Author Topic: Luzzo's Pizzeria Review  (Read 15697 times)

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
Re: Luzzo's Pizzeria Review
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2007, 04:04:59 PM »
I was there this weekend too.  The place was nearly empty and after waiting a half hour for a pizza to arrive and watching others who arrived 15 minutes after I did get their pizzas and getting the attention of the server but still getting no pizza, I simply walked out.  Some friends had a similarly bad service experience.

They may feel the quality of their pizza outweighs the need for basic customer service, but it does not.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2007, 05:29:04 PM »
So we are taking a trip to the city tomorrow.  Can anyone offer suggestions as to where to go  >:D  We will be in the neighborhood of Luzzo's and UPN!
Patrick

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2007, 09:59:03 AM »
FYI.I foolishly drove 1 hr last night to take a friend to Luzzo's.Instead of calling first to see if they were open,I just checked on a Take Out menu that I had at home,which stated that they opened at 4pm on Mondays.Be advised....Now they DON'T!
We ended up going to Bread Bar@Tabla.A very well positioned nice space with typical Meyer inspired service ,but the food was nothing special IMO.Tried all of the Nan on offer (Sourdough,Garlic,Rosemary)  small,overpriced but O.K.
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline joeyboca

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2007, 11:48:53 AM »
I was there last night and the pizza was excellent!

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Luzzo's Pizzeria Review
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
I just finished a few days in the big apple and have an update on Luzzo's. I wish I had good news to report.

First, I toured the dough room and there was absolutely no high gluten flour, brominated or otherwise, to be found. There was however abundant amounts of San Felice 00 flour. There was also a Hobart mixer with a spiral attachment.

Second, the coal fired oven is now also burning wood during business hours and just coal after hours. I timed three pizzas and each took over two minutes to bake. Closer to 2:30 to be more accurate. The bake was uneven with the top nearly raw and the bottom nearly burned. Why they are burning wood and coal is perplexing. I understand why they are trying to approximate a wood buring oven, but it simply doesn't work in practice.

Third, the balance of the pies were completely off irrespective of toppings chosen. The sauce was overly bitter from citric acid in canned tomatoes. Consequently it overwhelmed my palate.

The crust still had no discernable fermented flavor only this time, it didn't possess the perfect texture it once had. I felt like crying about this one.

Overall, every single major aspect of the pizza at Luzzo's had slipped to the point where I will not go back. Life is too short to give this joint another try.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com