Author Topic: 2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and self rising flour  (Read 1647 times)

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and self rising flour
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »
Do you guys think the 0% fat Greek yogurt is the way to go?  Maybe my dough was too sticky because I was using full fat Greek yogurt.

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
2 ingredient dough - Greek yogurt and self rising flour
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2014, 05:20:29 PM »
I mixed up another batch and I believe that I under kneaded my batch from the other day.  I ended up using a ratio of yogurt:flour of 3:4. In Baker's percentages, that is 75% yogurt to 100% self rising flour.  Using that ratio, I ended up with a very nice and soft ball of dough (picture attached). I used my food processor for 100% of the kneading. The cold yogurt kept the dough relatively cool.  This Greek yogurt has 14 g of fat per 1 cup serving/227 g.  I am letting it sit for 10 minutes before I roll it out into some flatbread / naan.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:22:40 PM by PrimeRib »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
Do you guys think the 0% fat Greek yogurt is the way to go?  Maybe my dough was too sticky because I was using full fat Greek yogurt.

I think the full fat vs NF certainly would make a difference (haven't tried the FF) but equally, if not more so is that the Fage brand is a much thicker, less moist product. Certainly more expensive than others I looked at and have tried in the past, but very good

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
Before I left market today I took the pH of the small dough ball.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
A few more pics of the dough.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: Yesterday at 09:36:38 PM »
There was only time today to try out the one bigger dough ball that was made with the GM self-rising flour and the Fage 0% fat Natural yogurt.  The dough ball sat out to warm up for about 5 hrs.  It can be seen that the poppy seeds did not move apart at all.  I really did not think they would move apart without regular yeast, but still placed the poppy seeds one inch apart.  The pH number can be seen on the smaller dough ball.  The smaller dough ball was warmed for the same amount of time as the larger one.  I put the smaller dough ball back into the deli case. 

The dough felt very dry when trying to open it.  The dough ball did open okay, but not the best.  It can be seen there was not much of any rise in the rim crust.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 09:37:42 PM »
Norma

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #107 on: Yesterday at 09:51:24 PM »
Looks good from here. How did it taste?  Did you sell the slices?  I wonder what would happen if we just mixed water with the self rising flour instead of the Greek yogurt.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: Yesterday at 10:41:37 PM »
Looks good from here. How did it taste?  Did you sell the slices?  I wonder what would happen if we just mixed water with the self rising flour instead of the Greek yogurt.

PrimeRib,

It was okay but nothing special in taste.  The crust did have a unique taste though.  No, I did not sell the slices.  My taste testers said they like my normal pizzas better.  I don't think if we just mixed water with the self rising flour that would work.  I think it might be something like a biscuit.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #109 on: Yesterday at 10:48:36 PM »
There was only time today to try out the one bigger dough ball that was made with the GM self-rising flour and the Fage 0% fat Natural yogurt.  The dough ball sat out to warm up for about 5 hrs.  It can be seen that the poppy seeds did not move apart at all.  I really did not think they would move apart without regular yeast, but still placed the poppy seeds one inch apart.  The pH number can be seen on the smaller dough ball.  The smaller dough ball was warmed for the same amount of time as the larger one.  I put the smaller dough ball back into the deli case. 
The dough felt very dry when trying to open it.  The dough ball did open okay, but not the best.  It can be seen there was not much of any rise in the rim crust.
Norma

Norma, in the 7th pic where you are hold the piece in the air it looks like you had a bit of a gum line too, did you find that true? I know I did on mine. I like the recipe as a naan/flatbread better I think or as a parbaked crust, NO gum line of course. Though with the hi gluten dough it may be a bit on the chewy side for some, I personally like that sometimes. I will be trying some other flours also to see the difference

jon

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: Yesterday at 11:04:18 PM »
Norma, in the 7th pic where you are hold the piece in the air it looks like you had a bit of a gum line too, did you find that true? I know I did on mine. I like the recipe as a naan/flatbread better I think or as a parbaked crust, NO gum line of course. Though with the hi gluten dough it may be a bit on the chewy side for some, I personally like that sometimes. I will be trying some other flours also to see the difference

jon

Jon,

Yes, there was a little bit of a gum line.  The pizza that was made today was a little chewy.  I really don't understand how that could have happened with the lower protein flour. 

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #111 on: Yesterday at 11:05:55 PM »
PrimeRib,

It was okay but nothing special in taste.  The crust did have a unique taste though.  No, I did not sell the slices.  My taste testers said they like my normal pizzas better.  I don't think if we just mixed water with the self rising flour that would work.  I think it might be something like a biscuit.

Norma

I agree, the yogurt brings it's own thing to the game here, it is a must

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #112 on: Yesterday at 11:56:05 PM »
Here's some pics from Monday nites dinner using Sunday nites leftovers. A disk of the flatbread topped with some of the seasoned olive oil, buttered baby reds and whites with onion that were roasted in the BS. Then some of the steak followed with some queso del caribe Mexican cheese and mozz mix. Slow heated in a cast iron pan so the bottom got nice and crunchy as the toppings heated and cheese melted. A side of some late season green beans blanched and pan fried with butter, shaved garlic, baby bellas and finished with some balsamic. Excellent eats and love this new dough as a parbake and naan side. Many ideas going for using it this way

jon

pizzapan