Author Topic: Incorporating some new techniques  (Read 401 times)

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
Incorporating some new techniques
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:50:05 AM »
I got a fairly good shot of my latest pizza, so I thought Id make a post.  The dough is 20% refined flour, including some VWG.  Hydration is 81%.  The whole wheat is home-milled hard white winter wheat.  I think winter wheat tastes a little better than spring wheat.  I used some techniques mentioned in prior discussions this year, including late addition of oil and high speed C-hook kneading a la Bastianich.  I now have access to an old KA mixer.
Levain:
   30g AP starter @ 100% hydration
   127g (1 cup) WW flour
   104g (3.5 fl oz) water
Soaker:
   254g (2 cups) WW flour
   64g (half cup) AP flour
   16g (2 tbs) VWG
   265g (9 fl oz) water
   1 and 1/8 tsp salt
Final Dough Assembly:
   All of the levain
   All of the soaker
   14g (1tbs) oil
Procedure:
   Mix the levain and soaker the night before baking.  (I dont use a lot of salt, and put it all in the soaker.  Those who use much more should probably save some for the final mix.)  Hold at about 75F overnight.  In the morning, cut the levain and soaker into many pieces, lightly dusting with flour.  Add them to the mixer with the oil.  Mix at speed 1 for a minute, and then scrape the hook down.  Repeat at speeds 2 and 6.  Turn out on a floured board and knead until tight.  Set aside under cover.  After about 45 minutes, execute a stretch and fold; and then round.  Hold for several hours at an average of about 60F.  About 2.5 hours before baking, elevate the dough to about 75F.

The dough has a good balance of strength and extensibility.  The crust is very flavorful.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:23:20 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
Re: Incorporating some new techniques
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:28:47 AM »
Charbo,

Thanks for the detailed post.  Your crumb on that pizza looks great!   Is the crust more chewy or crispy?

--Tim

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »
Charbo,

I agree that crumb looks great.  I like the use of a soaker, the levain and the use of the WW flour.  Great job!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »
Thanks.

The crust is moderately chewy.  It doesnt have enough gluten to be definitely chewy.  It doesnt have enough oil to be tender. 

Its not very crisp.  Its a high-hydration dough that I cook at only 450 on a perforated pan.

My goal is a very thin, crisp exterior with moderate overall chew.  My success varies.