Author Topic: Buying a WFO for Home Use  (Read 1585 times)

Offline dbelluz

• I Love Pizza!
Buying a WFO for Home Use
« on: December 27, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Hi Everyone, I am thinking of purchasing a WFO for my home. Does anyone have experience with Forno Bravo?  I am considering the napolino60. 

http://www.fornobravo.com/residential_pizza_oven/pizza_oven_specs/napolino60.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:30:15 PM by dbelluz »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Buying a WFO for Home Use
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »
24" is a pretty small cooking area. Even a few extra inches will make a big difference.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »
The forno bravo 60 and 70 series ovens are pretty popular first ovens.  Problem with them is most people will want more pretty quickly, and in my opinion(and experience here) it isn't easy to sell them used and they don't hold value.  In the end you are burning a couple grand you could put toward the bigger oven you are going to eventually want anyway. 
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »
You might want to take a look at the postings by POLO. He talks about his oven being too big.

Best to you.

Tom N

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26305.msg281664.html#msg281664

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 06:44:38 PM »
The forno bravo 60 and 70 series ovens are pretty popular first ovens.  Problem with them is most people will want more pretty quickly, and in my opinion(and experience here) it isn't easy to sell them used and they don't hold value.  In the end you are burning a couple grand you could put toward the bigger oven you are going to eventually want anyway.

In your opinion and experience, what size oven do you recommend? Thank you in advance for the feedback.

TomN

Offline dbelluz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 07:09:47 PM »
Hi everyone, thank you for the feedback. What are some other options  you would recommend in the same price range for home use? I was actually considering some of the factors discussed by POLO. I don't want an oven that is very large and takes forever get up to temp for pizza. I am okay with an oven that fits one or two pies.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:21:25 PM by dbelluz »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 07:18:11 PM »
In your opinion and experience, what size oven do you recommend? Thank you in advance for the feedback.

TomN

Ideally, 100cm/39" minimum
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
You might want to take a look at the postings by POLO. He talks about his oven being too big.

Best to you.

Tom N

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26305.msg281664.html#msg281664

How did you go from Jeff and my comments all the way to 55" - by far the biggest oven of any member as far as I know ???
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dbelluz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »
TXCraig1, why are so many of the home ovens less than 30" . Will these ovens perform poorly for Neapolitan pizza?

http://www.fornobravo.com/residential_pizza_oven/pizza_oven_specs/napolino70.html

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 07:53:46 PM »
In my opinion based on my first oven at 30" with low mass and my current oven at 42" with moderate mass, the ideal home pizza oven would be 36" and low mass.  My 42" oven is great, but a beast to fire compared to the smaller oven.  I think a 36" would strike a nice medium while allowing enough space between the pizza and the fire for a fairly even bake consistently.  You might not achieve the level Craig does with a 10 hour fire in his commercial oven, but few will even with in that situation.  You will certainly be able to produce better pizza then you can buy within 150 miles of most americans.
-Jeff

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
TXCraig1, why are so many of the home ovens less than 30" . Will these ovens perform poorly for Neapolitan pizza?

http://www.fornobravo.com/residential_pizza_oven/pizza_oven_specs/napolino70.html

Because pizza ovens have hit a burst of popularity, and with a situation like that you will always have uninformed consumers who don't know what they should expect from a product, and unscrupulous "manufacturers" who wouldn't know how to build a well functioning oven if one hit them in the head who will gladly fill the demand.

Being located in Toronto, I would highly recommend you contact the member named Mathew and ask what Blazin Ovens has to offer.  They make quality ovens, are based in Canada, and last I heard Mathew distributed them and is in the Toronto area.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »

I think Jeff said it well in his comments above.

You can make great Neapolitan in a smaller oven. Omid has proven that beyond any doubt. It's just a lot harder.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »
What are some other options  you would recommend in the same price range for home use?

A 32" size oven would be enough to do 2 pies at a time as it is what people most often are able to manage.

I used the FGM 800 size oven to cook pizza, Neapolitan style, commercially for 2 years, 2 pizza at a time when busy,  and I always got great results, even when it was with some staff that had limited skills.
For home use it has been a very popular oven, close second to the 950 (37") size oven.

It is a little more $ than a FB, but it is an oven that is going to be easier to manage, will offer greater versatility and certainly higher quality.

Let me know if you would like more details.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline dbelluz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »
Hi Antoine,

Do you know where I can get an FGM oven in Toronto Canada?  Between shipping and taxed an oven like that would cost an additional $1000+

David

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
sadly, I think Blazing Ovens is out of business.  They made some really nice cast ovens. 
bill

Offline csafranek

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »
I would spend the extra money on FGM than FB. I know cause I have had both. FGM is night and day better!

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
Do you know where I can get an FGM oven in Toronto Canada?  Between shipping and taxed an oven like that would cost an additional $1000+

Hi David,

For Canada, that would be me. As far as the shipping, we would have to get an exact quote but it would range between $500 and $800 for a residential delivery. The oven is duty free as it meets certain criteria but you would have to pay the 5% Canadian VTA +  local province tax. Unless it is imported under a business name and then the taxes could be less.
I just shipped a 950 B R Turnkey to British Columbia, for a large crate 5'x5' weighing 2,200 lbs, residential delivery was right under $900.

I just sent you a PM so we can an exact shipping cost for you.

Antoine

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »
sadly, I think Blazing Ovens is out of business.  They made some really nice cast ovens. 
bill
Very sad to hear that.
There are a lot of good company out there but the competition is ruthless. Between those who make falls claims and the very low price low quality products made in china and so on. Just tough.

Antoine

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »
In my opinion based on my first oven at 30" with low mass and my current oven at 42" with moderate mass, the ideal home pizza oven would be 36" and low mass.  My 42" oven is great, but a beast to fire compared to the smaller oven.  I think a 36" would strike a nice medium while allowing enough space between the pizza and the fire for a fairly even bake consistently.  You might not achieve the level Craig does with a 10 hour fire in his commercial oven...

10 hours??!! Is there a ton of mass or no insulation or something?

Out of the ovens I have built and used, I prefer 36"- 40" range, 3.5"-4.5" mass, well insulated, and an elliptical dome.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin