Author Topic: key to soft pizza crust--soak in oil?  (Read 214 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
key to soft pizza crust--soak in oil?
« on: March 21, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
I'm trying to get my gluten free pizza dough to be less dry, less like a cracker.  I like a soft, foldable crust.  I'm baking the pizza at 500 in a home oven on a pizza stone.  Here's my recipe and what I'm doing--it's working somewhat in terms of a foldable crust, but I feel like there's quite a bit of room for improvement:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37047.msg370814#msg370814

Now, I read somewhere a blog post from someone who claims to have worked at a Papa John's, and she said one of the secrets to a light fluffy crust is to not include the oil in the initial mixing--instead, she says to mix the ingredients together, put the oil in a bowl, and then set the dough in the oil to rise.  That sounds crazy to me, but plausibly crazy :)  Has anyone heard of or tried this methodology?

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
Re: key to soft pizza crust--soak in oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06:35 PM »
Peter told me large amounts of sugar and oil are what lead to the tender crust here  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg332605#msg332605

5% sugar and 5% oil make a really soft foldable dough for me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:24:26 PM by Jakew81 »
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: key to soft pizza crust--soak in oil?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »
canadave, if you can get the floor temp higher, your cooking time will be shorter and should result in a softer crust.  Will your home oven go to 550F? If so heat your stone for an hour and it will normally get a bit higher than 550F.
I have not heard of soaking the dough in oil before?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan