Author Topic: A Couple of Questions  (Read 562 times)

Offline JulianN

• I Love Pizza!
A Couple of Questions
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:37:39 PM »
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding making this dough recipe:

3 cups (16 ounces) high-gluten flour
9 ounces warm water
1 tablespoon classico olive oil
1 teaspoon instant yeast
teaspoon salt

1.) How should I change the recipe to use ADY rather than IDY?

2.) How long should I knead the dough? I don't have a mixer.

3.) Will bread flour work in place of high-gluten flour?

Thanks for any and all help,
Julian

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: A Couple of Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »
Julian;
To substitute ADY for the IDY you are presently using increase the amount of ADY to 1.25-teaspoons, but be sure to put it into a small amount of warm (100F) water to hydrate for about 10-minutes before using it. You should not add it dry as you do IDY. Since pizza dough is best undermixed, mixing is really not an issue. I normally mix my home made pizza dough by hand just until the dough comes together, then place it into a lightly oiled bowl and allow it to ferment a couple hours, or more. Then turn the dough out of the bowl and knead for a minute or so, divide the dough into individual pieces for each crust you want to make, place each of these into a small, lightly oiled bowl and allow to ferment for 1 to 2-hours at room temperature. Turn the dough out of the bowl into some dusting flour and open into pizza skins.
As for using bread flour, it works great. I like to use Pillsbury "BREAD" flour available from most supermarkets (it is intended for use in making bread with a bread machine).
I'll be in Overland Park next week at my son's home making my traditional pizza and calzones by this method.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline JulianN

• I Love Pizza!
Re: A Couple of Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »
Thank you!! I just remembered that I forgot to thank you. I used the method that you mentioned to make two balls of dough. I used one of them right after it rose at room temperature and put the other one in the fridge overnight. The one that I used right away bounced back a lot, but the one that was in the fridge was very manageable and stretched well; can you explain this to me?

Merry Christmas,
Julian