Author Topic: How I make my NP dough  (Read 82186 times)

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: How I make my NP dough
« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2015, 03:51:35 PM »
Craig,
You seem to be the SD god on the forum so i thought i'll ask for your help :) how do i start with SD if i cant get Ischia culture that you use? Should i just start my SD by mixing flour with water, feed it when its the right time and leave the rest to wild yeast? Also how do i know SD is ready to be used? Should i still use your SD chart if not using Ischia culture?
Thanks
Jan

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
How I make my NP dough
« Reply #351 on: June 23, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
Made my starter following King Arthur flour's guidelines using flour and water. Did it again using Carl's Oregon Trail starter, which you can get for free. Google friends of Carl Oregon starter. Don't follow their directions though. Just add water and flour every day or every couple of days until it is bubbling nicely. It is good to go when it is nice and airy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:26:48 PM by David Esq. »

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #352 on: June 23, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »
I use the chart (iPhone app version) and it works fine with either starter.

Offline tommes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
Hello IIFYMpizza,

take a look at http://sourdoughhome.com/index.php?content=startingastarter or, if you speak german der-sauerteig.de

best regards Thomas

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #354 on: June 23, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »
Furthering David's comment, the table seems to be a reasonably good predictor for most SD cultures. It should get you fairly close. Keep notes and adjust your fermentation time/temp as needed.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #355 on: June 24, 2015, 04:22:36 PM »
Thank you guys for the info, i'll make sure to let you know how it all went. I started my SD 2 days ago and after 24h i fed it (flour and water 1:1) ratio. Before i fed it was bubbly and seemed alive, today it doesnt look like it anymore. Should i feed it or wait? If so should i add just flour or flour and water?
Jan

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #356 on: June 24, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »
Yes, feed it flour and water. If it's ready for use, it should double in 2-3 hours. If it's a new starter, it could take several days or more to be ready to use.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #357 on: June 24, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »
Thanks a lot Craig. Dont really know what kind of difference to expect after switching from CY/IY to a SD but we shall see. Want to start working on my formula using starter as i wait for my p134h and things are about to get serious  :chef:

Offline David Esq.

• Eating With David
« Reply #358 on: June 24, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »
Your starter's first bubbling is bacterial activity. The yeast activity usually happens after you think it must have died. Feed it once a day or every other until it bubbles again.

Offline maltdoctor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #359 on: June 26, 2015, 06:58:43 AM »
Thanks for all the great tips, this is a great thread!  A lot of new things to try on my next few pizza making sessions.

Offline IIFYMpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #360 on: June 27, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »
Guys,
another question. If i ferment my dough in 70F vs 60-65F does it make it harder for me to work with it when its time to bake? I find that my dough opens up almost to easy, yet i dont think it overfermented as its still pretty strong and the activation at the bottom is close to what i see on your pictures. Would putting the dough in the fridge for 20 mins before openning up be a good idea?  Also what is the reason you choose to do bulk ferment stage? What kind of difference does it make vs rising the dough balled entire time?
Thanks as always
Jan

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #361 on: June 27, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »
70F should be fine. If your dough opens too easily, do less time in balls. I wouldn't suggest putting the dough in the fridge before baking. For one thing, I doubt it will accomplish what you want and the temperature won't eaulize in 20 minutes. Also, it might have negative effects on the baked crust. I do at least 24 hours bulk because more than 24 hours in balls is too much for me. The longer it is in balls the less elastic it's going to be as the gluten has more time to relax.

Offline NestorP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #362 on: June 29, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »
Thanks for the great info Craig. Just got my SD starter up and running...  Two questions:

1. Salt in dough recipe -- table or Kosher? (I know table is much stronger).

2. Mixer -- I have the same one.  Do you set it on lowest (stir) setting?  I assume it runs during the entire 5 min you are adding the additional flour?

Thanks!

The last of the pics:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #363 on: June 30, 2015, 12:14:12 AM »
Thanks for the great info Craig. Just got my SD starter up and running...  Two questions:

1. Salt in dough recipe -- table or Kosher? (I know table is much stronger).

2. Mixer -- I have the same one.  Do you set it on lowest (stir) setting?  I assume it runs during the entire 5 min you are adding the additional flour?

Thanks!

1. Kosher, but when you measure by weight, the difference is not particularly meaningful.

2) yes, on speed one or two.

Offline NestorP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #364 on: June 30, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »
I realized that (measuring by weight) a few minutes after I hit send. Duh!

As for the mixing, I ended up adding some more flour to the mixer as the dough was VERY wet and did not form into a ball like your pictures. Not sure if I should have or not. Nor was my dough as beautifully silky as yours after my stretch and folds (I also used bench flour at this step).  I'll learn with practice!

Here's a pic of the bulk after 22 hours or so (the discoloration is on the container, not the dough).  When I ball, is there some preferred technique you could share?

Thanks again, your posts have been very helpful.

1. Kosher, but when you measure by weight, the difference is not particularly meaningful.

2) yes, on speed one or two.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #365 on: June 30, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
When I ball, is there some preferred technique you could share?

I don't do anything particularly interesting. I just fold the dough back up under itself a few times making a tight ball. Seal it well at the bottom.

pizzapan