Author Topic: Grilled Pizza Info????  (Read 544 times)

Offline dzpiez

Grilled Pizza Info????
« on: June 12, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »
I had extra dough and left over cheese but didn't feel like firing up the BS, so thought I'd try it on the grill.  Has anybody got making pies on the grill down?  Is there a way to get a good CORNICIONE?  Any info would be great.

~dave 8)

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Grilled Pizza Info????
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »
That first one looks as good as any I've seen from a grill.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
Thanks Craig

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »
I don't think that looks bad at all. I've been grilling traditionally-formed doughs and grilling them, and I'm finding the edge crust doesn't really char up to my preference.

Usually, I just make a simple flatbread, with no raised edge, grill it quickly one side, flip it, top it, then let it ago a very, very short time to finish.

The crust will be extremely thin, like a cracker (but not flaky). It's not my favorite style, but we'll do them when guests come by and set out a variety toppings, like a pizza bar.

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Where is summer?
    • My WFO project
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
That first one looks as good as any I've seen from a grill.
^^^ I have never seen a better one myself.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 04:28:13 PM »
I grill the skin, then dress it and finish under the broiler.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 04:43:14 PM »
A few weeks ago I put my pizza stone on my gas grill and cranked it up (got the stone up to over 750f).  I par-cooked a couple of doughs with just sauce on it.  I got the puffiest cornicione I've ever made.  Of course these need to be dressed and finished in the oven directly on the rack.  But they turned out well and in fact, the one I froze and used a few days later may have been the best frozen pizza I've ever had.

I think using 00 flour was part of the winning formula.

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 10:29:26 PM »
Thanks hodgey, I just wish I could have gotten more of a CORNICIONE on them.  Maybe next time.

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 10:45:19 PM »
Thanks hodgey, I just wish I could have gotten more of a CORNICIONE on them.  Maybe next time.

I'm not sure it's possible.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline texasbudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 06:10:48 PM »
I've been grilling my pizza for a few years now and I pretty much got it down...

I do it on a Weber Baby Q 100.  I ordered the Weber pizza stone, sleeves, and trivet from New Zealand.  I put a piece of double foil under the trivet/stone and let it heat up for about 20-30 min's on high, throw the pizza on the sleeve (sip on a cold Bud) and in approx 18 min's I got an awesome pie to chow down.

This one is from last weekend.
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline PhantomLord

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 05:52:41 AM »
I used my Weber Q1200 for pizza too in combination with a cordierite stone (same as the weber pizza stone). but there could be more heat from above.
temperature is ~530°F. baking time ~5-7 minutes.

some pictures of my mini pizzas
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:18:51 AM by PhantomLord »

Offline Dwain

• Bon Appétit!
Grilled Pizza Info????
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »
I use a Weber pizza oven I ordered online from German Amazon. Here a personal pie:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:14:49 PM by Dwain »
~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Offline texasbudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »
I used my Weber Q1200 for pizza too in combination with a cordierite stone (same as the weber pizza stone). but there could be more heat from above.
temperature is ~530°F. baking time ~5-7 minutes.

some pictures of my mini pizzas

Consider putting a double layer of foil underneath and placing that metal cooling rack in the photo under the stone, you'll proably get a more even cook and should take a little longer... I'm getting about the same temp but the air circulates better around my pizza so it takes a little longer.  Just my 98 cents...
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline PhantomLord

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »
Consider putting a double layer of foil underneath and placing that metal cooling rack in the photo under the stone, you'll proably get a more even cook and should take a little longer... I'm getting about the same temp but the air circulates better around my pizza so it takes a little longer.  Just my 98 cents...

the air circulation was a reason why I chose the smaller stone. but using the rack underneath the stone is a good idea
thanks for the tip :)

wordpress