Author Topic: Pizza Stones on Gas Oven Floor--slots--this OK?  (Read 768 times)

Offline matermark

Pizza Stones on Gas Oven Floor--slots--this OK?
« on: December 20, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »
I have a Frigidaire gas range/oven with Convection feature and the oven floor has some slots on each end, in about 6 inches from the ends I think, and have my stone (~14x15" rectangular) directly on the floor. The oven I used to have had the broiler in the bottom and the heating burner between the oven & broiler, but this one has a warming drawer that's electronically controlled via the front control panel. So I don't know if these modern gas ranges only have the burner on the ceiling or burners elsewhere too? The convection fan is at the rear

My stone is too large to clear all the slots in the oven floor, and I'd like to rotate the stone and add another next to it because I usually make half-sheet pizzas about 13x18", too large for my stone, so I guess my question is would there be any problems doing this? Or would I have to add risers or some type grid to raise the stones up off the oven floor? When I aim my thermometer at the stone I get readings between 550 & 600F or so, and when I aim it at the steel floor that's visible (not covered by the stone, for example, to the left of the stone) I can get readings usually between 600 & 700F or more. I occasionally get a slightly burned section on the bottom along one side, maybe from overhanging a slot.

Does anybody see any problems with this setup or any suggestions on what I'm trying to do? Thanks for any help.

Offline stupidhaiku

Re: Pizza Stones on Gas Oven Floor--slots--this OK?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
Hi Mark,

I've been experimenting with putting my stone on the oven floor the last few bakes as well and am getting some great results.  A lot of the questions certainly depend on your oven, mine has a top broiler and slots for the gas fire at the bottom.  My stone doesn't cover the slots, however.  The only thing I would be worried about is where the fire is getting its oxygen from.  If you cover the slots that's likely robbing a lot of oxygen from the fires so risers might be necessary if they're covered. A simple cooling rack would likely do the job just fine though.   

Only other problem is evenness of heating, but that can probably be ameliorated through the creative use of aluminum foil.  :)
-Mike (one of them, anyway)

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:15:37 AM »
Does anybody see any problems with this setup or any suggestions on what I'm trying to do? Thanks for any help.

Fire triangle

A gas flame requires oxygen to burn- ie, a constant fresh supply of air.  That's what the slots are for. If you cover the slots, you risk the chance of extinguishing the flame. Some ovens have safety features in place to turn off the gas when the burner isn't lit, but some don't.  If the gas flows without burning, that's a very dangerous situation, as it will eventually find a spark and... kaboom.

Offline matermark

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 12:10:48 PM »
Sorry guys, for some reason I didn't get Notified of replies.

Thanks Mike & Scott!

Lately I have been using a parchment type paper (from WEBstaurant) in my 13x18" pans, and I put one of the oven racks directly on the rectangular stone with the pan going onto the rack, and get better browning without any end burning. Before I was putting the pan on the stone, which is on the oven floor...it was a lot of work getting the pizza and paper out [with a 16" metal peel] and then putting it directly on the stone, paper and all. The pizzas are bigger than the stone which is a challenge--sometimes the crust may droop and burn or spill cheese.

Would it be safe enough to put a rack right on the bottom and put 2 rectangular stones, each 13x14, on the rack, making a combined 26" wide by 14" deep stone, using the rack as a spacer? I'll have to measure the stones and inside dimensions of the oven, or maybe the width of the rack. I also have a tile saw if needed.