Author Topic: Where do I find 6-in-1 in Atlanta  (Read 2865 times)

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Where do I find 6-in-1 in Atlanta
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:30:45 PM »
I checked my local Publix and Kroger for 6-in-1 with no luck.  Where do I find these in Atlanta?  Does Sam's or Costco sell them?  I know I can get them online, but Atlanta is huge and someone should sell them here.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Where do I find 6-in-1 in Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 07:48:20 AM »
Sorry TM but you have to order them online, but the shipping is only 75 cents for three 28 oz cans.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 10:28:12 AM »
TM,

I wondered whether International Gourmet, a foodservice company, stocks the 6-in-1s, so I called their offices in Virginia to get a telephone number for their Atlanta operation. IG does not sell to individuals but they may give you the name of an account from whom you may be able to buy pizza ingredients. As it turns out, it appears that IG does not sell the Escalon products but they do sell the Stanislaus products, of which the Tomato Magic is very similar to the 6-in-1s. If you are interested in following up on the matter, the person you would call is Craig Coleman, at 404-201-1746. The basic office number for IG in Atlanta is 404-201-4663. I believe IG also sells the Caputo Pizzeria flour and most likely other flours. It's also possible that different locations of IG carry different products, so the product mix for Atlanta may be different from the other locations.

Good luck and please let us know if anything pans out if you decide to call IG.

Peter

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 01:26:38 PM »
Man, where do you get this stuff?  You never cease to amaze me.  Thanks for doing the legwork for me.  The people on this site are such a great resource.  I'll  let you know if I contact them.  I am currently using strained Bionature passata for my sauce, but every loves the 6-in-1 and I thought I should give them a try.  I may just hold out for my garden tomatoes this summer.

TM

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 10:54:38 PM »
TM,

I wondered whether International Gourmet, a foodservice company, stocks the 6-in-1s, so I called their offices in Virginia to get a telephone number for their Atlanta operation. IG does not sell to individuals but they may give you the name of an account from whom you may be able to buy pizza ingredients. As it turns out, it appears that IG does not sell the Escalon products but they do sell the Stanislaus products, of which the Tomato Magic is very similar to the 6-in-1s. If you are interested in following up on the matter, the person you would call is Craig Coleman, at 404-201-1746. The basic office number for IG in Atlanta is 404-201-4663. I believe IG also sells the Caputo Pizzeria flour and most likely other flours. It's also possible that different locations of IG carry different products, so the product mix for Atlanta may be different from the other locations.

Good luck and please let us know if anything pans out if you decide to call IG.

Peter

I just spoke with IG in Atlanta today and they informed me they do sell the Caputo Pizzeria (which is why I called).  I told them about our Artisan Pizza Forum and how Caputo is just not available at the retail level and they seem willing to help me out. They told me they have never sold to the public, but they would sell me a bag of flour.  Maybe the corporate policy is no "cash and carry", so I hope this lasts. 

Thanks again Peter,
TM

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 03:30:32 PM »
I spoke with IG again today and they have to special order Stanislaus Tomato Magic and they only do that for restaurants and will not for a private individual.   They do have the Stanislaus Valorosso and Full Red tomato puree as regular items.  Has anyone used this to make pizza sauce?

Also, how big is a # 10 can.  They come 6 to a case.  I am fine with my home grown tomatoes and Cento canned whole plums right now, but I thought that if I was there for some Caputo that I might as well get some tomatoes. 

TM

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 04:16:18 PM »
Tony,

A #10 can can weigh different amounts depending on the form of tomatoes, e.g., whether they are whole, diced, pureed, paste, etc. For most forms other than paste, I would say that a #10 can of tomatoes weighs about 6.6-6.75 pounds.  A #10 can of the 6-in-1 ground tomatoes weighs 6 lbs. 9 oz. 

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:24:45 PM »
tonymark,  Nothing is going to beat your home grown tomatoes as long as they are processed properly, and the cento Italian whole peeled tomatoes are especially good for a canned tomato.

The valoroso is a whole tomato that is very similar to the escalon Bella Rosa, and not necessarily any better than your cento.  The full red puree is very similar to Escalon Bonta.  Knowing that you have access to good whole tomatoes I would probably recommend that you try the the full red puree, as it would be very different.  I think it is a good product for certain styles of sauce.  It is sort of a thicker version of 6in1's without the chunks or peel.  You will need to add water, but when you do you can make a very authentic NY street or American style pizza sauce.  Since you will be buying them wholesale and not paying for shipping they will be so cheap that it might be worth trying.  Still, I think the 6in1's are something you should eventually order.  It is especially nice that we can get them in the smaller cans.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 08:21:36 PM »
tonymark,  Nothing is going to beat your home grown tomatoes as long as they are processed properly ...

How should they be processed?  I would prefer not to can them because this results in some "cooking" and I want the fresh flavor of tomatoes.   I have been peeling, seeding and freezing in chunks.  Below is a picture of my recent harvest.  I may can some of these for pasta sauce this winter.

The full red puree ...
 You will need to add water, but when you do you can make a very authentic NY street or American style pizza sauce.  Since you will be buying them wholesale and not paying for shipping they will be so cheap that it might be worth trying. 

I recently tried the Cento crushed tomatoes on a thin and crispy style and found the flavor of that product to be too concentrated.  Is this what the full red puree is like?  Keep in mind, I prefer a more NY elite style of pizza.  Is this a good choice for this type of pizza?  I may just buy some Valorosso and use them over the winter.  I may even consider the 74-40 Tomato Filets if they carry them. 

Thanks,
TM

Offline PizzaPirate

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 04:10:32 PM »
Tonymark--  you can get 6-in-1 tomatoes at Harry's Market at 1180 Upper Hembree Road in Roswell.  I just recently stumbled across them there and bought several cans.  The price was $2.29 for a 28-ounce can.  Hope this helps.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 04:29:42 PM »
tonymark,  I am so sorry, I did not see your questions until today.

I think that the cento crushed tomatoes are not very good at all.  I only use the ITALIAN whole peeled.  Make sure they say Italian and not Italian style. 

Yes most NY pizza operators add water herbs and spices to very thick concentrated sauce that comes out of the can.  The places that don't mind spending a little more money may go for something that is closer to the consistency that you would eventually want on your pizza. This may or may not taste authentic to you.

You will get a fresher taste from the 64/40, but they are way chunky.  There is no sauce in there at all, just big chunks of tomato.  To me they taste just like chopped up Alta Cucinas, and that is definitely a good product.  For me both the Alta's and the 74/40 have too much citric acid.  They actually taste like sweet tarts right out of the can, but once they are on the pizza I don't notice it and you just end up with a very fresh tasting tomato.  The Italian Cento's do not have that sweet tart taste at all.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 05:34:44 PM »
Tonymark--  you can get 6-in-1 tomatoes at Harry's Market at 1180 Upper Hembree Road in Roswell.

PizzaPirate,

Thanks for the info.  I don't make it to the suburbs much, but I do appreciate the info.  I will definitely stop by Harry's next time I am in the upper I-400 region.

I'm curious.  Since Whole Foods own Harry's I am surprised not to find them at the Whole Foods 2 miles from my house.  I may ask if they can special order them.  Do you shop at Whole Foods?  If so, have you seen them there?

Thanks again,
TM

You will get a fresher taste from the 64/40, but they are way chunky.

Scott,
Did you mean 74/40?  Or is 64/40 a product from another company?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 05:39:08 PM by tonymark »

Offline PizzaPirate

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 06:08:12 PM »
Tony --  Interesting question.  I have meandered the aisles of Whole Foods many times before but never saw the 6 in 1.  Maybe they weren't obvious on the shelf or maybe they were located in an unrelated section without rhyme or reason as to why (it's happened before).  Or just maybe my powers of observation aren't what they used to be.  Oh well...         

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 06:16:30 PM »
the 64/40 and the 74/40 from Stanislaus are basically the exact same thing.  One just has a little less juice and a few more tomato chunks in there.  Great products if you want something different than the norm.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 06:50:48 PM »
Sorry TM but you have to order them online, but the shipping is only 75 cents for three 28 oz cans.

where/who online charges 75cents for 3 28oz cans?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 07:29:59 PM »
abc,

escalon only charges 25 cents a can shipping for their tomatoes.  Their website is www.escalon.net