Author Topic: Escalon!  (Read 6240 times)

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
Re: Escalon!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 09:40:31 AM »
I don't see any Cento in your photo,so I sugest you track them down as they are very worthy IMO,
                                                                                               David

I tried the Cento crushed a few weeks back, and decided they didn't compare favorably. Thin, weak IMO.

Maybe I got an old can......? I do have a few cans of their paste left to try, though. There's just too much stuff, so I've been having to freeze it. Used up all my quart canning jars, & my upright freezer is jammed. Freezing & thawing makes a lot of stuff watery, so maybe the Cento will work for re-thickening (but I've got the Bonta extra heavy for that).

- Al

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 10:12:07 AM »
I've tried that pizza sauce in the small can in your photo and was very disappointed in that. I found it VERY pastey and was just not that great. Unfortunately the Kroger's up here only has that sauce, Contandina, and the cheap Kroger brand pizza sauce. This is why I make my own nowadays. I used to use Contandina pizza sauce exclusively until I discovered canned whole peeled tomatoes.

Nice collection.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 10:20:43 AM »
I've tried that pizza sauce in the small can in your photo and was very disappointed in that. I found it VERY pastey and was just not that great. Unfortunately the Kroger's up here only has that sauce, Contandina, and the cheap Kroger brand pizza sauce. This is why I make my own nowadays. I used to use Contandina pizza sauce exclusively until I discovered canned whole peeled tomatoes.

Nice collection.

That would be the Pastorelli Italian Chef sauce? Available in the midwest. I've heard but not confirmed that Jewel/Osco carries it in the Chicago area as well.

That's there because I have a childhood fondness for the sauce that came with the Chef Boyardee boxed pizza kits, and I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff! I sometimes use it for a reference sauce in experiments because I've had it around for so many years and am familiar with the taste. It's OK if I need to whip out a pie in 40 minutes from start, and have no time to make sauce. They also sell it in #10 cans, but I don't use that volume of it.

- Al

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 11:55:39 AM »
Pizziod,  I don't think you could ever understand what a thing of beauty this is to me.

I am here at home weeping with joy.
HAHA.   

Happy to not be the only shootout freak around here.  I can't wait to try out your pick of the cheeses the grande 50/50 prov mix.  I am a little surprised that the stanislaus beat out the  Bonta.  Which bonta did you shoot out?

I love the hidden face.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 12:01:05 PM »
That would be the Pastorelli Italian Chef sauce? Available in the midwest. I've heard but not confirmed that Jewel/Osco carries it in the Chicago area as well.

That's there because I have a childhood fondness for the sauce that came with the Chef Boyardee boxed pizza kits, and I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff! I sometimes use it for a reference sauce in experiments because I've had it around for so many years and am familiar with the taste. It's OK if I need to whip out a pie in 40 minutes from start, and have no time to make sauce. They also sell it in #10 cans, but I don't use that volume of it.

- Al

Hmm, I don't think they are the same. As a kid I loved the Chef Boyardee sauce and it was a lot thinner than the Pastorelli. I'm almost afraid to say it but I still like the Boyardee kits. I pretty much grew up on them so that's why I like making them once a year or so. But I do think they are different sauces. As I recall the Pastorelli is labeled a 'gourmet' pizza sauce.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 12:04:29 PM »
Pizziod,  I don't think you could ever understand what a thing of beauty this is to me.

I am here at home weeping with joy.
HAHA.   

Happy to not be the only shootout freak around here.  I can't wait to try out your pick of the cheeses the grande 50/50 prov mix.  I am a little surprised that the stanislaus beat out the  Bonta.  Which bonta did you shoot out?

I love the hidden face.

I think that was the Bonta Pizza Sauce with Basil. Unfair, because it was my too-sweet spicing of the product that led to it not being appreciated, so it will be returning to the appraisal line-up. I think I still have 2 individual quarts of it in the freezer. (From the photo it looks like I have a full second can, as well. I have to check them when I get home.)

- Al

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 12:37:53 PM »
It looks like they gave you three cans, and they do make three versions of varying viscosity.  Maybe they gave you one of each?  In general I tend to prefer the sauce that is closest to the consistency that I would ultimately like for my pizza.

Beware of frozen tomatoes.  I can never seem to get the same flavor or texture after a freeze.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 12:50:18 PM »
It looks like they gave you three cans, and they do make three versions of varying viscosity.  Maybe they gave you one of each?  In general I tend to prefer the sauce that is closest to the consistency that I would ultimately like for my pizza.

Beware of frozen tomatoes.  I can never seem to get the same flavor or texture after a freeze.
I definitely got three cans of Bonta, or purchased one afterwards, but the only Escalon I remember finding on my cash & carry searching was the 6 in 1's.
One is the Bonta 1.09 Xtra Heavy Puree.

I've read or heard that after the freeze (or even getting refrigerated) there are specific starches that crystallize and don't come back on a thaw. Maybe from Alton Brown?

But I can't eat five #10 cans of tomato in a week, no matter how hard I try! And part of my testing is to see how well some of these products handle freezing. Freezing is preferable to recanning. If they'd just make them in 28 oz. cans for small operations (and home use)..........

BTW, the La Regina San Marzano's in the green can were so crappy in comparison that I discarded the rest of the can, and am giving the remaining three I have to the local food pantry. I've had them almost a year, so it makes me wonder how old they were when I got them.

- Al

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 02:07:27 AM »
Again, all I can say is it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one obsessed with creating the perfect pizza.

I received my delivery from Penzeys on Monday and what a HUGE difference that pizza spice makes. It kinda makes me mad that I spent 6 months trying to create the right spice mix for my sauce when I just could have had it delivered for 18 bucks.
If I spent this much time researching my investments I would be retired by now.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 07:32:22 PM »
I have posted several times regarding the 6-in-1 brand and my experience with Escalon. When 6-in-1 was no longer available locally I contacted Stanislaus and have since ordered a case of Full Red #10 cans.

I received an e-mail from Escalon today stating that there are two full cases of 6-in-1 28oz cans waiting for me at my local grocery store.

Thats a whole bunch of sauce for the average home baker. It will be interesting to compare the two brands as they are both well respected within this forum.

question...  how / where did you order the Full Red?  From Escalon's website?  How does this tie in with your grocery store...

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 09:54:04 PM »
abc  full red is actually a stanislaus product.  Unfortunately then don't have a website to order from directly like Escalon does.

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 10:24:51 PM »
No tie in to the Grocery store but it just so happened that fortune smiled on me and a lot of great sauce fell in my lap all at one time.

I called Stanislaus and spoke to a very nice customer service rep who point me in the direction of Sciabica. You can order cases of any Stanislaus product through Sciabica at 1-800-551-9612.

The Full red is not on their web site but if you call they will ship.

http://www.sciabica.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/home.html

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 10:38:01 PM »

Offline anthony2173

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 02:37:19 AM »
anthony, check out this link.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2396.0.html

There is no reason to do any leg work of your own with this site. I'm just going to start using the search function prior to making any calls for suppliers. Between this link and the one for Penn Mac I could have saved hours spent on google searches and phone calls.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 10:05:24 AM »
anthony,

Using the search feature is a very good idea. Even when I am not sure that something is on the forum or I can't recall it, I do a search anyway before doing a Google search or anything else. You'd be surprised at how much has been covered on the forum.

I am a big fan of using the Advanced search feature, which I use several times a day to locate things. I gave some tips on how to use that feature at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3101.msg26282.html#msg26282. If that doesn't produce an answer, then it is safe to ask since a member may remember where the matter was covered even if the search didn't provide the answer.

Peter