Author Topic: Pizza I grew up with...  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Needssalt

Pizza I grew up with...
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
I have very fond memories  of my mom letting me pop the bubbles on the dough in the pan.  These sheet pan pizzas are what filled the house with aromas around the holidays.  After all my steel and NY playing around, I had the urge this year to do these.  It felt good to apply all i've learned over the years, and through this board, and be successful on my first attempt.  I'm making 3 more for xmas eve,.... 

GM Full Strength @63%, 2% salt, 2% oil, .13% ADY      Bulk 24hrs @60,..  pan rise at 74 for a few hours I think.

I only had a seasoned Lincoln aluminum pan,...  was great.  I love the reheat too, who doesn't...

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Pizza I grew up with...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »
Looks great all the way around.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »
Needssalt, those look fantastic, and I'll bet they tasted great. I have not made a Sicilian pan pie since the 70s. Your work is motivating me to make one over the holidays. Would you mind telling me "about" how much dough you used for each pan.

When I worked in a pizza shop (in the 70s) we would use two dough balls for each pan, we always par-cooked the dough, then let it cool, then toped and finished the cook as they were ordered.

Did you par-cook yours? The Sicilian pan pies we made were a little thick (IMHO) so I was wondering how much dough you used. If I remember, and that was a long long time ago, our dough balls were ~16oz. but we did have a smaller size, I can't remember if we used 2 16oz balls or 2 of the smaller ones.

In any case, nice work on the pies, I'm very hungry now!!!!!

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »
Thank you both for the nice words.  I took a shot at ball size.  I think it worked fine.  650g Flour @63% which is like 410g water, 13g salt, 13g oil, .8g  ADY.

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
So I made 3 pizzas for Christmas eve.  I think I will retract my earlier post of 650g of flour for this half sheet pan.  A couple things,.... I now think it might be too much dough, and I will also say that I did not do a stellar job of making even thickness in the pan.  My edges were a little thick.  That would be my main critique though.  They tasted delicious, my family agreed, this is what we used have years and years ago.  I even cooked my tomatoes with a little onion and garlic, and EVOO, it smelled just like mom's kitchen 30 something years ago.  I made one with just grated pecorino half thin pepperoni and pepperoncini, no mozz. The other two with mozz.  One had very thin pepperoni and sausage, the other had mushrooms, sausage, some basil, and half had minced pepperoncini.  My pics are not the greatest.  The piece shots are after a minor reheat, but it represents well.  Overall, fun and delicious. 

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »
Some more...

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »
Very nice, if they could only send smell through the internet :drool:

I have the same slicer! I have not used it to slice my cheese yet, maybe I'll try that - BTW, do you sauce and par bake the dough or just top and cook all at once? Also, do you use any oil on the pan?

Those look so good to me I want to make sure I don't goof it up when I give it a try?

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »
Those pies look absolutely delicious! Great job. I'd like to make a sicilian pie with a crumb like that. Maybe it's the "long" pan rise, which is a step that for the most part I omit.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »
I absolutely oiled the pan before the pan rise.  The pan rise was maybe like 3 hours at RT.  I used a warming drawer too, to speed one of them up. I used a light colored, Cento olive oil, with really mild flavor.  I think my mom and great gram used a blend, I can picture the big jug. I did bake with just sauce for like 5-7 or so minutes, then topped, and then another 10-12 minutes if I remember. 
That silly slicer has been in my kitchen for 10+years.  I like everything sliced thin, I think I'm able to control how I balance flavors better, and give longer life to ingredients like salamis etc...   

One of my favorite episodes...
Cosmo Kramer: [Kramer cuts meat wearing a white coat] This slicer is indomitable.
Jerry: Where did you get that butcher's coat?
Cosmo Kramer: You buy enough meat, they'll give you anything.

pizzapan