Author Topic: Tonight's Lehmann/Pete-zza attempt  (Read 1197 times)

Offline kling

Tonight's Lehmann/Pete-zza attempt
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:31:52 PM »
I've been reading the forum for a couple months, but have had nothing to contribute (there is so much here to learn that I have little time for else). However, tonight's pie I was most proud of. After a number of attempts which turned out marginal, tonight I finally made something which I consider acceptable.

I made use of Pete-zza's recipe posted on the top of page 15 of his epic Lehmann thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.280.html). I made the dough according to the specifications (though by volume), including KASL, but divided the dough into two balls, one of which i tossed into the fridge, the other I allowed to rise at room temperature. The latter is what I used tonight. I topped it with a mixture of crummy store-bought "pizza sauce" and thin homemade pasta sauce, crummy shredded moz, diced onions, garlic, basil, tomatoes and broccoli. I baked it on a stone at 500F.

Now that I can make a passable dough I can begin experimenting with more high quality toppings while hopefully continuing to improve upon the dough/crust.

Many thanks to everyone here (and Pete-zza especially) for your contributions to this forum and my dough making abilities in particular.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tonight's Lehmann/Pete-zza attempt
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 07:30:53 PM »
kling,

I'm surprised that you were able to get a same-day pizza out of the formulation you used. It calls for a trivial amount of yeast and cold water. How many hours did you let the dough ferment at room temperature? Was this your first attempt at a Lehmann dough and, if not, do you have any questions or comments based on your prior attempts?

I think the next pizza will be even better because of the long, cold fermentation. Just keep at it and once you master the dough, you will be in good shape thereafter. You should really aim for high quality toppings. They do make a pizza better, no matter the crust. I learned that in spades from Dom DeMarco at DiFara's in Brooklyn.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 08:53:50 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline kling

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 01:55:13 AM »
This wasn't my first attempt. I feel like the most important things I did differently were to: mix the yeast and flour in a separate bowl to ensure an even distribution, and to add this mixture to the salted water slowly while mixing. Based on what I've read here, I too was surprised to get decent results from a same day dough. I made the dough at 9 or 10 a.m. and used it arount 5:30 p.m. Thanks again.

Offline expieguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 06:24:09 AM »
Try using Ciliengine mozzorella scattered about on top of a nice mix of shredded dry mozzerlla/provolone.

Nice use of brocolli. I've had good results with asparagus and eggplant as toppings.

Oh, but the best is trying out different types of mushrooms. Here in the Northwest we get all sorts of wild mushrooms and it's a joy to make mushroom pizza with four varieties. Shittakes are good as they are really dry and soak up a lot of the grease from the cheese and pepperoni. Diced Portobellos are good as well. Hedgehog, Oyster, Chantrels and Abalone are nice but be sure to add some extra garlic as that really compliments their flavor.

Later,

Expieguy John

pizzapan