Author Topic: Sauce Repository/Questions About Sauce  (Read 481 times)

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
Sauce Repository/Questions About Sauce
« on: January 17, 2016, 08:54:52 PM »
Hi guys,

I've got a proposal for the site. Is it possible to get a repository for all the different types of sauce recipes posted on this site? Perhaps a sticky at the top of this forum since it's the "General Pizza Making" section of the forum? That would be great for people to find a sauce recipe that fits what they like.

Next, what's the difference between the different types of sauces? I've been using this sauce recipe here: http://www.ohsweetbasil.com/pizza-sauce.html it works well but I've grown tired of it and I'm looking for something new and more fresh. However, is there a certain sauce to use for NY style pizzas or Chicago deep dish or Chicago thin (the three types of pizza I make)?

I've come across November's pizza sauce here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3735.msg32136#msg32136 and I think I will try that one. Is that a good, all purpose, pizza sauce recipe to use? I've also come across PizzaGarage's sauce for his deep dish pizza here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35696.msg401699#msg401699 but is that a good general sauce recipe?

Or any suggestions from you guys?

-Jeffinslaw
Perfecting pizzas one ball of dough at a time.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Sauce Repository/Questions About Sauce
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:04:25 AM »
Have you tried just good crushed tomatoes?

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »

I made the mistake of putting a small amount of fresh garlic in the crushed Sclafani's the other night. I'll never do that again.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »
Jeffsinlaw,

Unless you plan to create the type of document that you mentioned in your post, you are going to have a hard time getting anyone else to create it. Sauce recipes are all over the forum and one would have to search the entire forum to find them, study them, and categorize them is some useful manner. I have created many documents on the forum that try to compile things to help members (and also me) and it can take a lot of work and a lot of time. And, even after being created, there is no guarantee that the members will find the compilations useful, even if the threads are made stickys. A good example of this is the list of sources of flours from all around the world that I created recently after much research, Google searching, language translations, and time and effort, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40212.msg401012#msg401012. I would estimate that a good percentage of the page views are mine inasmuch as I had to go into the thread many, many times to add new items to the compilation or to update it or to modify it. For me, the only consolation is that I find the compilation useful in increasing my knowledge of flours and maybe I can help other members more easily and more quickly because of the existence of the compilation.

Peter

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »

I will have to try this, thanks!

I made the mistake of putting a small amount of fresh garlic in the crushed Sclafani's the other night. I'll never do that again.

Oh I bet that was potent...

Jeffsinlaw,

Unless you plan to create the type of document that you mentioned in your post, you are going to have a hard time getting anyone else to create it. Sauce recipes are all over the forum and one would have to search the entire forum to find them, study them, and categorize them is some useful manner. I have created many documents on the forum that try to compile things to help members (and also me) and it can take a lot of work and a lot of time. And, even after being created, there is no guarantee that the members will find the compilations useful, even if the threads are made stickys. A good example of this is the list of sources of flours from all around the world that I created recently after much research, Google searching, language translations, and time and effort, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40212.msg401012#msg401012. I would estimate that a good percentage of the page views are mine inasmuch as I had to go into the thread many, many times to add new items to the compilation or to update it or to modify it. For me, the only consolation is that I find the compilation useful in increasing my knowledge of flours and maybe I can help other members more easily and more quickly because of the existence of the compilation.

Peter

Ah... that makes sense. I unfortunately am not up to the task of doing that. I guess I will keep doing some searching and reading on my own time and bookmark any sauce recipes I find in the process.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

-Jeffinslaw

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 09:16:37 AM »
Jeff the biggest step you can take in sauce is to change the base tomato product.  Craig is heading you in the right direction.

My suggestion would be to explore your area, and try to find a place where you can get commercial Stanislaus products.  I like to base my sauce on the Stanislaus 7/11 Product (very bright and vibrant) and the Full Red Pizza Sauce with Basil (use as a base with your spice package - has more of the taste profile we find in commercial pizzerias in various parts of the country)  These come in #10 cans, about the size of 3 3/4 28 oz consumer size.  I use the leftover for chili or bolognese sauce.   You can also freeze the leftover in ziplock bags with no air and thaw in the fridge.

Fun reading if this is new to you: http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#pizzasauce

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »
Jeff the biggest step you can take in sauce is to change the base tomato product.  Craig is heading you in the right direction.

My suggestion would be to explore your area, and try to find a place where you can get commercial Stanislaus products.  I like to base my sauce on the Stanislaus 7/11 Product (very bright and vibrant) and the Full Red Pizza Sauce with Basil (use as a base with your spice package - has more of the taste profile we find in commercial pizzerias in various parts of the country)  These come in #10 cans, about the size of 3 3/4 28 oz consumer size.  I use the leftover for chili or bolognese sauce.   You can also freeze the leftover in ziplock bags with no air and thaw in the fridge.

Fun reading if this is new to you: http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#pizzasauce

Thanks for the suggestion on the Stanislaus! I see that brand mentioned here often. In the mean time while I track down a source for that, here are the brands that I can buy locally. They all have some sort of crushed tomato or puree version available. Opinions welcomed!
  • Contadina
  • S&W
  • Cento
  • Safeway Brand San Marzano
  • Bionature
I have used the Cento brand San Marzano in lasagna before and it was absolutely amazing. I did blend them using a stick blender (hate chunks of tomato for some reason).

-Jeffinslaw

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 07:03:34 PM »

How fresh was it? Most of the garlic we buy is cured. I like garlic in sauce but I also like to eat garlic cloves.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 09:24:28 PM »
How fresh was it? Most of the garlic we buy is cured. I like garlic in sauce but I also like to eat garlic cloves.

Fresh as in not from a jar.

Someone gave me a 1# jar of chopped garlic once, and I dumped it in the compost pile. A couple days later, the dog walked in just reeking of garlic. I thought to myself "oh no you didn't." Yes he did. Every last bit of it. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:26:43 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 09:55:59 PM »
Yes he did. Every last bit of it.

;D  That brought a smile to my face.  Back in the early 80's, back when a fellow could make better beer than you could buy, a friend and I got seriously into all grain brewing.  Our Airedale at the time thought there was NOTHING better than the spent grains in the compost pile.  The first time I called the Vet, he said, "Sounds good, is there any left?"