Author Topic: How do you grate soft, whole milk (NOT "low moisture") Polly-O Mozz?  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
At Costco they sell 2# blocks of Polly O whole milk mozz.  But it's not low moisture, so it's really soft.  Is there a good way to grate it?  I was thinking of freezing it first.

Is there a better way?  How do/would you grate refrigerated non-low-moisture whole milk mozz?

TIA (thanks in advance),

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Hi Gluten

• Supporting Member
  • This is how you make Swiss Cheese, not Mozz!
Re: How do you grate soft, whole milk (NOT "low moisture") Polly-O Mozz?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 08:38:19 PM »
Hi Fio,

I generally take my "block" mozz and put it in a food processor. I pulse it to a small dice. Seems to work on all mozz. The reason that I do this is two fold...
One, it is quick and convenient. Other than cleaning the processor.
Two, once the cheese is laid out on the pie, you can easily spread it out over the pizza. Shredded/grated mozz won't spread as easily and can stick together in mini clumps.

Putting it in the freezer for a half an hour prior will also help.

Cheeses I buy already shredded/grated is used as is.   :pizza:

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:03:29 PM »
Hi Fio,

I generally take my "block" mozz and put it in a food processor. I pulse it to a small dice. Seems to work on all mozz. The reason that I do this is two fold...
One, it is quick and convenient. Other than cleaning the processor.
Two, once the cheese is laid out on the pie, you can easily spread it out over the pizza. Shredded/grated mozz won't spread as easily and can stick together in mini clumps.
 :pizza:

Cool. . . but how does the soft cheese hold up to the tempestuous flurry of the food processor chopping blade?  You use the regular chopping blade, right?

The reason I ask is, when dough is mixed with a dough hook, the friction of the dough rubbing against itself generates heat, which warms the dough.   I would think that in a food processor, the same would happen. :o  Wouldn't the cheese be rendered into a warm sludge?

Or do  you avoid that by doing a short "pulse" burst?

Of course, I'm probably over-thinking this, being the food geek that I am.  :chef:

Thanks again for your reply,

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 11:12:33 PM »
My Robot Coup (food service grade processor) turns any cheese into Cheez-Whiz!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Hi Gluten

• Supporting Member
  • This is how you make Swiss Cheese, not Mozz!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 08:22:05 PM »
First, I'm envious of your Robot Coup...  ;D

Secondly...pulse, don't puree.

Thirdly...COLD cheese and if necessary put the bowl and blade in the freezer. I do this all the time, since I like making cheese blends.

Fourthly...don't try this with soft fresh mozzarella.

:chef:  :pizza:

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 08:46:24 PM »
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

The robot coup is great, but it weighs a ton.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 11:18:45 PM »
At Costco they sell 2# blocks of Polly O whole milk mozz.  But it's not low moisture, so it's really soft.  Is there a good way to grate it?  I was thinking of freezing it first.

Is there a better way?  How do/would you grate refrigerated non-low-moisture whole milk mozz?

TIA (thanks in advance),

- Fio

do you really use this as your primary cheese topping?  once i located low moisture about 13yrs ago, my pies were many fold better.  the regular supermarket item that this product you speak of is sweats out too much water, not grease, on the pizza top.

only way you get away with it is if your pizza is a sparsely cheesed pizza, or you lay about 6 chunks of it like u would for fresh mutz, while the underlayer is low moisture. 

Offline myxsix

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 09:56:12 AM »
Apparently, many NY pizza places will make sure the cheese is well chilled and then run it through a meet grinder to "grate" it  - which is probably what gives NYC pizza the characteristic curls.

Offline myxsix

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 09:56:46 AM »
sorry that would be "meat" grinder

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 10:14:53 PM »
I've got a junky old JCPenney food processor that I recently started using for grating the 2# Polly-O.  Works like a champ.  It does better if the cheese is still a little frozen.  I had Polly-O this weekend for the first time in about 6 months.  It's a great pizza cheese.  It's creamy, not too salty, not tart at all, and not as greasy as Grande.  As a matter of fact, the only reason I made the effort to try other cheeses lately is because the Polly-O was a pain in the neck to cut up myself.  But, with the food processor, it's great.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 08:43:11 AM »
I get big blocks of whole milk cheese and use my biggie meat grinder with hand crank. Papa Del's in Champaign used to grate their cheese like this(only with an electric machine). It makes for great crumbled/shredded consistency, and your can dump a handful in one spot on the pie, and just spread it with your hands, which you can't really do with plain shredded. ;D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »
Shredded bagged cheese has paper added to it prevent it from sticking together.  Read the label.

Randy

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 12:15:10 AM »
I get big blocks of whole milk cheese and use my biggie meat grinder with hand crank. Papa Del's in Champaign used to grate their cheese like this(only with an electric machine). It makes for great crumbled/shredded consistency, and your can dump a handful in one spot on the pie, and just spread it with your hands, which you can't really do with plain shredded. ;D

I tried this with two cheeses, but I used the kitchen aid meat grinder, with the coarse plate, mounted on my Hobart N-50.  Both cheeses were frozen, then the blocks hacked apart with a mallet and cleaver (Don't EVER do that!).

1) Polly-O whole milk, not low-moisture:  Worked OK.  Came out crumbly. I really had to force feed the grinder.

3) Grande low-moisture whole milk: A disaster.   The cheese came out in the form of long worms, like hamburger.  I REALLY had to force feed the grinder.  It was a mess.  I hope the cheese is not ruined. 

Simply put: It was too much work to hack the frozen blocks into smaller pieces and the results were awful.   Even if I were to cut it up before freezing it (I know better; why didn't I?), it appears the fastest, easiest,cleanest and most efficient way is to grate the cheese by hand, using a cheap dime-store cheese grater.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 07:07:21 AM »
If you take the blocks of cheese from the freezer and unwrap them they will thaw enough to cut with a good knife fairly quickly.  I cut a block of Poly-o part skim into four sections to feed it into the KitchenAid shredder using the coarse grade.  Works perfectly.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 12:56:08 PM »
I finaly got my hands on some polly-o whole milk (not low-moisture) in the 8 oz. size. All I have to say is.."wow"! It had great flavor and had the stingy consistency I've been looking for. Not what I'd expect from a general grocery brand. My DH thought the cheese had somewhat of a mild provelone flavor when eaten raw.

My question is for those that freeze cheese.

In previous posts it sounded like the cheese should be shredded before feezing, but in this post it sounds like it would be a good idea, to freeze in-order to grate it.
1) Polly-O whole milk, not low-moisture:  Worked OK.  Came out crumbly. I really had to force feed the grinder.
Has anyone who uses this type of polly-o noticed any problems, like the cheese curdling and becoming crumbly like previously frozen cheddar. I couldn't tell if the crumbling mentioned in the quote above was from the processing or if it was from the freezing.

I'm especially wanting to know if there has been any changes to the final texture to the cheese after baking the previously frozen product on the pizza? It was great and I'd hate to mess it up.

Anyone tried the Sara Lee whole milk mozz? Very soft, probably not low-moisture. It was sitting right next to the polly-o in a 9 or 10 lb block for about a $1 a pound.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 05:56:48 PM »
I do notice that the cheese changes a bit after freezing, but it is not a major change.  I think  most people will be quite happy with properly frozen cheese.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 06:06:52 PM »
properly frozen ???

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 05:08:04 AM »
frozen quickly in smaller chunks (than whole 6lb chunks), Not freezer burned, and matured cheese.

I tried freezing green cheese and it never seemed to ripen properly after thawing.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 12:28:53 PM »
What do you mean by "green" cheese?  I have a 2 lb. block of Polly-0 from Costco, I assume that it has an expiration date on it, but I don't know if there is a born-on date.

I've just been slicing off thin slices and using that on the pizza, seems to work pretty well assuming you don't overload the pie.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 02:06:42 PM »
Wally,

This piece will tell you all about "green" cheese: http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi/noframes/read/10978.

Peter

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 02:53:20 PM »
Fascinating. I had never heard of this before. Once again, I am glad I found and support this site.  I'll have to check the date on my cheese more often! :)