Author Topic: KitchaidAid or food processor??  (Read 1328 times)

Offline PelletPizzaJoe

• I Love Pizza!
Re: KitchaidAid or food processor??
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
So, quickly on my phone I look up KAF0711CU, which I think is the model number of the food processor they had the closeout tag on it. I wasn't positive that was the correct model, because the tag was not really labeled correctly as far as i could tell. I say that because the tag on it actually says 13-cup silver, the tag also says it's "used".  Anyway, it looked to me like some places like Home Depot and Macy's were selling the KAF0711CU model for about $99, which seemly indicated that if the one Sears was selling as closeout was actually the display model, then it wouldn't be much of a deal...  I decided just to leave and do more research, because after looking at the Hamilton Beach 8 cup, I wasn't very impressed and wasn't sure I wanted to buy that model either, even though it was only $26. I liked the feel of the KitchenAid much better...   

As I was walking out , a sales woman asked me if she could help... I said, "well I did have a question about this KitchenAid Food processor"...  We walked over to where it was, I asked... is that the price on the one there on the shelf?  She said yes... I said but what about the one in the  box down here?  She said, that's the new model, I replied to her that it was not the new model, that it was the older model, she reached down turned the box over and scanned it ...  She says.  "Oh, that's $21.97", thinking I didn't hear her correctly , or misunderstood what she said... I say... "What?   you mean $21.97 for the one in the box? "  she says yes...   I then ask how much will you sell me the one on the shelf if I also buy the one in the box, cause that's the last one you have besides the one in the box and all the parts aren't there.... She says $14, I say how about $12... she says OK...     

So for a total of like $37 after sales tax, I'm now the proud owner of one new in the box KFP0711CU, and one KAFP0711CU base/bowl/lid.   I figure I've now got spare parts for the one I bought for $22.00.    I'm sure glad I didn't just walk out of the store without clarifying the pricing on this thing...  I feel like I hit the consumer product lottery today.

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »
Went to Sears at lunch today,  intending to get a Hamilton Beach 8 cup food processor,  they have them on sale for  $26.

But then I saw this closeout sale on a KitchenAid 7 cup food processor. I figured I should consider the KA one...

More in a bit...

Nice grab!!!!
jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »
Pictures from the dough making.  The water was 41F, I mixed all the dry ingredients in the FP bowl (1) , added the oil to the water and mixed it a bit then added to the FP (2), pulsed 1/sec for 20 seconds - dough temp 59.5F at this point (3), rest/autolyse for 15 minutes (4), about a minute of hand kneading then in a container for 6 hrs RTF.  Temp going in to RTF was 63.9F, temp after RTF was 68.5F.  I made 2 balls, put them in bags and in the fridge.  I'll bake them up on Monday.

I had to wait until yesterday (Tuesday) to bake.  I think the dough was a bit over-fermented but overall very tasty.  One 14" cheese and one 16" sausage.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:54:46 PM by clarkth »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »
  Joe, are you a car salesman? ;D Heck of a deal. I have the 13 cup model, and it has been great so far. Be sure when not in use to not completely close the lid, it can damage the locking mechanism. let us know what you think about it.

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 05:31:35 PM »
That's a good looking pie Clark. The food processor is so easy to use, for most peoples needs it's plenty for pizza dough.
Ryan

Offline PelletPizzaJoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »
  Joe, are you a car salesman? ;D Heck of a deal. I have the 13 cup model, and it has been great so far. Be sure when not in use to not completely close the lid, it can damage the locking mechanism. let us know what you think about it.

Thanks for the tip on not keeping the lid closed up tight when not in use...

First impression is...   It's a heck of a lot easier to clean up the KitchenAid stand mixer then it is this food processor.

My first use was to try and make a small batch of dough for doughnuts.  It went well, until I realized I forgot to add a egg that was supposed to be in the recipe.  At that point, I had this nice soft, but sort of firm dough ball, I was quite pleased, until I realized I forgot the egg and then tried to add a egg and mix it up with the processor.   The dough got all gooey, the KA Food processor struggled, then shutdown...  some grinding noises were heard too.   I waited a little while and tried to start it again, it did start, but clearly it was too much for the motor and mechanism , it shutdown again.  I decided to just quit while I was ahead.    The unit must have some sort of thermal protection, or someway that it shut itself down , presumably to protect itself.   The dough ball was quite nice , about 450 grams, before I added the egg...   I was clearly pushing it beyond it's ability when I tried to add the egg to the already formed dough ball ( I had pulled it apart and tried to spread it out evenly in the bowl of the food processor ) .

So, while that doughnut dough was too much...   I'm somewhat optimistic that I can avoid that type of thing in the future.  I do think that typical pizza dough for one 12" crust ( roughly 330 grams )  will work out just find in this, but I guess time will tell if that's true. 7 cup size, is for sure marginal for making dough much beyond 400 grams.

I am very glad I didn't pay $90 for this...  but, for what I paid, I'm still quite pleased.  Even so, I don't expect to put my stand mixer too far into storage any time soon.

The unit comes with a reversible shredding blade ( fine and not so fine ), as well as a slicer with adjustable thickness setting,  as well as the standard blade thing ( wow is that sharp, I already cut myself on it ).   I see KA sells a 'dough' mixer thing, for about $16, I might go ahead and buy that accessory just to see if it works any better or worse then the standard blade thing. 

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2016, 08:50:31 PM »

So, while that doughnut dough was too much...   I'm somewhat optimistic that I can avoid that type of thing in the future.  I do think that typical pizza dough for one 12" crust ( roughly 330 grams )  will work out just find in this, but I guess time will tell if that's true. 7 cup size, is for sure marginal for making dough much beyond 400 grams.

I did a 900g batch of dough in my 8 cup yesterday. Two 450g dough balls for two 17" pizzas.

There is 3 parts to clean. The bowl, the blade, and the lid. I take the pusher out and just cover it with my hand so I don't dirty it. I only use that when I use the shredding disc. If you weigh everything directly into the food processor, it's so fast to make a dough and clean everything up.
Ryan

Offline PelletPizzaJoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
I did a 900g batch of dough in my 8 cup yesterday. Two 450g dough balls for two 17" pizzas.

There is 3 parts to clean. The bowl, the blade, and the lid. I take the pusher out and just cover it with my hand so I don't dirty it. I only use that when I use the shredding disc. If you weigh everything directly into the food processor, it's so fast to make a dough and clean everything up.

The doughnut dough is pretty wet, I wound up with about 500 grams of mixed wet doughnut dough,  my KitchenAid 7 cup struggled to mix it. The dough seeps up under the blade attachment and is a kinda hard to clean up inside that attachment when this happens.   I think my KitchenAid stand mixer with the paddle would work a little better for this , but I haven't actually tried this particular dough formulation yet in the stand mixer.

I made two batches of bread dough with the food processor so far... the first one I forgot to add some sourdough starter in with the mix, then tried to incorporate that in after the fact, I did end up getting it done, but it was a bit messy as it got up under the blade attachment and never really formed into a ball.   The second batch , I put all the dry ingredients in the processor, then all the wet ingredients were in a cup ( including the sourdough starter portion of the mix ), I had the processor on high as I slowly pored in liquid, a ball formed and the dough turned out quite nicely. Both of these batches were about 475 grams total.  I think with a little practice I can make this formulation/hydration work reasonably well in the food processor and probably do it faster then in the stand mixer.

I made a 350 gram ball of pizza dough too... all dry ingredients in the processor, all liquid in a cup then slowly poured in the processor, a ball formed, all went well.  For a single crust of this size, I'm confident this works better then the same size would have worked in the mixer. Also based on my experience with the bread dough , I know I could go up to at least 500 grams at once.  Even so, at this point in my KA Food Processor, I'm not at all confident that I could mix over 600 grams of pizza dough, I guess I'll have to try it to see, but for me if I go above 500 grams, I know I can easily do it in the mixer...

So, maybe things will improve for me with time, learning better technique for the food processor... but right now, it sure doesn't look like dough in the 75% to 90% hydration is going to work very well , it is just too much like goo and bogs the processor down too much. I suspect that if I get up above 90% hydration then the dough would thin out enough to work, but then I don't do a whole lot of dough with that level of hydration, at least nothing I could just as easily do by hand.  For me, I guess the jury is still out my great deal on two food processors ( Ok, it's like one and 3/4 food processors ). I do know, if I'd paid anywhere near full price on this particular food processor, I'd not be happy, because I did get such a great deal, it's hard to complain too much though.

wordpress