Author Topic: My Neapolitan Pizza Adventure  (Read 8344 times)

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
Re: My Neapolitan Pizza Adventure
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 04:55:32 PM »
Whenever I have problems with the floor overheating (getting distracted, etc), I cool it down using a tea kettle.  Fill up a tea kettle with a little water, carefully place it to the part of the floor where you bake the pies, and it will absorb the heat.  It typically just takes 5-10 minutes to cool down the floor back to the 900s or upper 800s.

I am going to sound dumb for asking this, but a solid metal tea-kettle? That's a really smart idea that I like a lot - there was the suggestion from the crowd after I explained what happen to toss some water and/or ice in there to knock down that temp, but I think from the size my eyes got they quickly realized that that probably was not the greatest plan...

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »
I am going to sound dumb for asking this, but a solid metal tea-kettle? That's a really smart idea that I like a lot - there was the suggestion from the crowd after I explained what happen to toss some water and/or ice in there to knock down that temp, but I think from the size my eyes got they quickly realized that that probably was not the greatest plan...

Hi Chris.  Yes a solid one.  Here is a link to to one I am using:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N5WFII/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Its tiny size is perfect for the oven.  I also use it for an additional source of steam when baking bread.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »
Its tiny size is perfect for the oven.  I also use it for an additional source of steam when baking bread.

Sweet, thanks for the link

Offline crkoller

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »
Tonights bake was a 24 hour ferment 61.5% hydrated dough. 0.2%IDY and 2.9% NaCl. Dome was up around 1150F at the start of the bake and the floor was much calmer today at 820F, none of the bottoms burned they were all nicely charred. The  outer crusts were light and fluffy with a glass-like crunch. Six pies total, 1 Marinara, 1 Rosa (Bianco), 1 Green and White w/ Lemon, 1 LM Mozzarella, 2 Margheritas (one of which was coated in Calabrian Chile Oil).

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 08:14:28 PM »
Straight out of Naples. Perfect bake.

John

Offline crkoller

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »
Straight out of Naples. Perfect bake
Thanks John! They were really awesome, obviously the margheritas were great, I mean buffalo mozzarella, San Marzano tomato, basil is just a perfect combo, but the stand out tonight was the Marinara. It came out of the oven and there was this beautiful perfume of oregano and olive oil. That pie also lends itself nicely to really taste the wheat of the dough and the heat of the oven

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 11:00:52 PM »
Very very nice! 

Offline crkoller

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
I made four pies on 21-JAN-2014. Went with 100% Caputo, 61.5% water, 3.0% salt, 0.2% IDY. Bulk for 12 and balled for 9 hours. It was snowing here in NC so I had to improvise and make the pizzas inside and shuttle them out, inconvenience but not the end of the world. 2 margheritas, 1 marinara with chiles, 1 spinach and lemon. Deck was around 800 and the dome was cruising at 1000. Crust was lighter and crispier, I think because how long they were balled.  Given the restrictions I would say it was an B+/A- bake

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2014, 09:14:04 PM »
Great color on that one!
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2014, 09:22:11 PM »
 ^^^   Yes sir...that's a beauty.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline crkoller

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
Today's pizzas was a 100% Caputo, 61% Water, 3% Salt, 03.% IDY dough. All around 80 second bakes. First was a spin on Pizzeria Delfina's "Panna": Tomato, Heavy Cream, Olive Oil, Basil, and a bunch of Shaved Parmesan. Second was a riff on The Big Tone from Roberta's: Pesto, Mushroom, Artichoke, Buffalo Mozzarella, and Olive Oil. Third was what I call The Amalfi: Meyer Lemon, Basil, Buffalo Mozzarella, and Olive Oil. Finally a simple Margherita.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
These pies from last weekend. Caputo flour, 61% hydration, 2.9% Salt, 0.2% IDY. I've always liked staying around a 70 second bake time - I think you give yourself a nice balance between doneness on the crust and doneness of the cheese on top, although after speaking with Caleb from Pizzicletta I might be revising this workflow. Also finally tried the JDV Chive pie - I'll be honest I was not expecting this to blow me away, I thought it was a cool idea and I liked the inspiration coming from the imagery of the grass and the buffalo...that being said, wow, absolutely incredible. A seriously awesome flavor combination and with certainly find its way into the regular rotation along side my baby spinach/lemon pie and the riff on Defina's panna.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »
Today's pizzas was a 100% Caputo, 61% Water, 3% Salt, 03.% IDY dough. All around 80 second bakes. First was a spin on Pizzeria Delfina's "Panna": Tomato, Heavy Cream, Olive Oil, Basil, and a bunch of Shaved Parmesan. Second was a riff on The Big Tone from Roberta's: Pesto, Mushroom, Artichoke, Buffalo Mozzarella, and Olive Oil. Third was what I call The Amalfi: Meyer Lemon, Basil, Buffalo Mozzarella, and Olive Oil. Finally a simple Margherita.

I missed this post. Seriously nice looking pies.

What was the order of ingredients on the "panna?" That's one I'd like to try.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »
I missed this post. Seriously nice looking pies.

What was the order of ingredients on the "panna?" That's one I'd like to try.

Hey Craig,

As I mentioned before the panna is a riff on the Pizza I had at Pizzeria Delfina in SF. Their's is here http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/06/daily-slice-the-panna-and-sausage-pizza-at-pizzeria-delfina-in-san-francisco.html (also the photo attached I pulled from google) - it's basically crushed tomatoes, basil, cream, and large shaving of parmigiano reggiano. It is a great pie and it works especially well because their pies have much more structure than your average neapolitan bake - they bake in the upper 700s for around three minutes I think?

Any way, I wanted to make it and my first attempt tasted awesome, but they left the middle of the pie particularly wet. I do not mind this at all and actually enjoy when buffalo mozzarella weeps out in the center of pies, but I wanted to see about tightening up the cream for future bakes.

Here is what I do now, its very easy - just need to remember to do it awhile before baking: Take a cup of cream and put it into a mason jar with a small spoonful of either cultured buttermilk or cultured yogurt. Leave it out for at least 6 hours and up to 18ish. The bacteria will help to thicken the cream and when it bakes you'll have less of a moisture issue. You could also just add some sour cream to cream until its slightly thick and thats works as well or you could stabilize it locust bean gum and a mixture of carrageenans (I have a bunch of these around which is the only reason I tried doing it this way). Point being I like this pie with a good amount of tomato and a good amount of cream and to avoid too much moisture I let the cream thicken. Reminds me a lot of penne alla vodka.

Another great thing to do is top this pie with aggressively toasted panko breadcrumbs (got this trick from Robertas). Anyway definitely let me know how it goes...one of my new favorites for sure, great flavor profile.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2014, 10:15:30 PM »
Do you put down the tomato or cream first?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »
tomato then basil, cream (put in a squeeze bottle and drizzle it on top right before baking) than post bake breadcrumbs and Shaved Parm (I usually used Pecorino though)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »
Thanks!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »
Absolutely, please let me know how it goes and your thoughts! Also chili flakes are a great addition because the cream tones them down a bit

Offline crkoller

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »
Want to quickly review Pizzicletta as I had the opportunity to eat there when I was out West in Vegas for a bachelor party. I decided to work it in the itinerary as I was out in Nevada and figured I would take a couple of days to see some national parks and Flagstaff seemed as good as any place to stay one of the nights. I have been following Caleb since he started posting on Slice and his place definitely did not disappoint.

A buddy of mine and I got there at 7.30 last Tuesday on a beautiful night in Flagstaff. The first thing you will notice when you walk in is the simple and warm decor of the restaurant, which you can do in about 2 seconds...this place is small, like shoebox small. I have seen photos online and my brain knew the rough square footage, but until you are inside you can't appreciate just how small it really is.

We each got a pie me a margherita and him the amore oi mari (marscapone, pecorino, arugula and prosciutto) - I was really taken back with the texture of the crust, it was crisp yet supple and tender. Super consistently cooked throughout the pie and the mircoleoparding add just the perfect amount of bitterness via charring.

Upon the realization of still having a good amount of my Fat Tire Snapshot beer left we decided to split a Marinara - this to me was the pie of the night - truly showcased the Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes (http://biancodinapoli.com/) which had a beautiful sweetness and great acidity that let the flavor evolve with every bite. It came to the table pouring out the fragrance of oregano and garlic, absolutely wonderful.

This was the point in the night that two people 160lbs and me at 135lbs respectively should have stopped. Yet we marched on to the special of the night which was a Straciatelli, Pecorino, Basil and Balsamic pie. Speaking honestly it worked better on paper and as a concept than in the mouth. The flavors got a bit lost between one another and the pie was missing something - extra salt, heat from a chili or even a little lemon would have done a great deal to elevate this pie.

At this point fully bursting with pizza I figure we were in this deep why not go for broke and get one more pie of the two left that we hadn't tried. It was an arugula tomato and pecorino pie and was a perfect way to close the night with a little red chili flake sprinkled on top. Bitter, salty and acidic. On a we had to try to roasted almond gelato - best gelato I have had this side of Italy if anyone is curious...

Overall it was a great dining experience: you get to watch Caleb at work in a warm and inviting environment, the staff is extremely knowledgeable and attentive, the food is great, and I got to chat with Mr. Schiff himself which was certainly a cherry on top of my evening. If I am ever out there again it definitely going to merit a second viewing. Motorino still is the pacecar for me, but Pizzicletta has an excellent spirit and authentic flavors.

Side thoughts:

A lot of place seems to be into 'hademade' mozzarella, Pizzicletta being one of them, my assumption being they are pulling it there and getting the curd from somewhere else. I'll will say it was fine, nothing to get excited about and frankly I was expecting it to have more flavor than it did - if you had given it to me blind I 100% would not be able to get excited about it. For me unless you are ordering curd from Di Paolo's or some other top tier provider I would just stick with Fior di Latte or Mozzarella di Bufala imported straight from Italy, refining the dough process is difficult enough and cheesemaking I would argue is even more difficult, I know Caleb falls a bit into the artisan community of restaurant owners, but this to me seemed like a place that could be improved and actually decrease work time.

Second random thought is where can I find access to these Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes - they are insanely delicious, rival most of the SM tomatoes I have used in the past and certainly are some of the best american tomatoes out there.

Finally, I want a Ferrara oven...they are not only beautiful you can just see the evenness of heat they pump out. First time in awhile I have been so close to one and they never disappoint in beauty or in function.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2014, 04:38:37 PM »
Bake from this weekend. 3 times of dough one 18 hour 100% Caputo, 61.5% water, 0.2% IDY, 2.8% Salt. One 60 hours 100% Caputo, 60% water, 3.9% salt, 0.02% IDY cold ferment. And the final dough was a naturally leavened dough, which my friend brought which was closer to 63% hydration and used Gold Medal bread flour also cold fermented. The last two pics show the beautiful browning on the natural yeast culture.

Also for anyone who hasn't tried the spinach and meyer lemon pie - try it immediately I promise you won't regret it.

pizzapan