Author Topic: My Neapolitan Pizza Adventure  (Read 7611 times)

Offline csafranek

Re: My Neapolitan Pizza Adventure
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »
Those look incredible!!! So explain your spinach and Meyer lemon please!

Thank you,
Chad

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2014, 07:24:19 PM »
crkoller, your pizzas (and calzone!) are really first rate.  Really good looking pizza. Well done! 

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »
Those look incredible!!! So explain your spinach and Meyer lemon please!

Hey chad,

Reply #19 on this thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30522.0

But in a nutshell, based of cheese (buffalo mozzarella is the best), but regular fresh mozzarella, Boursin, ricotta or gruyere all work great. Then add garlic, black pepper and olive oil. Get the pizza right at the mouth of the oven and load it up with baby or regular spinach and let her rip. Make sure to some it so you get the roasted spinach flavors. Squeeze half a Meyer lemons and drizzle more oil olive on top and enjoy quickly. That photo is pre lemon squeeze hence the leaves aren't wet looking - the only photo post juice was a bit blurry so I didn't post it

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:03 AM »
The "panna" is now my wife's favorite pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 02:54:27 AM »

This panna thing is on the 'to do' list for Saturday and maybe an Easter appetizer on Sunday. The whole cultured cream thing got me before I finished reading the sentence!!! Doing chicken on the grill tomorrow so maybe a panna chicken combo or prosciutto I just thawed out. It will be the first time for the BS in 2014 as it was froze in for most of the winter as were most of us!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline crkoller

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »

Well hearing that made my day haha

It took me a couple of tries to find the perfect balance of cream and tomato to add without over doing it, but when you hit that sweet spot the pies sing! Glad she liked it! I haven't check your thread, but I definitely want to see a photo if you haven't posted one yet

Happy Easter

CRK

Offline crkoller

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »
Jon let me know how you like the cultured cream idea, kind of cool right. We could rename the pie "dual fermented"...well maybe something a bit more catchy, but I like how we can just harass energy of microorganism a to change a course of humble ingredients into world class food

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2014, 05:54:41 PM »
2 words....AWE SOME!!! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31480.msg312938#msg312938
Here's a pic of the last one I did today. This is already a regular item on my pies after last nite and today. EVERYONE loved them. The 2 I took to my ma's house today went in 20 minutes. Like cows to the trough....cardboard all but licked clean :-D

jon

Offline crkoller

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »
Jon

That looks fantastic! Love the charring on that pie, the combination seems earthy and rich! Glad to see that cream will be added to the repertoire

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »
  It really adds an overall creaminess and taste that I did not expect.  Those eating it just thought it was the cheese that was that texture and when I told them how to make the cultured cream they loved it even more!  I've made cultured cream before to make homemade butter but never thought of applying it this way.  One of the best ideas since the Aleppo chili flakes hit from Diana (dhorst). Used a squirt bottle as you suggested. Stellar idea to say the least!! My blood tests will hate you though  >:D :-D

jon

Offline crkoller

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2014, 08:28:25 AM »
Exactly, it borders the line of cream and cheese - best of both in many ways. As for you blood tests lots of new data suggest fat might not be as bad as we once thought http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link/ the wheat in the dough might be our downfall though  :o

Offline crkoller

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2014, 08:44:42 PM »
This was without question the best bake I've had yet to date. Maybe it was because I had my lucky charm with me...(my girlfriend).

These were 18 hour doughs 100% Caputo, 61% water, 0.2% IDY, 2.8% salt. The first two pies baked at around 800 on the flour and well over 1200 in the dome. After I readjusted the logs the next pies came out a lot better and I got some amazing micro-leoparding. Pies were cooked in about 45 seconds on a 950 floors after readjustment.

Chive pie, ramp pie, tomato ramp pies, and finally ramp and lemon. If you don't know what a ramp is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum they are wild leeks growing in the Appalachian mountains than have a nice bright garlicky and onion aroma and taste. They have become super trendy and a sought after 'foodie' ingredient recently and despite my general indifference for obnoxious food trends these guys are the real deal. Absolutely delicious
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:47:43 PM by crkoller »

Offline crkoller

« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »
More photos. Ramp pies have mozzarella and pecorino. The last one has about 1/3 of a lemon drizzle on top.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2014, 09:19:12 PM »
Chrissy,

Very nice pies!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2014, 09:40:06 PM »
Great looking pizzas, CR.  Love those ramps too! 

Offline crkoller

« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
Oven was running a bit hot last night (975 on the floor), but added two new pies into the mix which were big hits. Fried artichoke hearts in paper thin slices added mid-bake & a fried eggplant one which was very right and tasty.

A question for everyone - I am heading to Naples in two weeks and was curious where I should go. I am planning on going to Da Michele, Starita, Del Presidente, and Di Matteo (Tranon and La Notiza if I have time), any other suggestion?

-Chris

scott123

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
A question for everyone - I am heading to Naples in two weeks and was curious where I should go. I am planning on going to Da Michele, Starita, Del Presidente, and Di Matteo (Tranon and La Notiza if I have time), any other suggestion?

50 Kal˛

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=29881.0

If your time is limited, I'd definitely skip Starita, as it doesn't make it on many top ten lists, and you can most likely just as easily match the experience with a trip to NY. The NY Starita location won't have the same history, but it should have the same Montanara.  Not that the NY Starita is a must visit pizzeria, either.  It's just that, if you really feel compelled to go to a Starita, go in NY, where, hopefully, you might find yourself with a bit more time. If you ended up going to Starita in Naples and skipped 50 Kal˛, that would be incredibly tragic, imo.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »
If you ended up going to Starita in Naples and skipped 50 Kal˛, that would be incredibly tragic, imo.

Noted, thanks Scott - Starita just got subbed out for 50 Kalˇ

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
Chris,

You might also want to get recommendations by posting on this board (Pizzeria/Restaurants Recommendations):

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=66.0

You can also scan or search the threads on that board.

Peter

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2014, 05:24:18 PM »
Beautifully baked pies.

Please please take a lot of pictures when in Naples.  If not too much to ask, take videos also. 

pizzapan