Author Topic: My First Neopolitan - Critique & Advice for Next Pizzas!  (Read 389 times)

Offline ziggytk

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
My First Neopolitan - Critique & Advice for Next Pizzas!
« on: November 09, 2015, 01:15:01 PM »
Hi All,

First, a huge thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum -- this was one of my first pizza pies, and while I'm pretty pleased with the results, I'm curious what everyone thinks I should experiment / try next.

Here's an picture overview of my pizza / crust: http://imgur.com/a/1Y04x

My recipe was based on Fidel's :
Caputo 00 (Red) Flour: 100%
Water: 67%
Instant Dry Yeast: 0.8%
Salt: 2.1%

Followed by a fermentation period of 60 hours in my fridge, then letting the dough come to RT over 2 hours, balling, followed by an additional 10 hrs of resting at RT (69 - 71 F).
Baked at 550 F on a pizza stone w/ parchment paper for 7 - 8 mins + 1 min or 2 under high broiler.

Here were some issues / things I think could be improved:
1. When I put the balls to relax at RT, I covered them with saran wrap.  When I went to take the wrap off, the dough was sticking to the saran wrap, which seemed very different than the proofing box images that I saw which seemed far less sticky.
2. Rolling out the dough was a little tough - as was trying to get circles
3. The crust was good, but a bit chewy and not quite what I've seen at restaurants.  In fairness, I don't know if that's possible in my home oven, though people have gotten great results from what I can tell.

So question for you all -- any thoughts / advice on what I can try next?  I really liked having the air bubbles in the crust, but I wonder if trying lower hydration would allow the dough to be more workable, while still having the spring that I like.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:19:54 PM by ziggytk »

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: My First Neopolitan - Critique & Advice for Next Pizzas!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
Unless you have an oven with a really powerful broiler (and very very few people do), there is just no way to get anywhere close to Neapolitan in a home oven without serious and/or dangerous oven modifications, and even then, at best, it's just close. With most home ovens, it's not going to happen. Using Caputo in your home oven just makes things worse. That

You aren't really "rolling out" the dough, right?

0.8% IDY is a MASSIVE amount of yeast. I'm guessing it was overblown by the time you used it? That can make it hard to work with.

2.1% salt is on the low side for a Neapolitan flavor profile. 2.8-3.0% is common.

You might try NY style. Something like this is a good place to start: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33478.msg332404#msg332404

This thread stems from the same original formula and has lead to some beautiful pies: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35033.msg375169#msg375169
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ziggytk

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: My First Neopolitan - Critique & Advice for Next Pizzas!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
Oops!  I mis-typed the wrong # for my IDY -- it was 0.16% vs. 0.8g for my 500g of flour  :angel:

And yes, didn't actually roll things out, just pushed out with my fingers. 

Thanks for the other thread, I'll have to check it out. 

pizzapan