Author Topic: Bay Area Neopolitan  (Read 23630 times)

Offline carl333

• Always trying to improve my dough.
Re: Bay Area Neopolitan
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »
Nice looking pies
Carl

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »
Dilemma! You should not have produced such beautiful pizza's And let the Wife know About them>:D

What if You still allowed to build Your WFO, Then you are obliged, if not expected to outperform Your current bakes! :chef:

Congrats on the BS and hope to Your future pies from A WFO

PS Nice name for A girl:Romona I geuss You mean: Romano

Greetings from Amsterdam,
Case.

Just an update, my wife has recently suggested we sell the Blackstone  ;D ;D ;D  She's loving cooking in residual heat all week in the WFO!

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »
Update from last weekend - two pies, both Caputo "00" Chef's Flour 100%, spring water 67%, sea salt 3%, Camaldoli 6%, feremented 59F for about 48 hours.

#1 is baby artichokes from our garden, steamed then fire roasted with crimini mushrooms, garlic, and fresh thyme, then onto the pizza with EVOO, Tallegio, and Fontina val d'Aosta, plus a sprinkle of Meyer lemon zest post-bake.

#2 is Margherita using Belfiore Cheese Co. Fior di Latte and Terra Amore & Fantasia tomatoes.

I'm loving the new wood peel. 4/4 on launches so far. A little overdone on #1, the Margherita was getting closer...

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »
Continued...

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »
Really awesome. Lovin the artichoke Pie!
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:09 PM »
Bob

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2016, 10:22:28 PM »
Really awesome. Lovin the artichoke Pie!

Gorgeous stuff Larry!

Thanks Don and Captain Bob!

I was going to do a Detroit-Style tonight in residual heat from yesterday's firing, but forgot to feed my starter, tried to make dough from the fallen starter, and... don't try to make dough from fallen starter. :-[

Offline carl333

• Always trying to improve my dough.
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2016, 07:54:25 PM »
Nice looking pies Lar. Love the bitterness that the char brings.

Carl

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2016, 08:57:52 PM »
Nice looking pies Lar. Love the bitterness that the char brings.

Thanks!

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
One of last weekend's pies with roasted artichokes, dry-cured olives, cherry tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella, then smoked salmon, basil, and EVOO post-bake.

Inspired by this Carlo Sanmarco video on Facebook:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:27:46 AM by MotoMannequin »

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »
This pizza with the Caputo "00" Chef's Flour in the new white bag, which I mention on this thread is unquestionably different than the old red bag, seems to easily take more hydration:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=43475.0

For years I've been using the red bag Chef's Flour at 67% hydration, which is about as high as I could go with that flour. That level of hydration with the white bag feels like 5% less hydration, much firmer and less sticky dough. For this dough, I decided to put the pedal to the metal and went to 70% hydration, and the dough was still easier to work with than the red bag at 67%.

Caputo "00" Chef's Flour (white bag) 100%
Spring water 70%
Camaldoli starter 6%
Mediterranean sea salt 3%

24h bulk/24h balled at 59F, 260g dough ball.

Toppings are a bunch of leftover cheese from a brunch my wife had, I can't even tell what, but certainly included in there was some 3-year Gouda, Bellwether Farms Carmody, Marin French Cheese Co. Petite Breakfast, and a couple others, plus garlic, EVOO, dried parsley and oregano.

The oven was very hot, but my temp gun said "Err3" so maybe I'm shopping for a new one of those today. My wife timed the bake at just under 60 seconds.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2016, 03:37:34 PM »
Inspired by this Carlo Sanmarco video on Facebook:

IMO, that crust doesn't look good at all. I see weak gummy gluten and big open voids which also scream weak gluten. Nothing about that pie looks tender. My guess is that it was tough and chewy.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
Agreed Craig. What I meant was that I was inspired by his toppings. I was not attempting to clone Carlo Sanmarco dough.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »
The toppings did look good. As I was watching the video, I was thinking that someone probably ate the toppings off the pie and left the crust behind  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2016, 07:05:55 PM »
The toppings did look good. As I was watching the video, I was thinking that someone probably ate the toppings off the pie and left the crust behind  :-D

LOL :-D

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2016, 06:49:46 PM »
Some pies from our 4th of July cookout. I was busy with guests so didn't manage to take too many pictures.

The dough was all:
Caputo "00" Chef's Flour new white 1KG bag 100%
spring water 70%
Camaldoli 6%
Mediterranean sea salt 3%
24 hours bulk/24 hours balled at 59F

Bakes were just short of 60s.

#1 Figs, smoked salmon, red onions, fior di latte, chevre, and honey-balsamic glaze
#2 Margherita
#3 Figs, fior di latte, chevre, and honey-balsamic glaze & chives post-bake. Someone distracted me while I was doming this and it left it up there too long  :-[
#4 Oyster & Crimini mushrooms, baby artichokes, garlic & fresh thyme, Fontina val d'Aosta, Tallegio, and baby arugula post-bake.

These are all improving but I'm still getting a feel for the heat of the oven and how to manage pies in there. Of these, probably the last one was the best crust.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »
Yesterday I convinced my company to let me take my engineering group on an afternoon of intense research. The dynamics of fire and dough were observed  ;D  I made 9 pies, but it seems only got pics of 7.

The dough was:
100% Caputo Chef's Flour from the new 1Kg white bag
70% spring water
5% Camaldoli starter
3% Mediterranean sea salt.

260g dough balls.

Fermentation schedule was slightly modified since I needed my dough balls done by lunch time, I made the dough 60 hours before and retarded in bulk for 12 hours in the fridge. Then 24 hours bulk at 59F, 24 hours balled at 59F, then about another 3 hours at room temp. The dough was in a good place when it came time to cook.

The pizzas were straight margherita using Alto Cucina tomatoes and Angela & Franco fresh mozz from Costco. Also Crimini mushrooms with brie, garlic, evoo and parseley, and a white pie using heirloom cherry tomatoes, mozz & Carmody cheese from Bellwether Farms. The mushroom pie was the hit of the day by far.

Bake times were in the 90" range. It's my first time cranking out this many pies from my oven and it performed flawlessly.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2016, 09:26:35 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2016, 06:19:38 PM »
One from this weekend - garlic and Yukon Gold potatoes roasted in a cast iron pan in the mouth of the oven while it was heating up, then buffalo mozzarella, Parmesan, red onions, green onions, Calabrian chilies, and smoked cherry tomatoes.

The cherry tomatoes, I smoked myself a couple weeks ago, after smoking a couple Copper River sockeye salmon from Costco, my BGE was getting a little hot for smoking (~240F) but still making a lot of smoke, so I looked around for anything to smoke. We often make our own oven-dried tomatoes by doing cherry tomatoes in a 200F+ oven for a few hours, so I figured, why not try smoking them. They went until they had about the consistency of sun-dried tomato, then packed under EVOO in the fridge. Man these are good. Can believe it took me this long to try it.

The dough is 260g ball, 100% Caputo "00" Chef's Flour, 70% spring water, 5% Camaldoli, 3% sea salt. 48 hours at 59F in my wine cellar.