Author Topic: Recipe Review--My First Sourdough Attempt  (Read 471 times)

Offline danhillida

• I Love Pizza!
Recipe Review--My First Sourdough Attempt
« on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »
Hello.  As I mentioned in my mandatory introduction, I've been crawling through the forum since about september when pizza making first perked my interest.  I've made several pizza's, and am just trying to nail down a recipe I really like.  I had a hard time finding the exact information I wanted on sourdough, but I've kind of hodged podged together a recipe that I just made tonight and wanted to document/get feedback.  Basically it's a recipe for New York Style dough from the website "feelingfoodish.com" that I've slowly been adjusting to my taste. Here it is:

16.8 OZ Bread Flour 100%
19.3 OZ Starter 115% (Starter has 42% Hydration)(Originally Carl Griffiths)
9.3 OZ Coors Original 55% (Taste the Rockies!)
15.6 G Salt 3%
1 OZ Honey 6%
.3 OZ Olive Oil (2%) HOWEVER I didn't see the decimal in my chicken scratch so I added 3% Oil for 28%  :-[

I mixed the salt and flour together; in a different bowl mixed room temp beer, honey, and starter; and then combined with the dry ingredients mixed in slowly.  Oil went in at the very end.  I hand kneeded for 10 minutes.  Quartered and balled the dough and it is now sitting in the fridge.

Seeing as how I added 10X's the oil I intended, quite a bit of flour went into the kneading process.  After I spent all the time preparing the starter I didn't have the heart to throw it out.  So I decided to kneed it and see how it turns out. 

Thanks,
Dan

[Edit: I had to clarify the mixing procedure and spelling]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:06:46 PM by danhillida »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Recipe Review--My First Sourdough Attempt
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
Dan,

I'm interested to see how your recipe goes.  You may want to check this thread out.  It has proven to be very helpful in figuring out the approximate amount of starter to use in a pizza or bread recipe. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22649.0.html

Mary Ann

Offline danhillida

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
Dan,

I'm interested to see how your recipe goes.  You may want to check this thread out.  It has proven to be very helpful in figuring out the approximate amount of starter to use in a pizza or bread recipe. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22649.0.html

Even though it's a little early (waaaaaaaaay to early based on the link) I'm probably going to try and do a bake tonight and see how it turns out after 2 days.  Thanks so much for that link, it's very helpful. 

Offline danhillida

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
Well, it turned out better than I thought it would.  I actually really liked it!  Not very sour, but very tasty and I was surprised how much the crust rose, (probably because of incomplete fermentation?).  I have two more dough balls that I'll probably cook Thursday.  It didn't stretch very well, which I attribute more to my hand kneading than the dough.  However, while stretching the first crust, it tore a little dime sized hole in the skin when I tried to toss it.  Could that be from too much starter breaking down the gluten?

It was baked at 550 (I know, I know), on a pizza stone with another pizza stone directly above it.  The first pizza stretched better but I didn't get pictures of it :/

Both were topped the same, with my half being a Rosa and on my girlfriend's half she added mushrooms and grated some parmesian.

pizzapan