Author Topic: How to stop sauce from bleeding into cornice  (Read 294 times)

Offline tbear

• I Love Pizza!
How to stop sauce from bleeding into cornice
« on: September 16, 2015, 03:07:39 AM »
I've got some remarkable tasting pies coming out my oven now, but as you can see the sauce is bleeding into the cornice. How do I keep it inside the cornice? I'm spreading sauce to the edge of cornice, not into it. Btw, that's a duck magret pizza.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:02:36 PM by tbear »

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
Re: How to stop sauce from bleeding into cornice
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
First of all, not a bad lookin' pie!

Regarding your question, here's what's happening. You are spreading your sauce with the expectation of where the cornice will start inflating, but the cornice inflates further into your pie and into your sauce margin. Also, it appears that your cornice is over-inflating a bit. You can get it smaller. Here's what to do...

1. Hand stretch your dough where 97% of the full diameter is even and flat.
2. Leave only about a 1/4 inch tapering to a very slightly thicker rim. VERY slightly thicker and almost unnoticeablly thicker.
3. Judging by the photo above, you are using too much dough for that diameter of finished pie. For a 30cm finished pie 270g to 290g dough balls are best.
4. Hand stretch to roughly 25 cm, dress your pie with a sauce margin leaving one inch for your rim to inflate, then give it a final stretch when transferring to your peel to get it to 30 cm.
5. Re-position your toppings if necessary and launch.

The 1/4" outer rim should inflate nicely to a full inch and should avoid inflating inside your sauce margin. Just keep trying and maybe dial down the yeast a bit too.

Hope that helps!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How to stop sauce from bleeding into cornice
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »

I believe Fidel hit the nail on the head.

But, to add to what Fidel has said, when I was researching the way that Papa John's makes its pizzas, I discovered what are called "locks". There is an edge-lock (even a double edge-lock), a sauce lock and a cheese lock. Apparently, workers in the stores are taught how to use these locks, although I don't know if that is universally done in all of the PJ stores. I wrote about the locks in Reply 747 at

If your sauce has a lot of water, that might also exacerbate the problem you experienced. Tom Lehmann often suggests that one place a quantity of sauce on a china plate and let it rest for about a half hour. If a water ring forms around the sauce upon settling, that might pose a problem on the pizza. In his case, his main concern is usually a gumline problem but maybe it can be a concern apart from a potential gumline problem, including wet pizzas where there is excess water on the pizzas.

Finally, there are rings that some pizza operators use to keep sauce and cheese from covering the unbaked rims. Pizza Hut used to use such rings. You can see what one version looks like at I am not suggesting that you use such a ring, and I only mention it because some pizza operators go to great lengths to keep the sauce and cheese off of the rims (and for better portion control).