-[ :-[ :-[

Also to anthony2173 - thanks for the reply

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 09:12:58 AM »
The Stanislaus came today! I have to say this is a great product. The sauce has an incredibly fresh taste and is very thick. I made a couple of pies this evening to test the 6-in-1 against the full red. I just added a little oregano and basil to each. It's like comparing apples and fire trucks... they are such different products all together. Comparing the two is kinda like saying which of your kids you like best, you like them equally but for different reasons.

I bought a pound of the Penzeys pizza seasoning and am looking forward to seeing how each of the sauces taste when blended. Should be a fattening weekend.

Sorry for the staged looking photo. I actually just set the cans up on the counter to be out of the way. When my wife saw the labesl face out she just  sighed and shook her head.

I thought I'd add my selection to the pile of photos. I'm trying to start a pizza operation at our curling club, and I've been "auditioning" tomato, cheese, topping products. The labels on the table are the ones tried so far! I've had Escalon, Stanislaus, Grande reps by, and had Fontanini and Burke send toppings to sample. Also bought some Carando sausage (rabbit pellets) at Cirelli.

So far: the Escalon rep. warned me that in comparative tastings you have to try their product first, otherwise any citric acid in competitor's products will could the taste comparisons. I had the kitchen committee over for 8 pies a few weeks ago. They picked the Stanislaus Full Red Fully Prepared as their favorite of the five, my choice was  the Stanislaus Pizzaiolo fully prepared, it had that occasional magical tomato brightness I've been trying to find since I was a kid.. Grande 50/50 Mozz/Prov won out on cheese, over their 100% part skim mozz., and the cheddar mix.

I made the mistake of trying two other tomato products by pre-preparing the spice mix I've used in the past with supermarket tomatoes, and adding this mix a day before using the sauce. Those were rejected as being "too sweet" by the committee. These pro level tomatoes are so naturally sweet that any added sugar (I did cut it in half) was too much! So I'll have to start over in creating a spice profile for tasting the regular "pizza sauce" products (those products labelled pizza sauce don't have spices yet). Those are  the Bonta, and Super Dolce. I think I may just go with the Penzeys pizza seasoning for now, with added Penzey's Turkish oregano, red wine, & olive oil.

3 down, 18 more to go.

Is this Heaven or is this Hell.......? ;D

-Al

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 09:33:40 AM »
I don't see any Cento in your photo,so I sugest you track them down as they are very worthy IMO,
                                                                                               David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

pizzapan