Author Topic: Curing an oven  (Read 1390 times)

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Re: Curing an oven
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »
I agree with Stonecutter, not major yet. But water will eventually work its way down the crack and when it freezes, will expend. If the water gets to the oven, it will be a major problem.

To me it needs to be repaired. Either contact FB or it is mostly something you can do yourself.

How handy are you? If you want send me a PM and I will tell you what materials to use for potential repairs so it won't crack anymore.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Curing an oven
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 07:52:46 PM »
Those cracks are in the exterior shell of the oven. It does not need repair - they will continue. It will not affect anything - mine is open to the elements all year round. I have had my P70 for close to four years.

Whether or not it is a FB design flaw, don't worry about it and continue the curing.

John
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:55:14 PM by dellavecchia »

Offline bradsynergy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 10:47:10 AM »
Thank you all for your advice!  I appreciate it.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »
Those cracks are in the exterior shell of the oven. It does not need repair - they will continue.

Not to put down FB in anyway but the cracks needs to be repaired. Even if it just caulking in it.
I have done repairs on such construction from FB to help out some local people. The construction is to the minimum quality with only a single layer of stucco and there is nothing to stop water form getting in further once it has cracked.

It is like saying I know my car is leaking oil but it runs fine so I can continue driving it. If you wait long enough it is not a new gasket but a new engine you will need.

Antoine

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 06:25:35 PM »
Stucco cracks, I don't care how many layers you put on it.  A stucco dome is inherently flawed no matter who builds it.  It does need to be repaired, but the real solution is to build a doghouse on an oven and eliminate the issue altogether.

Offline mp233069

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
If this oven is going to be exposed to moisture with the possibility of freezing, the cracks should be sealed.
Mario

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
Stucco cracks, I don't care how many layers you put on it.  A stucco dome is inherently flawed no matter who builds it.

I take you up on this one  ;)

It took me a while, with some trial and error, but I developed a technique where stucco doesn't crack. I guaranty it for 1 year right now and about to change it to 2 years.
It cost me twice as much as to build it that way but it is trouble free, so absolutely worth it.

pizzapan