Author Topic: Finally getting the oven dialed in  (Read 1682 times)

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
Finally getting the oven dialed in
« on: September 25, 2014, 12:25:56 AM »
I have been tinkering on a custom electric oven for my apartment off and on for the past few months, and finally it looks like it is finally turning out pies that I am happy with.   The pie below was cooked in approximately 60 seconds.  Time to polish the oven up a bit now. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Finally getting the oven dialed in
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:39:13 AM »
Sean, congrats on your accomplishments with your oven. Please share what adjustments you have made. I am interested to know where the heating element is in relation to the baking pie. Do you know why the 9 o'clock position in the pic is so much darker than the rest?
Overall, that pie looks nice!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
Thanks!   Right now the element is approximately 2" above the pie, measured from the floor to the tangent of the element wire.  The element is a custom 2000W number from china.  The 9'o clock position being darker is a by product of the rev 1 oven.  Right now my door is not insulated, so the front of the oven is substantially cooler than the rear.   This pizza was cooked without rotating which lead to the one side being darker.   Rev 2 of the oven will be fully insulated which should eliminate the uneven heat.   Additionally, I just picked up some whitacre-greer fire bricks to swap my current cordierite stone with to make it easier to manage top and bottom balance.   Right now it takes some tricks to keep the balance in check due to the high conductivity of cordierite.

Offline JD

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »
Thanks!   Right now the element is approximately 2" above the pie, measured from the floor to the tangent of the element wire.  The element is a custom 2000W number from china.  The 9'o clock position being darker is a by product of the rev 1 oven.  Right now my door is not insulated, so the front of the oven is substantially cooler than the rear.   This pizza was cooked without rotating which lead to the one side being darker.   Rev 2 of the oven will be fully insulated which should eliminate the uneven heat.   Additionally, I just picked up some whitacre-greer fire bricks to swap my current cordierite stone with to make it easier to manage top and bottom balance.   Right now it takes some tricks to keep the balance in check due to the high conductivity of cordierite.

How are you powering this 2000W element?

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »
How are you powering this 2000W element?
20 amp kitchen outlet.   I'm pulling 16.8 amps

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »

Thanks for the info, can't wait to see the finished oven and the pies it bakes!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline JD

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »
20 amp kitchen outlet.   I'm pulling 16.8 amps

Sounds like you know what you're doing then. Hopefully your wiring is rated for 20A too :)

Hope you share some pictures

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
Sounds like you know what you're doing then. Hopefully your wiring is rated for 20A too :)

Hope you share some pictures

It is indeed.  Running all 10awg wire right now just for overkill.   I have a 3000 watt 220V element in the same design ready to drop in too once I get this all finished. Not expecting to run the 220V element though other than just a quick test.

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Some pictures from last night.
Dough:
Caputo
62% water
2.8% yeast
.32% ady
~20hr bulk and 2 hr balled ferment
240g balls

I was experimenting with the distance from deck to element and the thickness of the deck.   This was more spacing and thinner deck compared to last bake

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 12:00:45 PM »
One from this morning.  Nothing like pizza in the morning.  Hopefully this will be the last bake on the rev 1 oven.  Should have rev 2 up and running in the next week depending on waterjet availability.

Dough:
Caputo
62% water
2.8% yeast
.032% ady
~18hr bulk and 20 hr ball all at room temp.
240g balls
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:02:44 PM by seanc56 »

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 07:10:49 AM »
Hi Seanc , congratulations , well- leavened dough . good cooking  :pizza:

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 12:22:49 PM »
First test fire of the new rev 2 oven was terrifyingly amazing.   The floor reached 900F in approximately 25 minutes

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »
I've been off the forum for quite a while and not even really baking many pizzas lately but getting back into it.   Last night was a bit of a revolutionary experience with the current oven.   I finally added temperature control and changed the floor material yet again.   The heat balance top to bottom seems to be perfect.   The last thing to dial in is temperature distribution front to rear.   With the door at the front it is a bit cooler and less reflective for the IR energy.  That will be fixed in the next version of the oven.  Anyways, on to the pictures.   I only took a couple but it was a decent representation of the results. this one was launched with the floor hovering around 825F and the element glowing red.   Cooked in roughly 90 seconds, maybe a bit less.   

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 02:28:36 PM »
I don't know how I've missed this thread until now. Nice job.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »
I don't know how I've missed this thread until now. Nice job.

Thanks Craig.   It means a lot since so much of what I do is influenced by all the work you have shared on here.